• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Burning wood to combat climate change.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by OldWiseGuy, Oct 24, 2021.

1. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+10,604
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Burning wood is a process that is natural to the earth. Wood fuel is easily harvested and utilized locally, replaces fossil fuels, is renewable, yields mineral rich ash, and is carbon neutral. It can also be processed into relatively clean burning fuel, i.e. wood-fuel pellets, or into wood gas.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Nithavela

Nithavela Cool catchphrase goes here

+15,756
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    Now we only need a new continent to grow all that wood, and no wildfires for a couple of decades.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,117
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    Is it carbon neutral by tonnage, or by BTUH? Where is the threshold for Carbon-Neutral?

4. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+6,493
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    I our country we have banned wood burners in the inner city. There is a particulate emission threshold that must be met even in rural areas.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  5. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+8,192
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    Wildfires (or at least controlled burns) are necessary from time to time.

6. friend of

friend of Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,999
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Nothing we do will ever be enough for climate alarmists

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  7. Nithavela

+15,756
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
  8. Mark Quayle

+3,117
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    They are going to happen if the forests are not managed wisely. If cut and cleared firebreaks are not used, nor controlled burns, nor other common sense things to mitigate wildfire, the big fires will continue.

"But that's not natural!" Neither is putting out fires.

9. Nithavela

+15,756
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    Do you think Siberia was burning in record areas last year because the quality in management declined?

10. HARK!

HARK! שמע Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+4,334
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    Bamboo grows faster.

I'm practicing regenerative agriculture, which puts more carbon in the soil. When the early settlers visited the SW US deserts, they reported grass that came up to the saddles on their horses. There is a growing movement worldwide, to rebuild the soil. This means putting carbon back into the soil.

11. Mark Quayle

+3,117
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    Have no idea. Do you think the lack of management had nothing to do with the extent of the California fires and Northeast?

12. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+7,411
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I won't try and dissuade you, but the "Black Carbon" particulates help heat the air and then again land, sea, or ice they land on as they settle. Some scientists now believe reducing or eliminating wood and other biomass burning to be one of the easiest and most effective ways for us to counter climate change as it is the #2 cause of warming.

13. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,595
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Maybe. Burning wood releases CO2 stored in the timber. Australia's massive bush fires contributed more CO2 than industry for that year.

14. Nithavela

+15,756
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    Nothing? Nah. Forests need to be well kept, especially in the current and coming climate.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  15. OldWiseGuy

+10,604
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    The carbon enters the 'carbon cycle' and is therefore neutral; carbon is neither lost or gained.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. OldWiseGuy

+10,604
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I don't think eliminating wildfires, or the burning of biomass by third world countries, would be easy.

17. OldWiseGuy

+10,604
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Pelletizing wood, or burning at high temperature as in a "masonry stove" drastically reduces smoke and particulates.

Why Wood Pellets Burn so Clean? Green Fuel (barkunlimited.com)

Heavenly Heat Masonry Heater burn process - YouTube

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. DamianWarS

DamianWarS Follower of Isa Al Masih Supporter

+2,774
    Christian
    Private
    it can only be carbon neutral if you replace the CO2 absorbing tree you just burned with another tree.

19. OldWiseGuy

+10,604
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Or sequester the same amount of carbon in another plant or animal species. The point is to recycle living carbon sources, not bring up fossil carbon from beneath the earth.

I do support several tree planting organizations. Such efforts are only limited by their budgets (hint hint). ;)

20. anna ~ grace

anna ~ grace Newbie Supporter

+11,691
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Burning wood smells great, trees are re-plantable, we’ve been burning wood for thousands of years, and it’s fun to throw stuff in a small fire.

I have been seriously thinking about maybe getting ourselves a small wood burning stove, for heat, and cooking. If the power goes out, we won’t freeze, and can still cook.

What about burning garbage? In private homes? That would reduce ocean and landfill waste, and keep folks warm for free.