by His stripes we are healed....

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Isa 53:5
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Is a reference to healing us of our sin...NOT physical healing...

1 Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

B

bbbbbbb

I had a friend who got heavily involved with his girlfriend (now his wife) who was an active member of a Pentecostal church which had a pastor whose song and dance was only this verse. Every hour-long sermon of his was a hammering of physical healing for the Christian. If you were not in perfect health you were either an unbeliever or deep in sin. The irony was that the church, which numbered hardly more than a dozen people, had people with some very serious physical maladies.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

1 Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
Hmm.
That is an interesting greek word which is used only in this 1 verse of the NT/NC.........Perhaps "disfigurement" would be more appropriate, such as a boxer would look like after a fight?

1Pe 2:24
............. by whose stripes G3468 ye were healed.

http://www.eliyah.com/lexicon.html

3468. molops mo'-lopes from molos ("moil"; probably akin to the base of 3433) and probably ops (the face; from 3700); a mole ("black eye") or blow-mark:--stripe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJnKm6ftPu0

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Includes physical healing

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

There is a greek words used for stripes, such as being whipped or wounded.

Out of the 21 times this word is used in the NT, it is used 15 times in Revelation [which most versions render it as "plagues".............

Greek Lexicon :: G4127 (KJV)
Strong's Number G4127 matches the Greek πληγή (plēgē),
which occurs 21 times in 20 verses in the Greek concordance

Luk 12:48
But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes/blows, G4127 shall be beaten with few stripes.
For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required:
and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

John 2:15
and having made a whip of small cords, he put all forth out of the temple, also the sheep, and the oxen;
and of the money-changers he poured out the coins, and the tables he overthrew,
[Nahum 3:2]

Reve 15:1
And I perceived another sign in the heaven, great and marvelous.
Seven Messengers having the last seven blows/stripes/plhgaV <4127>, that in them is finished the fury of the God.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnRabbit

just trying to understand
Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I concur.

Yeah verily.

Matthew 9:2-7(NKJV)
2Then behold, they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, “Son, be of good cheer; your sins are forgiven you.”
3And at once some of the scribes said within themselves, “This Man blasphemes!”
4But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, “Why do you think evil in your hearts?

5For which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Arise and walk’?

6But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—then He said to the paralytic, “Arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.”
7And he arose and departed to his house. (he was healed)

so, which is easier to say?

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Includes physical healing
I beg to differ, as the 2nd verse reference displays that Peter refers to the stripes being on the cross (not before), and says by whose stripes you were healed, PAST tense.

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

just trying to understand
Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
the whole context of 1 Peter is SALVATION...
Primary to interpretting scripture is proper context.

2 Peter 1:20(NKJV)
20knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation,

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
the whole context of 1 Peter is SALVATION...
Primary to interpretting scripture is proper context.
That is what the OC Hebrews were waiting for

Exodus 14:13
And Moses is saying unto the people "must not be ye are fearing, station yeselves! and see! the Salvation of Yahweh which He shall do for ye this day............ [2 Chron 20:17]

Luke 3:6
And shall be seeing All flesh shall be seeing the Salvation of the God.
[Zech 2:13/Reve 11:18, 19:17]

Romans 13:11
And this knowing the time,
that hour already ye out of sleep to be roused, for now nearer of us the Salvation than we believe
[Reve 7:10, 12:10, 19:1]

Reve 12:10
And I hear great voice saying in the Heaven "now became the Salvation and the power and the Kingdom of the God of us, and the authority of the Christ of Him,
that was cast the Accuser of the brothers of us, the accusing them in sight of the God of us day and night.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I beg to differ, as the 2nd verse reference displays that Peter refers to the stripes being on the cross (not before), and says by whose stripes you were healed, PAST tense.

Matthew is clear.

Notice that Jesus healed all that were sick.

Matthew ties that into what Isaiah said.

Matt 8:16-17

16 When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick:

17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.
KJV

Of course it is past tense.

Jesus did it about 2,000 years ago and it is still available to those who do what Isaiah the Prophet said.

Upvote 0

Mama Kidogo

Τίποτα νέο μυθιστόρημα τίποτα
Jan 31, 2014
USA for the time being
✟19,535.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status

Astute observation. Odd that those with 'healing ministries almost always say "are" in place of "were"
It's also good that you point out that those physical healing miracles were done prior to the Cross and have no bearing on the verse posted in the OP.

I now assume I'll be accused of not believing God still heals physically. But that would be false. Every time a physical malady leaves me I thank God for the healing and the saints (and Saints) for the prayers.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Matthew is clear.

Notice that Jesus healed all that were sick.

Matthew ties that into what Isaiah said.

Matt 8:16-17

16 When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick:

17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.
KJV
and healed all who were sick, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet...

Peter is applying this to Jesus healing people while He was on earth physically present with them doing ministry, not now by the means of the Spirit...

