Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Thinking about selling my truck. Love it till I roll up to the pump.

How do you y'all prefer to buy a "new" car? Putting that in the "" on account of how it could be a used car that is just new to you. Old-school way with the dealers, or online, what have you?

What do y'all think of the electric and hybrid cars? Now I'm not at all interested in something like a Prius or on the high end of things a Tesla but there's a lot of other options out there that don't seem to be half bad.

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

How do you y'all prefer to buy a "new" car? Putting that in the "" on account of how it could be a used car that is just new to you. Old-school way with the dealers, or online, what have you?

What do y'all think of the electric and hybrid cars? Now I'm not at all interested in something like a Prius or on the high end of things a Tesla but there's a lot of other options out there that don't seem to be half bad.
I was always interested in an electric or hybrid car but isn't it difficult to maintain it?

Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Norway is quickly moving towards being the first internal combustion engine free state. Not so easy where I live, there are hardly any charging points. Unless that changes my next car will probably be another diesel, for the lower consumption and the torque.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was always interested in an electric or hybrid car but isn't it difficult to maintain it?

I don’t think so, the service intervals are much longer, and there are fewer moving parts. An insufficient network of charging points is an issue here, I don’t know what the situation is in the US.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Never buy new. They lose so much value just leaving the lot.

As far as mileage is concerned, look in to European cars since most American cars (and even European cars sold in America to a certain extent) have horrendous miles per gallon.

You should really be getting 35-50 combined mpg in a modern car. Minimum.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Norway is quickly moving towards being the first internal combustion engine free state. Not so easy where I live, there are hardly any charging points. Unless that changes my next car will probably be another diesel, for the lower consumption and the torque.

Interesting! I live in Atlanta where there's charging points all over so I'd be just fine in the city. Problem is I spend a fair amount of out in the country. Also make regular road trips down to Mississippi. That's my worry. I think I'd do alright with a hybrid or a combination. My girlfriend's mom has got a plug-in Prius. No way in heck is that car of interest to me but she's real happy with it.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting! I live in Atlanta where there's charging points all over so I'd be just fine in the city. Problem is I spend a fair amount of out in the country. Also make regular road trips down to Mississippi. That's my worry. I think I'd do alright with a hybrid or a combination. My girlfriend's mom has got a plug-in Prius. No way in heck is that car of interest to me but she's real happy with it.

I like the extra torque of a diesel but I'll have to give it up sooner or later.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like the extra torque of a diesel but I'll have to give it up sooner or later.

Actually saying that my brother in law had a suzuki samurai with a small petrol engine that was better at driving in deep mud and on snow than my bigger diesel SUV.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I used a mix of both. I emailed various dealers with the specifics of what I was looking for and to ask them to email me back with their best quote, advising them I was also emailing their competitors the same request at the same time. I got the benefit of a "hardcopy" quote, and quickly received competitive prices. I took the best quote out of the bunch & emailed my preferred dealer to see if they could beat it, and they did.

Not a fan. The environmental cost of harvesting & then disposing of the rare elements that make up the batteries are very harmful to the environment. Not to mention the fact that tech is constantly changing, and a "modern" electric car today would likely be hopelessly outdated in a few years.

Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I visited a few in person! I printed off a list of questions and asked about cars. I did research online and also went to a adaptive car event with my car loving husband too. He test drove a few. Once we had seen the range of cars and discussed things as well, a decision was made.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

On the financial side of things, if I'm not buying the car with cash outright, what I find most cost-effective is to first sell my old car for cash, pocket that, then get a car loan from the bank that I know I can pay off in 3 or 4 years. With the bank check in hand, I head to the dealership and see if I can negotiate the price of the car I want 10-20% down from sticker price. (For bonus points, choose a car that's 2 years old since the first two years are when the car loses the most of its resale value.) Since I'm not trading my old car in to them, they can't hold my keys hostage during the negotiation, and they can't fudge the numbers with my trade-in such that any "discount" I'm given is actually absorbed by the value of the car I'm giving them.

On the car selection side of things, I prefer to buy new with leather seats and all the creature comforts available. Performance should strike a perfect balance between fun and fuel economy. Looks-wise, I prefer aggressive and sporty.

