United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anybody read it?

I know this is a book based is a retelling of 'Cupid and Psyche.' Is this retelling based on anger towards God and our narcissism? Eventually finding God's silence as a lesson to learn from that silence?

What is your impression?

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Till we have Faces is an awesome book. It is my favourite CS Lewis work. It essentially tells the story from the perspective of Psyche's sister Orual. It has many themes, not so much God's silence, as our inability to see God. The thing is that Orual glimpses Eros, but denies it to herself, and convinces herself of the quotidian. There is also a rich vein of ideas of myth vs reality, of things being 'more real' than they appear; with Psyche's tale retold in a neighbouring country; the Rock of Ungit, as an 'Asian Aphrodite', viscerally more true than the Fox explaining ideas, a Greek philosopher; etc. It combines many themes present throughout Lewis' work, but the overarching idea is that we cannot see God, until we have faces ourselves to be able to. You cannot see God until you can accept Him, perhaps.

I highly recommend it.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for your take on it. :thumbsup:
Till we have Faces is an awesome book. It is my favourite CS Lewis work. It essentially tells the story from the perspective of Psyche's sister Orual. It has many themes, not so much God's silence, as our inability to see God. The thing is that Orual glimpses Eros, but denies it to herself, and convinces herself of the quotidian. There is also a rich vein of ideas of myth vs reality, of things being 'more real' than they appear; with Psyche's tale retold in a neighbouring country; the Rock of Ungit, as an 'Asian Aphrodite', viscerally more true than the Fox explaining ideas, a Greek philosopher; etc. It combines many themes present throughout Lewis' work, but the overarching idea is that we cannot see God, until we have faces ourselves to be able to. You cannot see God until you can accept Him, perhaps.

I highly recommend it.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0