Site Supporter
Mar 20, 2017
No. California
✟95,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fortunately, I'm retired, but the other day I was considering how busy the world seems to be. If we are not reading a book or watching TV we are probably on our phones texting someone or looking at the antics of the rest of the world. It brought me to the realization that so many of us are too busy for GOD.

Let's face it, our lives are usually full; working, taking care of our families or ourselves. There just doesn't seem to be enough time to dwell on our beloved Lord Jesus Christ or our Heavenly Father. I'm just so busy! Then it dawned on me that this is actually prophetic for the final days of mankind. In the book of Amos the LORD GOD says this:

Behold, the days come saith the LORD GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD. Amos 8:11

Our Father was right, it looks like our generation is just too busy to spend a few hours reading His Word, or even for prayer. This is a difficult situation for too many people, seeing that our eternal souls are hanging in the balance in large part by our actions while we walk the earth.

I have an idea. What if, and many will not agree with this, but what if we took one day a week and dedicated it to the Lord? What if we agreed to spend that day doing no servile work, but just concentrated on thanking and loving the Lord for our lives. It might end the famine we are in, but it's just a suggestion. I'm surprised no one has ever thought of it!

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have an idea. What if, and many will not agree with this, but what if we took one day a week and dedicated it to the Lord? What if we agreed to spend that day doing no servile work, but just concentrated on thanking and loving the Lord for our lives. It might end the famine we are in, but it's just a suggestion. I'm surprised no one has ever thought of it!

You're describing Shabbat. That's how the Sabbath is celebrated in Jewish circles. We turn away from work and busyness and immerse ourselves in Him. When I went to the synagogue we broke bread and fellowshipped. I pursued light activities at home like reading, writing, or contemplation. The practice created an intentional slowing in my life. My body shifts automatically on Shabbat. It knows the period of rest is here and I delight in its presence.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0

Gifts From Above

Oct 23, 2020
Washington
✟8,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You're describing Shabbat. That's how the Sabbath is celebrated in Jewish circles. We turn away from work and busyness and immerse ourselves in Him. When I went to the synagogue we broke bread and fellowshipped. I pursued light activities at home like reading, writing, or contemplation. The practice created an intentional slowing in my life. My body shifts automatically on Shabbat. It knows the period of rest is here and I delight in its presence.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

The book of Hebrews describes our sabbath rest in Christ which is a daily rest. We should worship him continually.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The book of Hebrews describes our sabbath rest in Christ which is a daily rest. We should worship him continually.

The OP is related to a specific day. My response is in line with that.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Gifts From Above

Oct 23, 2020
Washington
✟8,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The OP is related to a specific day. My response is in line with that.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Actually his post concerns spending time with God in general which is something we should do every day.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Actually his post concerns spending time with God in general which is something we should do every day.

Actually, he said:

What if, and many will not agree with this, but what if we took one day a week and dedicated it to the Lord?

You are welcome to your opinion. But I'm not amending mine.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Reactions: justtrance
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fortunately, I'm retired, but the other day I was considering how busy the world seems to be. If we are not reading a book or watching TV we are probably on our phones texting someone or looking at the antics of the rest of the world. It brought me to the realization that so many of us are too busy for GOD.

Let's face it, our lives are usually full; working, taking care of our families or ourselves. There just doesn't seem to be enough time to dwell on our beloved Lord Jesus Christ or our Heavenly Father. I'm just so busy! Then it dawned on me that this is actually prophetic for the final days of mankind. In the book of Amos the LORD GOD says this:

Behold, the days come saith the LORD GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD. Amos 8:11

Our Father was right, it looks like our generation is just too busy to spend a few hours reading His Word, or even for prayer. This is a difficult situation for too many people, seeing that our eternal souls are hanging in the balance in large part by our actions while we walk the earth.

Very valuable point to remind us about! (It has been like a year or more since I saw that Amos verse quoted here on CF, though of course I only see a fraction of posts).

Upvote 0

Gifts From Above

Oct 23, 2020
Washington
✟8,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually, he said:

What if, and many will not agree with this, but what if we took one day a week and dedicated it to the Lord?

You are welcome to your opinion. But I'm not amending mine.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Oh ok I missed that. You are correct.

I also am a sabbath keeper so I agree that we should keep the sabbath.

But I also stick by my recommendation that we need to make time for God every day.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The solution is not to do something different but to have him overhaul our desires !!!

Reactions: venksta
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
But I also stick by my recommendation that we need to make time for God every day.

I don't think we need to make time for God every day. Ideally, He's immersed in our moments and the necessity of carving out time for relationship isn't required. The Holy Spirit is always talking. When you don't have distractions or others to converse with you realize His omnipresence. But when the pockets are full we strain to hear His voice. That's when 'making time' becomes a focus.

But I prefer Brother Lawrence's approach. I get my best spiritual nuggets in the kitchen and bath. We have an ongoing dialogue. He's free to interrupt throughout the day to connect, impart wisdom, etc. I don't relegate Him to a time block.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0

Gifts From Above

Oct 23, 2020
Washington
✟8,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't think we need to make time for God every day. Ideally, He's immersed in our moments and the necessity of carving out time for relationship isn't required. The Holy Spirit is always talking. When you don't have distractions or others to converse with you realize His omnipresence. But when the pockets are full we strain to hear His voice. That's when 'making time' becomes a focus.

But I prefer Brother Lawrence's approach. I get my best spiritual nuggets in the kitchen and bath. We have an ongoing dialogue. He's free to interrupt throughout the day to connect, impart wisdom, etc. I don't relegate Him to a time block.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Yeah that’s not really my approach. I make time for him every day just like you should any valuable relationship. I usually listen to sermons for 2 or 3 hours every morning to start my day.

Upvote 0