Aug 23, 2007
✟783,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I went to confession today; it turned out all my sins were venial, lol, and he seemed like a friendly and understanding confessor (I have gone to him for the second time) but I heard him let out a sigh at some point and I thought oh no, what did I do? It almost felt like he was sighing at something I said, but at the same time he didn't appear unfriendly while I was confessing.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,664,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I went to confession today; it turned out all my sins were venial, lol, and he seemed like a friendly and understanding confessor (I have gone to him for the second time) but I heard him let out a sigh at some point and I thought oh no, what did I do? It almost felt like he was sighing at something I said, but at the same time he didn't appear unfriendly while I was confessing.
Priests can get exhausted too. They are standing in for Christ. But they tend to get frustrated when we become overly scrupulous and do not trust in the grace and forgiveness that Jesus gives us. Jesus I trust in You.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟783,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Priests can get exhausted too. They are standing in for Christ. But they tend to get frustrated when we become overly scrupulous and do not trust in the grace and forgiveness that Jesus gives us. Jesus I trust in You.
I can imagine. I did however preface my confession with telling him that I think I might be undergoing scrupulosity issues. I'm in a stage at this moment where I'm kind of scared of Jesus because he can be scary when he's angry.

• Prayers
Reactions: Susie~Q
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟241,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Gods grace is amazing! Even if they were just venial, God gives you amazing graces to overcome those sins.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟783,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Gods grace is amazing! Even if they were just venial, God gives you amazing graces to overcome those sins.
The priest was receptive to me confessing venial sins nonetheless. I just hate the feeling when someone who I want to confess my sins to shows impatience of any sort; I hope that if he did feel that way, it's not forever. I was having a good feeling about this confessor, but I think my scrupulosity got the better of him.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I can imagine. I did however preface my confession with telling him that I think I might be undergoing scrupulosity issues. I'm in a stage at this moment where I'm kind of scared of Jesus because he can be scary when he's angry.
How long could a true friend remain angry with you?

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟439,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Maybe sighing because he was trying to figure out how to explain or express his thoughts.
Maybe had nothing to do “with” your confession but rather than that him trying to find a way to comfort you.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟241,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The priest was receptive to me confessing venial sins nonetheless. I just hate the feeling when someone who I want to confess my sins to shows impatience of any sort; I hope that if he did feel that way, it's not forever. I was having a good feeling about this confessor, but I think my scrupulosity got the better of him.
I understand! Several years ago,I was going to confession almost every 2 days over the same sin, and I think the priest was growing upset with me. He eventually helped me immensely.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟783,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I understand! Several years ago,I was going to confession almost every 2 days over the same sin, and I think the priest was growing upset with me. He eventually helped me immensely.
Did he eventually stop getting upset at you? Since you said he helped you immensely, how long did you keep going to him anyway? I know these sound like picky-une questions, but I tend to overthink things in the eyes of many people.

Reactions: Susie~Q
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟241,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Did he eventually stop getting upset at you? Since you said he helped you immensely, how long did you keep going to him anyway? I know these sound like picky-une questions, but I tend to overthink things in the eyes of many people.
I went to him as long as he was on campus (I was in college). I do not think he was upset with me. Maybe just very stern, but, yes, he did.

I wouldn't overthink it IMO

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟783,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If you have to ask yourself if you committed a mortal sin, you probably didn't commit a mortal sin.
Yeah, that might be more true than false. I have another darned thing that came into my head again today and am asking myself the same thing.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟241,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, that might be more true than false. I have another darned thing that came into my head again today and am asking myself the same thing.
You should also seek a spiritual director. They can be very helpful.

Also, have a deep devotion to the Blessed Mother. It will help with the scrupules. I also recommend asking the intercession of St. Therese.

Take care

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I doubt he was exasperated at anything you said. Sometimes they just get tired after hearing 50+ confessions in a day on top of everything else a priest has to do day-to-day. I wouldn't think anything of it.

Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟439,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The problem may be we self see flaws and think everyone has an issue with us.

Over thinking sins means you are afraid of losing the Lord.
It's good to be mindful, but also too, we then maybe stepping over His compassion and mercy for us.
It's often our self image of seeing flaws. We think the Lord is sitting there seeing them too, and counting them.

Wake up and ask the Lord to heal you of your self image so you can be free to feel His peace and understand better His mercy. We all have some negative thoughts, which create a barrier to His joy.

Imagine Pentecost.
None of the Apostles were perfect. They ran from the Lord during His Passion. They feared. They hid. They were remorseful. They probably cried bitterly what they had done. They were fretful. They were a mess.

So despite our human capacity to do things we know maybe not beneficial, the Lord can fill us and give us a zeal. HE keeps us in good spiritual health when we trust He will.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums