Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Paul, in writing to Timothy, wrote this: "Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery."

His words are directed, of course, to the baptism of the Holy Ghost which Timothy received through the laying on of hands, but what is meant "by prophecy"?

What did he mean by the Spirit of God entering Timothy "by prophecy"? Can someone prophecy to a person, and through that prophecy the hearer receive the baptism?

Dave

Last edited:

jamadan

Jan 1, 2009
✟8,566.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Prophecy is speaking forth God's heart in a matter. So if ghey were laying hands on him and prophesying, God was announcing a particular gift that was being poured out on him. For instance, paul may have spoken ' the Lord is giving you ghe gifts of healing'. Since paul was prophesying when he said that he expects timoth y to be able to operate in healing.

Upvote 0

Tobias

Relationship over Religion
Jan 8, 2004
California
✟21,764.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
In this day and age we seem to think that we can conjure up a word of prophecy whenever we want one, or whenever we encounter someone we think deserves to hear a "message from God." We also seem to think that everybody deserves to have all the gifts of the Spirit available at their disposal, otherwise somebody might get their feelings hurt because they don't have the same gifts and calling as someone else.

But if we put those sentiments aside, and perhaps remember that God is King and does things according to how He sees fit, then the above verse makes more sense. No one decided to give Timothy a word of prophecy, God did the deciding. Timothy didn't choose to become a person who operates in those particular giftings, God bestowed them upon him.

I think Paul was simply reminding Timothy that when he received the gifts they were accompanied with a genuine word of prophecy, which was all confirmed by the elders of the church who bore witness and gave their confirmation to the ordeal.

It sounds like a rather unique situation. Not like something a church today might decide to do for all their youth when they come of age. I doubt they had a "laying on of hands by the presbytery" for everyone when they turned 18, where they each would get a "word of prophecy" and an endowment with gifts of the Spirit. :doh:

Upvote 0

jamadan

Jan 1, 2009
✟8,566.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
In this day and age we seem to think that we can conjure up a word of prophecy whenever we want one, or whenever we encounter someone we think deserves to hear a "message from God." We also seem to think that everybody deserves to have all the gifts of the Spirit available at their disposal, otherwise somebody might get their feelings hurt because they don't have the same gifts and calling as someone else.

But if we put those sentiments aside, and perhaps remember that God is King and does things according to how He sees fit, then the above verse makes more sense. No one decided to give Timothy a word of prophecy, God did the deciding. Timothy didn't choose to become a person who operates in those particular giftings, God bestowed them upon him.

I think Paul was simply reminding Timothy that when he received the gifts they were accompanied with a genuine word of prophecy, which was all confirmed by the elders of the church who bore witness and gave their confirmation to the ordeal.

It sounds like a rather unique situation. Not like something a church today might decide to do for all their youth when they come of age. I doubt they had a "laying on of hands by the presbytery" for everyone when they turned 18, where they each would get a "word of prophecy" and an endowment with gifts of the Spirit. :doh:

I agree with most of what you said, but I wouldn't denigrate the laying on of hands to be filled with the Spirit for our youth and ask God to pour out His Spirit and gifts on them. We'd had extremely powerful things happen doing just that. I know you likely targeting the dry ritual most have made it out to be, but there's a baby in that bath water :) I have an 8 year old who received that kind of prayer and now prays in tongues, has had several prophetic dreams where he met the Lord, and has healed someone who was injured and we watched it healed right before our eyes. I know you wouldn't object to that at all :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Paul, in writing to Timothy, wrote this: "Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery."

His words are directed, of course, to the baptism of the Holy Ghost which Timothy received through the laying on of hands, but what is meant "by prophecy"?

What did he mean by the Spirit of God entering Timothy "be prophecy"? Can someone prophecy to a person, and through that prophecy the hearer receive the baptism?

Dave

Well in my case, I was called up to be prayed over by the pastor and church elders on my last Sunday before I left for basic training. One of the elders prophesied I was being called into a prophetic ministry under the spirit and power of Elijah. I had no idea what he was talking about. I was leaving for the military, not going into ministry. I had no desire to go into ministry.

Within 6 months I met a girl that was a high priestess of Ashtoreth, the goddess of Jezebel and had a 3 year long running battle with her and her coven while away in the military.

So the prophecy calling me into a specific calling was true but not something I had sought after.

Now it wasn't the laying on of hands for the baptism of the Holy Spirit. I had received that at age 14. It was being sent forth in a specific calling by prophetic word given to the church leadership before the entire congregation.

Many times I have had conformation. My 1st service at bible college much later in life is a good example. The guest speaker had a prophetic calling and was teaching on the calling of a prophet. In the middle of the message he stopped, pulled me out of the audience to declare a prophetic calling on my life. Of course I already knew that but the rest of the college didn't. It was conformation for them as to my role.

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

What did he mean by the Spirit of God entering Timothy "be prophecy"? Can someone prophecy to a person, and through that prophecy the hearer receive the baptism?

Dave

I understand prophecy, in its broader sense, to be speaking the truth of God. That, to me, would broadly fit the situation you describe.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
NAS – Do not neglect the spiritual gift (Gk. Charisma) within you, which was bestowed on you through prophetic utterance with the laying on of hands by the presbytery.

Interesting -- Greek not "hands" but this:

Thayer's Definition

1. by the help or agency of any one, by means of any one
  2. fig. applied to God symbolising his might, activity, power
    1. in creating the universe
    2. in upholding and preserving (God is present protecting and aiding one)
    3. in punishing
    4. in determining and controlling the destinies of men

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

What did he mean by the Spirit of God entering Timothy "by prophecy"? Can someone prophecy to a person, and through that prophecy the hearer receive the baptism?

Dave

Paul was an apostle, and an apostle is able to "equip" church members as leaders for church establishment through the laying on of hands.

An apostle is also able to operate in each of the ministries listed in Corinthians as part of that equipping, so I tend to think that he had called Timothy's ministry and giftings out just like a prophet could if GOD chose. Hope that helps Dave.

Upvote 0