You can't jump to that conclusion, this was before the cross...

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
and healed all who were sick, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet...

Peter is applying this to Jesus healing people while He was on earth physically present with them doing ministry, not now by the means of the Spirit...

You can't jump to that conclusion, this was before the cross...

Is. 53:4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

The Holy Spirit translates this verse very differently to our modern translators...

In Matthews gospel the Holy Spirit (through Matthew) translates this very differently...

Matt. 8:17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.

The Holy Spirit translates these words as infirmities and sicknesses and says that Jesus took them, some translations say he bore them...

So I went back to look at this word translated griefs in Isa. 53:4 and followed it all through the bible and it is very interesting what I found...

Chali Sickness or Disease?

Deu 7:15 - And the LORD will take away from thee all sickness[2483], and will put none of the evil diseases of Egypt, which thou knowest , upon thee; but will lay them upon all [them] that hate thee.

Deu 28:59 - Then the LORD will make thy plagues wonderful , and the plagues of thy seed, [even] great plagues, and of long continuance , and sore sicknesses[2483], and of long continuance .

Deu 28:61 - Also every sickness[2483], and every plague, which [is] not written in the book of this law, them will the LORD bring upon thee, until thou be destroyed .

1Ki 17:17 - And it came to pass after these things, [that] the son of the woman, the mistress of the house, fell sick ; and his sickness[2483] was so sore, that there was no breath left in him.

2Ki 1:2 - And Ahaziah fell down through a lattice in his upper chamber that [was] in Samaria, and was sick : and he sent messengers, and said unto them, Go , enquire of Baalzebub the god of Ekron whether I shall recover of this disease[2483].

2Ki 8:8 - And the king said unto Hazael, Take a present in thine hand, and go, meet the man of God, and enquire of the LORD by him, saying , Shall I recover of this disease[2483]?

2Ki 8:9 - So Hazael went to meet him, and took a present with him, even of every good thing of Damascus, forty camels' burden, and came and stood before him, and said , Thy son Benhadad king of Syria hath sent me to thee, saying , Shall I recover of this disease[2483]?

2Ki 13:14 - Now Elisha was fallen sick of his sickness[2483] whereof he died . And Joash the king of Israel came down unto him, and wept over his face, and said , O my father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof.

2Ch 16:12 - And Asa in the thirty and ninth year of his reign was diseased in his feet, until his disease[2483] [was] exceeding [great]: yet in his disease[2483] he sought not to the LORD, but to the physicians .

2Ch 21:15 - And thou [shalt have] great sickness[2483] by disease of thy bowels, until thy bowels fall out by reason of the sickness[2483] day by day.

2Ch 21:18 - And after all this the LORD smote him in his bowels with an incurable disease[2483].

2Ch 21:19 - And it came to pass, that in process of time, after the end of two years, his bowels fell out by reason of his sickness[2483]: so he died of sore diseases. And his people made no burning for him, like the burning of his fathers.

Psa 41:3 - The LORD will strengthen him upon the bed of languishing: thou wilt make all his bed in his sickness[2483].

Ecc 5:17 - All his days also he eateth in darkness, and [he hath] much sorrow and wrath with his sickness[2483].

Ecc 6:2 - A man to whom God hath given riches, wealth, and honour, so that he wanteth nothing for his soul of all that he desireth , yet God giveth him not power to eat thereof, but a stranger eateth it: this [is] vanity, and it [is] an evil disease[2483].

Isa 1:5 - Why should ye be stricken any more? ye will revolt more and more : the whole head is sick[2483], and the whole heart faint.
Isa 38:9 - The writing of Hezekiah king of Judah, when he had been sick , and was recovered of his sickness[2483]:

Isa 53:3 - He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief[2483]: and we hid as it were [our] faces from him; he was despised , and we esteemed him not.

Isa 53:4 - Surely he hath borne our griefs[2483], and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken , smitten of God, and afflicted .

Jer 6:7 - As a fountain casteth out her waters, so she casteth out her wickedness: violence and spoil is heard in her; before me continually [is] grief[2483] and wounds.

Jer. 6:7 ESV As a well keeps its water fresh, so she keeps fresh her evil; violence and destruction are heard within her; sickness and wounds are ever before me.

Jer 10:19 - Woe is me for my hurt! my wound is grievous : but I said , Truly this [is] a grief[2483], and I must bear it.

Hsa 5:13 - When Ephraim saw his sickness[2483], and Judah [saw] his wound, then went Ephraim to the Assyrian, and sent to king Jareb : yet could he not heal you, nor cure you of your wound.

Almost without exception in other verses it is translated as either sickness or disease...

Why not in Isa 53:4?

I believe it was because of the theology of the translators, they didn't believe healing was in the atonement and so they used the word griefs instead, but thank God that the Holy Spirit revealed the truth to us in Matt. 8:17

Upvote 0