Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 55:1-3 ESV
Cf. John 4:10-15; Revelation 3:14-22

“Come, everyone who thirsts,
come to the waters…”

To Thirst For

To thirst is to long for, to desire, to hunger after something. It has to do with our appetites – physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. As human beings, we live in flesh bodies, and so in that flesh we thirst for all sorts of things, some of them good, and some of them bad.

When we are born into this world, we are born with sin natures, separate from God, and we fall short of attaining his divine approval and his righteousness in our own flesh. But, since we are created by God, there is a God-void within us that needs to be filled by God. And, so God makes himself known to us through his creation. There he reveals “his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature” so that we are all “without excuse” (Rom. 1:20).

And, so we have a choice. We can choose to thirst after (pursue) God, or we can choose to desire (and pursue) the flesh, instead. If we choose the flesh, then we reject God. For, although God has revealed himself to us, we then reject the truth in order to follow after the lies. We reject righteousness and holiness, and instead we go after (thirst after) what is vile, wicked, immoral, dishonest, untrustworthy and unholy, because our foolish hearts are darkened in their understanding, because we allowed sin to blind our eyes.

But, this is not talking just about those people who have never made any profession of faith in God (in Jesus Christ), is it? This is talking about those who have heard the gospel of our salvation, who have even sat under good biblical preaching and teaching, and who have even been Bible teachers and pastors themselves. This is talking about those who have professed faith in Jesus Christ, and who have professed to be following Jesus with their lives.

Many of them have shut their ears to the truth of the gospel, largely because so many of them are addicted to sin, and so they are now following after the lies which tell them that they can walk (conduct their lives) in sin (wickedness) and still have eternal life with God. And, so they will console themselves in their sin with promises God did not make to them. And, in this way, they stop listening to God and they follow their own appetites, instead.

Yet, God’s counsel to all who thirst, though, is that we should come to the waters. And, the waters symbolize Jesus Christ, our Savior, and God’s righteousness and holiness, his amazing grace, his blessings and free gift of salvation from sin, the indwelling of his Holy Spirit, and eternal life with God from this moment forward for all who are believing in him. These are the answer to the cravings (longings) of our hearts. Yet, truly Jesus Christ is the singular answer to the cravings of our hearts, and all else flows from him.

“…and he who has no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without price.”

Buy and Eat!

And, this is where it gets interesting, for we are told, basically, that we are to come and buy these blessings from God, but without money. And, this parallels over to Revelation 3:14-22, where God (Jesus Christ) counsels his lukewarm church to “buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see.”

So, how does this work? How do we buy something without money? I thought God’s gift of salvation from sin is a free gift, too. For, we can’t do anything to earn or to deserve it. No amount of good works or human effort can ever attain for us salvation from sin and eternal life with God. True!

Therefore, it really comes down to us comprehending the “free gift” and what it is. Yes, Jesus paid for this free gift to us with his blood on the cross so that we could be delivered from our slavery to sin, and from the punishment of sin, and so we could live righteously before him and have eternal life with him. The free gift, thus, is not unqualified forgiveness of everyone’s sins who makes some profession of him as Savior.

We must buy these blessings from God, but not in the sense of us doing anything in our flesh to try to earn or deserve them. What we use to buy them with is faith, but the faith to believe is even a gift from God (Eph. 2:8-10). And, if from God, then it will submit to God’s purposes, to his will, to his righteousness and holiness, and to Jesus Christ as our Lord (owner-master).

Thus, when we “buy” the water, the milk and the wine, we are actually surrendering ourselves to the Lordship of Jesus Christ over our lives. We do this by dying with Christ to sin that we might live with him to righteousness. We deny self and we take up our cross daily and we follow (obey) Christ. We walk now (in lifestyle) according to the Spirit of God and no longer according to our flesh – all by the power and working of God’s Spirit at work within us.

We leave (forsake) our former lives of living for sin and self, and now we are reborn of the Spirit of God, and we are new creations in Christ Jesus, our Lord, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. Thus, the old man (sin nature) is put to death, so that the new nature (of the Spirit of God) can flourish within us (Lu. 9:23-25; Rom. 6:1-23; Rom. 8:1-17; Gal. 5:19-21; Gal. 6:7-8; Eph. 4:17-24; Tit. 2:11-14; 1 Jn. 1:5-9; 1 Pet. 2:24).

“Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,
and your labor for that which does not satisfy?”

Why Do You?

This is not talking about physical bread or physical food, but this is talking about the Word of Life, Jesus Christ, who left his throne in heaven, came to earth, took on human form, and was crucified on a cross for you and for me so that we could be set free from our addiction to sin and walk righteously before him all our days.

And, this is talking about the Word of God, the Bible (Genesis to Revelation), which the Lord has given to us to lead us and to guide us into all truth, and in the ways of true righteousness and holiness.

And, it is not talking so much about physical money, either, though that is a part of it, but the question really is, “Why do you spend your lives, your resources, your time, your affections, your attention and your passion (desire) on what will never satisfy the deep longings of your soul?”

Why do those who profess faith in Jesus Christ spend everything they have, basically, on broken cisterns which do not hold water, i.e. on cheap substitutes for Jesus Christ and for his deliverance from addiction to sin and as a replacement for his gospel of salvation? Why do they, in other words, choose immorality, lies, self-pleasure, selfishness, pride, gossip, hatred, envy and unfaithfulness over surrender to Jesus Christ as Lord (master) of their lives?

Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good,
and delight yourselves in rich food.
Incline your ear, and come to me;
hear, that your soul may live;
and I will make with you an everlasting covenant,
my steadfast, sure love for David.”

Incline Your Ear

This appeal by our Lord is not a suggestion or even a recommendation. It is also not a gentle nudge. This is a passionate and powerful call to listen to God, to Jesus Christ. And, this is not about just listening with our ears, but it is about really hearing what he says, and then obeying what he says. For, this is diligent listening, i.e. it is conscientious, attentive and persistent, as opposed to being lazy and apathetic or turning a deaf ear to him.

We are to eat (partake in; participate in) what is good (holy, pure, honest, wholesome, moral, and upright, etc.). We are to delight ourselves in the riches of God’s truths in his Word, and in his righteous instructions to us for holy living. They are to be a joy to our hearts and applied to our daily lives.

We are to turn our ears and our hearts away from what is wicked and vile, and we are to turn our ears and our hearts toward our Lord to follow him in all of our ways. And, we are to come to him, not in some formality, or in some emotional experience, but to turn our lives over to his control. And, we are to truly hear him by applying his truths to our lives so that we might live forever with him.

For, if we do not surrender our lives to Jesus Christ, and if we do not conduct our lives (as a matter of course, i.e. lifestyle) in agreement with his Holy Spirit, then we do not have eternal life with God. We cannot claim the promises that God has given to those who walk in his holiness by faith in him. For, those promises are not ours to claim if we are still walking (living) by the flesh, and if we are making sin (adultery, lying, cheating, stealing, etc.) our practice (habit, matter of course).

So, if we want to live with Christ for eternity and be saved from our sins, then we need to surrender our lives to Jesus Christ today and always.

He Gives Purpose

An Original Work / June 9, 2012

“Listen to Me when I’m calling to you.
Obey freely My word.
Follow Me in all of My ways.
Do all that I say.
Hear Me gently whisper to you
My will for your life and future.
Give all of your life and heart to
Follow Me always.”

Repent of your sins and worship Jesus.
He’s your Lord and Master.