• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Bush breaks with GOP on same-sex unions

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Johnboy53, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Johnboy53

Johnboy53 Looking For Interesting News.

+1,547
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. kermit

kermit Legend

+777
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
  3. joebudda

joebudda Newbie

+296
    Atheist
    WOW
    That is a shocker.

4. Vylo

Vylo Stick with the King!

+4,693
    Atheist
    US-Others
    Last minute votes? I was under the impression Bush supported civil unions for quite some time now, just not gay marriages.

5. kermit

kermit Legend

+777
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I always thought he was deadset against civil unions too. Got any links?

6. Sycophant

Sycophant My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

+263
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    That's the same guy who said this?

Looks like a flip-flop :D

7. Sycophant

+263
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    Oh I see, I read it again, and we're playing with the meaning of words again, so he is okay for same-sex civil unions, with the rights and privileges of marriage, but you can't call it marriage because using the same term for it undermines family values.

It's a sort of fence-sitting thing isn't it? To the gay community he is supporting some rights, with the exception of the title, to the anti-gay marriage crowd, he isn't supporting gay marriage... It's different!

8. Grizzly

Grizzly Enemy of Christmas Supporter

+1,610
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    If people want to restrict "marriage" to a religious union and "union" to a civil union, I really wouldn't care. As long as everyone is equal under the eyes of the law.

But my guess is that even this "union" endorsement will turn off some of his base.

9. joebudda

joebudda Newbie

+296
    Atheist
    On the plus side is the gay community are gaining the rights they didn’t have before. Marriage is just a label anyway.

10. Sycophant

+263
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    Or, alternatively, they are being allowed rights which should never have been withheld from them in the first place.

Just another perspective :)

11. Zoot

Zoot Omnis Obstat

+524
    Buddhist
    Yes, heh heh. Like when white Americans graciously gifted black Americans with the vote.

12. HisEagle

HisEagle Senior Veteran

+139
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Sooooooo...... I guess a lot of conservatives are going to just looooove this one.

13. Sycophant

+263
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    I say, what ho, that was jolly sporting of the old chaps, what.

If you are going to give a same-sex couple the same rights as marriage without the title, I'd like to see a good reason to withhold the title only.

The idea that "marriage" be retained for religious unions is fine and dandy, but does that mean that atheists can't be married?

And after a civil union, is Suzy's new spouse her 'wife' or is that a term only to be used in conjustion with a marriage? Maybe it's her 'civially recognised partner'?

14. Philosoft

Philosoft Orthogonal, Tangential, Tenuously Related

+170
    Atheist
    Perhaps Dick Cheney has an even greater influence over Bush than even we cynics believed.

15. HisEagle

HisEagle Senior Veteran

+139
    Non-Denom
    Single
    <No! Must...not....agree...with...the....atheist.....> :eek:

ARGH!!!! :doh:

I have to admit, you make a good point.

16. MaryS

MaryS Well-Known Member

+131
    Christian
    US-Republican
    I read the article. The title is somewhat deceptive because Bush is clearly talking about the rights of states to allow same-sex unions. At the state level, some Republicans DO favor same-sex unions.

Even at the federal level, not all Republicans voted for the Marriage Amendment and not all Democrats voted against it. (check the House of Representatives votes:
    voting record which identifies Republicans versus Democrats by text-type:
    http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2004/roll484.xml

17. Whyzdom

Whyzdom Biblicist

+138
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Doesn't matter to some of these people Mary.. they want to spin it. I wonder if most people even read the links people put on here or if they just say to heck with it.. I am for such and such... so I will spin it to make my candidate look less like the bad guy that he is.

18. the_malevolent_milk_man

the_malevolent_milk_man Well-Known Member

+132
    Atheist
    Single
    HAHA! It's not a good sign when the highest profile republican plainly says that the party platform is wrong.

19. UberLutheran

UberLutheran Well-Known Member

+1,589
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    NOT!
    ;)

Bush OK with same-sex unions. Wonder how THAT is going to play with conservatives, particularly social conservatives? :D

20. drboyd

drboyd Well-Known Member

+183
    Christian
    US-Others
    Well, Rove's polling probably showed that a majority of Americans think that same-sex "civil unions" are OK, so instead of trying to change the platform, he just had Bush make this pronouncement.

It's Rove's mistake for not catching the polling data early enough.