United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Tribune Editorial: BYU finally admits its students want Coke

BYU finally admits its students want Coke and other caffeinated products. This is a strange news story to me on many levels. Most interesting is the enthusiasm so many of these kids have for being able to get a soft drink that most children half their age in the US can get very easily.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
How Healthy Is Coffee? The Latest Evidence

If it is about health, soda could perhaps be rejected on those grounds, but coffee and tea are highly debatable.

On another note, I read somewhere that Mormons consume far more jelly per capita then any other population. So they are fine with artificial colourants and sweeteners, but balk at caffeine? Weird.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If it is about health, soda could perhaps be rejected on those grounds, but coffee and tea are highly debatable.

On another note, I read somewhere that Mormons consume far more jelly per capita then any other population. So they are fine with artificial colourants and sweeteners, but balk at caffeine? Weird.
There are all sorts of teas which are good for your health and digestion.

Green tea hot or cold is very good for your colon.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Tribune Editorial: BYU finally admits its students want Coke

BYU finally admits its students want Coke and other caffeinated products. This is a strange news story to me on many levels. Most interesting is the enthusiasm so many of these kids have for being able to get a soft drink that most children half their age in the US can get very easily.
LDS folks of all ages drink soda of all types. There has never been a ban on this. This one university just didn't sell them before now, in it's quirkiness.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon

Again, there's no ban on soda, caffeine, or even herbal tea.

The ban on coffee is not based upon secular health studies, but about a covenant we make with God.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Again, there's no ban on soda, caffeine, or even herbal tea.

The ban on coffee is not based upon secular health studies, but about a covenant we make with God.
Why do Mormons eat so much jelly though? Do you know?

What do you serve after Church instead of Coffee and Tea like the rest of us?

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Utah (not Mormons at large) is culturally really big into eating jelly on sandwiches, biscuits, etc. It's just a local cultural favorite, like Kansas and bbq. Only like 15% of Mormons live in UT.
If it's potluck week, then potluck of course!

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Utah (not Mormons at large) is culturally really big into eating jelly on sandwiches, biscuits, etc. It's just a local cultural favorite, like Kansas and bbq. Only like 15% of Mormons live in UT.
I think there is some cultural confusion here, though. I mean Gelatine when I say jelly, as in the dessert. Not fruit preserves or jam.

I found this, that it was even used as a mascot for the Salt Lake City Games:

Why Mormons Love JELL-O

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I think there is some cultural confusion here, though. I mean Gelatine when I say jelly, as in the dessert. Not fruit preserves or jam.

I found this, that it was even used as a mascot for the Salt Lake City Games:

Why Mormons Love JELL-O
Oh, you meant Jell-o, not jelly-- thank you for the clarification. In that case: Utah culture LOVES Jello. It really is just a local cultural quirk, like Kansas and bbq. It's not really a "Mormon" thing: Jello is popular even among the nonLDS Utahans, and >85% of Mormons don't live in UT. For example, Mormons living in the Amazon aren't into Jello at all ;)

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

It's not about health, as the mormon culture is anything but healthy in regards to food and eating. It is about their "Word of Wisdom" which was created by Joseph Smith and prescribes some rather arbitrary dietary laws that are entirely faith-based with no basis in scientific reality regarding nutrition. Hence the continuation of BYU to not serve coffee or tea.

What's odd about it, and this is the reason people think it's about caffeine even though the "Word of Wisdom" prohibits "hot drinks", is that mormons who observe the dietary law will still not drink iced coffee or iced tea, and many of them won't even drink soda.

So, while technically this is the result of a rule made by BYU's food service, the reality is that it was most likely influenced by the mormon cultural habit of avoiding caffeinated soft drinks which, in turn, is rooted in the conception many had that the offending portion of "hot drinks" is the caffeine.

And of course the irony is that the students would be much better off health-wise if BYU decided to serve coffee and tea (hot or iced) and NOT caffeinated, carbonated soft drinks which are under more scrutiny today than ever before. In this day and age, they could have easily justified not serving soda from purely a health perspective and people would have understood that based on what we now know about how dangerous sodas are.

Also I'm curious if their ban on soft drinks pertained to lemonade and those carbonated drinks like Sprite that contain no caffeine?

As I said in my OP, it's just quite odd on several levels. I say this as I sip my fine Colombian coffee and I feel bad for those people who deprive themselves from enjoying such a healthful, delicious beverage!

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Red wine is another "banned" drink by the lds which seems to have some health benefits.

Red wine and your heart

It's odd that the Lord didn't know this when he supposedly gave the "Word of Wisdom" to Joseph Smith.

Also odd that the Nauvoo Cafe in SLC serves hot drinks like cocoa and tea, plus fountain drinks. Even has a "Coca-Cola Pork Loin".

Nauvoo Cafe - Cafe in Salt Lake City | Temple Square

Even more odd was the Nauvoo store opened by Joseph Smith sold coffee and tea. And some of the "brethern" even chewed tobacco during their meetings there. Also, Joseph Smith sent for some wine while he was in jail before he was killed.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Red wine is another "banned" drink by the lds which seems to have some health benefits.

You can get most of the resveratol from the fruit itself or from juices.

Red wine and your heart

Even more odd was the Nauvoo store opened by Joseph Smith sold coffee and tea. And some of the "brethern" even chewed tobacco during their meetings there. Also, Joseph Smith sent for some wine while he was in jail before he was killed.

The church didn't regard the Word of Wisdom as binding at the time, just a recommendation.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
It's not about health, as the mormon culture is anything but healthy in regards to food and eating. It is about their "Word of Wisdom" which was created by Joseph Smith and prescribes some rather arbitrary dietary laws that are entirely faith-based with no basis in scientific reality regarding nutrition. Hence the continuation of BYU to not serve coffee or tea.
From the LDS perspective: prophets receive revolution from God. Joseph Smith was one such prophet. The Word of Wisdom is a covenant we make with God, and is not about secular scientific studies.
What's odd about it, and this is the reason people think it's about caffeine even though the "Word of Wisdom" prohibits "hot drinks", is that mormons who observe the dietary law will still not drink iced coffee or iced tea, and many of them won't even drink soda.

So, while technically this is the result of a rule made by BYU's food service, the reality is that it was most likely influenced by the mormon cultural habit of avoiding caffeinated soft drinks which, in turn, is rooted in the conception many had that the offending portion of "hot drinks" is the caffeine.
This is not very accurate at all. As I explained earlier, there never has been an LDS ban on soda.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
From the LDS perspective: prophets receive revolution from God. Joseph Smith was one such prophet. The Word of Wisdom is a covenant we make with God, and is not about secular scientific studies.

This is not very accurate at all. As I explained earlier, there never has been an LDS ban on soda.
So Joseph Smith's revolution against scientific fact was from God? That's a new one, haven't heard that before.

I did say that the Word of Wisdom has no basis in science so not sure why you're repeating that. It's quite clear that the Word of Wisdom is arbitrary rules that Joseph made up (I suppose in his revolution against science) and not actually rules to help a person be physically healthy. This goes along with what you said earlier and repeat here, that the WoW "is not about secular scientific studies". I think that's clear to anyone who reads it.

As for "an LDS ban on soda", I never said there was one. So what's "not very accurate at all" in what I said? I don't follow what you're trying to say with that last remark.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Mormons, not leaders, expained to me that coffee and tea were the banned drinks referred to as "hot drinks" because of the caffeine. Iced tea or coffee wasn't allowed either. Some Mormons wouldn't drink any soft drink that had caffeine and especially colas. And some Mormons avoided herbal teas. One of my visiting teachers drank Postum as a substitute for hot coffee and there used to be Postum ads in the church magazine called the Improvement Era.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
...As I said in my OP, it's just quite odd on several levels. I say this as I sip my fine Colombian coffee and I feel bad for those people who deprive themselves from enjoying such a healthful, delicious beverage!

^_^

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Everyone went home instead of socializing when I was a Mormon. No refreshments were served.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can get most of the resveratol from the fruit itself or from juices.

Red wine and your heart

The church didn't regard the Word of Wisdom as binding at the time, just a recommendation.
Jesus made wine at the wedding in Cana. Jesus served wine at the Last Supper. Now it's banned?? The lds WoW is not very consistent with Scripture.

Upvote 0