1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. We are holding our 2022 Angel Ministry Drive now. Please consider signing up, or if you have any questions about being an Angel, use our staff application form. The world needs more prayer now, and it is a great way to help other members of the forums. :) To Apply...click here

By 2021, the Episcopal Church will enter full communion with the United Methodist Church

Discussion in 'Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic' started by Raphael Jauregui, May 17, 2017.

1. Raphael Jauregui

Raphael Jauregui Episcopalian, liberal Anglican, Mdiv

+375
    United States
    Anglican
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    The ELCA is not in direct full communion with, for example C of E, but the C of E is in full communion with many mainline Lutheran churches in Europe through the Porvoo Communion.

2. Padres1969

Padres1969 Episcopalian

+180
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Others
    We'll see. My bishop doesn't seem to think that's the ultimate goal since while there are plenty of points for unity, there are some things that are non-negotiable even from the TEC that would be roadblocks to such an alliance. Particularly the Episcopal Church's Episcopate. Indeed such a thing would be hard to overcome vis-a-vis the UMC, and impossible with the PCUSA.

3. SteveCaruso

SteveCaruso Translator

+546
    Anglican
    Married
    We've been over this before. It was a daydream in the 1970s that was more fervently rejected than any other contemporary proposal. It's never been thought of in any official capacity since.

I understand that it's keeps the Continuing Anglican narrative intact in your mind, but cut out pining for the failures that never were. :)

All full communion really is is a formal acknowledgment that another church is Christian and shares theology.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  4. Naomi4Christ

Naomi4Christ not a nutter Supporter

+1,207
    Anglican
    Private
    PTL!

There are lots of united Anglican/Methodist churches in England, under the Local Ecumenical Project. They do good things - their fellowships are well fed with the Word of God and their communities are served.

5. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+32,327
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Dream on, Steve, if it stimulates you to think that Continuing Anglicans waste much time talking among themselves about what it is that ECUSA may be doing. The fact is that we almost never do that, although it was different in the early days about twenty or thirty years ago. Sure, there's a joke that'll get shared once in awhile, but that's about it. Here on this forum, of course, we all live in a special universe, but outside of such a venue as this one...no.

6. SteveCaruso

SteveCaruso Translator

+546
    Anglican
    Married
    My friend, that's seemingly a third to half of what you do on the Anglican & Old Catholic forum.

You have a reputation. :)

7. Shane R

Shane R Priest Supporter

+885
    United States
    Anglican
    Widowed
    The sentiment of this thread's title hasn't aged well. The UMC is splitting up. Much of what passes for conservative Methodism has chosen to follow the trends of American evangelicalism. The times they are a changin'.

8. tampasteve

tampasteve Lost in the swamp Staff Member Administrator CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team Supporter

+6,362
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Republican
    A lot has sure changed, and would have changed about a year earlier in the UMC had Covid not happened. It also strikes me how ignorant on the UMC's global reach I was just a couple of years back.

9. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+10,124
    Presbyterian
    Single
    The UMC is an international body. There is no US-specific Methodist body. There are several jurisdictions in the US, but no one body for the US. Any rules involving the US have to be passed by the international body.

However the Episcopal Church is a US body. So if the UMC as a whole enters into full communion with the EC, then an Australian Methodist would be in full communion with an American Episcopalian, but not with an Australian Anglican, absent a separate agreement.

The US mainline bodies are negotiating bilateral agreements. The problem is that half the mainline churches have bishops and half don't. The ELCA has bishops, but doesn't seem to mind bilateral agreements with churches that don't. However the EC and UMC have been unable to make agreements with Presbyterians and others without bishops.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. hedrick

+10,124
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Had the general conference happened when scheduled, that seemed likely. I think it's no longer clear what the UMC is going to do. It's entirely possible that it could continue to be muddled, with individual churches exiting.

11. tampasteve

tampasteve Lost in the swamp Staff Member Administrator CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team Supporter

+6,362
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Republican
    If they push it off more it is just going to be more painful and muddled. With the GMC already stating that they are moving forward regardless, we are going to see schism no matter what. Hopefully they can work it out so at least the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] UMC and GMC have amicable relations. The new Liberal Methodist Connexon (or whatever they end up being called) will likely go their own way regardless as well.

12. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+32,327
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Actually, The Episcopal Church (AKA Episcopal Church in the USA) includes a number of dioceses and provinces in other countries, including the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Ecuador, Venezuela, Republic of China (Taiwan), and some others I've forgotten. This is why it has been surmised that TEC is prepared, if it should ever be expelled from the Anglican Communion, to 'go it alone' as its own international church.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+17,290
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    TEC has a presence in Europe, too.

I don't really see how one can enter into full communion with (say) TEC, but not by virtue of that into full communion with churches with which TEC is in full communion (including Australian Anglicans).

14. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+4,221
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    I have to think full communion with Methodists is dead on arrival. I mean which of the Methodist splinter groups could that possibly be? I think it must be back to the drawing board on this one after the Methodists get it all sorted out, if they ever do. They seem best at kicking this can down the road rather than having the wherewithall to decide and get on with it.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  15. hedrick

+10,124
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Full communion means, among other things, that pastors in one church have full status in the other. There are specific organizational details to be arranged for assignment, supervision, and support. It’s not something that is transitive.

Another example. The agreement between the EC and ELCA presumably means they recognize each other’s bishops. (I haven’t read the actual agreement.) The ELCA is willing to have an agreement with the PCUSA that doesn’t involve bishops. But the EC isn’t, because bishops are more fundamental to them.

Full communion isn’t just about sharing communion. The mainline denominations all do that already.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  16. hedrick

+10,124
    Presbyterian
    Single
    It’s not dead. But it is on hold. United Methodist Church and Episcopal Church put full communion plans on hold | The United Methodist Church No matter what happens there will be a mainline Methodist church, whatever its scope and name. The delay may not even be because of the possible split. It needs action by the GC, and it’s unclear when the next one will be, and whether it will be dedicated to just organization. Doing agreements like this has been a long-standing practice. It’s unlikely to change with whatever group ends up as the mainline version of the Church.

17. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+17,290
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Sure. But if we can work that sort of stuff out with, for example, ministers in the Church of South India, I can't see why other groups would be different in principle.

What I mean is, we might recognise the ordination of someone in TEC, but if they wish to take up an Australian post all those organisational details need to be worked out anyway (as well as things like the legal background checks required in Australia etc. etc.) But jumping through the administrative/bureaucratic hoops is different than saying we don't recognise your ordination as valid in our organisation.

18. seeking.IAM

+4,221
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    And, how will we know which group ends up as the mainline version of the (UMC) church? Won't each thump their chest and say, "It's us!"

19. hedrick

+10,124
    Presbyterian
    Single
    I’m pretty sure the last thing the conservatives would call themselves is mainline. They also would have no interest in full communion agreements with the EC or other mainline bodies.

20. seeking.IAM

+4,221
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    And among the other two proposed bodies?