Hybrid cars are definitely a plus if fuel economy is important to you, though on the environmental side I can't say they're any better than gasoline since electricity still largely runs on coal and the batteries themselves aren't manufactured cleanly either. That said, I'd drive a Tesla if I could simply because it matches my above criteria better than most other options.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,773.00
Faith
Christian

I guess a lot of that decision comes down to what type of car you need (i.e. do you still need a "truck") and where you live (urban areas much better for electric-only cars). If you just need a family car and want to save on fuel, but don't want to worry about driving range issues and finding a charge point, the Toyota Camry Hybrid might be a good bet for you.

The taxi industry where I live pretty much runs entirely on those things now.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I guess a lot of that decision comes down to what type of car you need (i.e. do you still need a "truck") and where you live (urban areas much better for electric-only cars). If you just need a family car and want to save on fuel, but don't want to worry about driving range issues and finding a charge point, the Toyota Camry Hybrid might be a good bet for you.

The taxi industry where I live pretty much runs entirely on those things now.

I do love my truck. I don't really need it on account of how every other male in my family has got one they could lend to me should I need one.

I always thought of the Camry as being a "mom car" but it's got a lot of good reviews so you may be right. I don't need a family car at this time in my life. In the future I will. It's a practical car, that's for sure. Practical is good.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
On the financial side of things, if I'm not buying the car with cash outright, what I find most cost-effective is to first sell my old car for cash, pocket that, then get a car loan from the bank that I know I can pay off in 3 or 4 years. With the bank check in hand, I head to the dealership and see if I can negotiate the price of the car I want 10-20% down from sticker price. (For bonus points, choose a car that's 2 years old since the first two years are when the car loses the most of its resale value.) Since I'm not trading my old car in to them, they can't hold my keys hostage during the negotiation, and they can't fudge the numbers with my trade-in such that any "discount" I'm given is actually absorbed by the value of the car I'm giving them.

On the car selection side of things, I prefer to buy new with leather seats and all the creature comforts available. Performance should strike a perfect balance between fun and fuel economy. Looks-wise, I prefer aggressive and sporty.

Hybrid cars are definitely a plus if fuel economy is important to you, though on the environmental side I can't say they're any better than gasoline since electricity still largely runs on coal and the batteries themselves aren't manufactured cleanly either. That said, I'd drive a Tesla if I could simply because it matches my above criteria better than most other options.

I definitely prefer more aggressive and sporty look-wise. Yes I need to strike that balance with fuel economy and aesthetics.

I appreciate the feedback.

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The price tag and allowing for personal preference, were considered when buying a car (used but new to me). It was an answer to prayer to be able to get another car for myself since I'd been without one for nine years. I'm happy with the purchase at 6 thou.

A family member also needed a car (paid for out of my pocket) It was also an answer to prayer. Very nice, well cared for by previous owners. Special features that my car doesn't have... for the low cost of only 2 thou.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
My girlfriend just texted me about the BMW dealership having a sweet deal on this car called the i3. I was game. Then I saw the thing.

1200px-2018_BMW_i3_facelift_%281%29.jpg

She thinks it's cute. Uh. I usually trust her judgement but on this not so sure about that.

If it's as cheap as she says it is well then maybe I could get over it but my word. What do y'all think of it?

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,773.00
Faith
Christian
My girlfriend just texted me about the BMW dealership having a sweet deal on this car called the i3. I was game. Then I saw the thing.

She thinks it's cute. Uh. I usually trust her judgement but on this not so sure about that.

If it's as cheap as she says it is well then maybe I could get over it but my word. What do y'all think of it?

It's hideous. I thought the Chris Bangle years at BMW weren't that great (apart from the 3 series) but I'm guessing whoever designed the i3 was given the brief to scare as many potential customers as possible.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟650,691.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
It's hideous. I thought the Chris Bangle years at BMW weren't that great (apart from the 3 series) but I'm guessing whoever designed the i3 was given the brief to scare as many potential customers as possible.

It may have looked better if it had been the same color,

as it is it looks like a smaller car inside a bigger one.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,773.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0