Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Is it immoral to burn the American flag?

I know a lot of people have a problem with it, and it sometimes incites violence. But I am curious what you thought. But is it really disrespectful to our President when God says we are to respect our leaders, even if we disagree?

Would a Spirit-Filled Christian participate in the burning of the flag?

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

I know a lot of people have a problem with it, and it sometimes incites violence. But I am curious what you thought. But is it really disrespectful to our President when God says we are to respect our leaders, even if we disagree?

I assume you mean burning the flag as in protesting.

I think that respecting your leaders is not the same as supporting their every decision, no matter what you think. Quite the opposite, when you respect someone, you should show that respect by voicing dissent whenever you feel it, so that your voice is heard, your leaders know your opinion and can govern correctly with that knowledge. When only those who agree with the leaders voice their opinion, it's like an echo chamber.

I don't think burning a flag is a good way to express an opinion, though. Too much emotional baggage, too little nuances. And besides, in public gatherings it can be highly dangerous.

On the other hand, you'll be supporting flag manufacturers, so that's a plus.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Isn't there a rule that states you have to burn it if it touches the ground?

Is there? I don't know. I guess I don't know enough about burning the American flag to answer that question.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I assume you mean burning the flag as in protesting.

I think that respecting your leaders is not the same as supporting their every decision, no matter what you think. Quite the opposite, when you respect someone, you should show that respect by voicing dissent whenever you feel it, so that your voice is heard, your leaders know your opinion and can govern correctly with that knowledge. When only those who agree with the leaders voice their opinion, it's like an echo chamber.

I don't think burning a flag is a good way to express an opinion, though. Too much emotional baggage, too little nuances. And besides, in public gatherings it can be highly dangerous.

On the other hand, you'll be supporting flag manufacturers, so that's a plus.

Yes, that is what I mean.

Thank you for your reply.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yes, that is what I mean.

Thank you for your reply.
I think a big problem of President Trump is that he spends too much time in the echo chamber. His rallies are basically giant gatherings of people who cheer on his every comment, he doesn't allow any critical questions, surrounds himself with yes-men and villifies those who show dissent.

Sadly I don't know how you can give your opinion to someone who adamantly refuses to hear it.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think a big problem of President Trump is that he spends too much time in the echo chamber. His rallies are basically giant gatherings of people who cheer on his every comment, he doesn't allow any critical questions, surrounds himself with yes-men and villifies those who show dissent.

Sadly I don't know how you can give your opinion to someone who adamantly refuses to hear it.

Good point

I know what you mean.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Which is it? Does he surround himself with yes-men or dissidents?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

No, it is NOT immoral to burn the American flag. In fact, it MUST be done if the flag is beyond repair or cleaning.

The flag does NOT represent the president (though there is a true presidential standard), but our entire country, so it is not disrespectful to him to burn it.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No, it is NOT immoral to burn the American flag. In fact, it MUST be done if the flag is beyond repair or cleaning.

The flag does NOT represent the president (though there is a true presidential standard), but our entire country, so it is not disrespectful to him to burn it.

OK. Thank you for responding.

I just wonder why our President gets so upset when people burn the flag? Does he just gets upset when they do it in protest?

Because he sees it as disrespect.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
OK. Thank you for responding.

I just wonder why our President gets so upset when people burn the flag? Does he just gets upset when they do it in protest?

Because he sees it as disrespect.
I think he's mostly acting upset for show and to stir up nationalistic support from his followers.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Isn't there a rule that states you have to burn it if it touches the ground?
Actually, I am pretty sure that rule is false. Although you still should do your best to keep it off the ground. I believe what the poster is talking about is burning the flag as a form of protest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I know you have to burn the flag when it is too worn for display. I saw this post as more addressing burning it as a form of protest than anything.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Which is it? Does he surround himself with yes-men or dissidents?

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I know you have to burn the flag when it is too worn for display. I saw this post as more addressing burning it as a form of protest than anything.

Yeah, that is what I meant. I apologize. I should have made myself clear. I did not realize that they burn the flag for any other reason, except to protest.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah, that is what I meant. I apologize. I should have made myself clear. I did not realize that they burn the flag for any other reason, except to protest.
While I find burning the flag to be disrespectful and wrong I feel it should be legal in protest. As to the ethics of it I tend to see it as an amoral issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0