✟8,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello Everyone,
Until very recently I was only reading my Bible during the Sunday Bible class at my church. I was then invited to attend the new International Church that gathers in an old church near the lakefront. Members of this church strongly believe that we should be reading the Bible every day and it seems to be a requirement for membership.

I don't have anything against that and would really like to study my bible more frequently. However, I was hoping to do it in such a way as to be able to submit questions and/or comments regarding the passages that I find significant. I tried to do this with one of the members at this church via email, but I wasn't satisfied with the explanations that he replied back with. I found them to be either cryptic, evasive, or just not well considered. Consequently, I was hoping that someone here might direct me to someplace online where I could submit my questions/comments in a regular fashion to people who are well studied and willing to provide the kind of answers that I'm seeking.

For example, here is one of the questions that I posed in my email to the International Church member regarding John 5:24:
"It appears that Jesus is saying that one merely has to believe in the Father to be rewarded with eternal life. But, not only does this interpretation differ from interpretations from other passages i.e.… John 3:5, it makes for a very confusing reality. So how do these two passages comport with one another?"

I do understand that there could be several different answers to this question depending upon the beliefs of the person or persons answering. But since I'm not at all well studied, I really don't know. I'm just hoping to find honest thoughtful answers.

Did I come to the right place? If not, redirect me if you can …please. God bless.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello Everyone,
Until very recently I was only reading my Bible during the Sunday Bible class at my church. I was then invited to attend the new International Church that gathers in an old church near the lakefront. Members of this church strongly believe that we should be reading the Bible every day and it seems to be a requirement for membership.

I don't have anything against that and would really like to study my bible more frequently. However, I was hoping to do it in such a way as to be able to submit questions and/or comments regarding the passages that I find significant. I tried to do this with one of the members at this church via email, but I wasn't satisfied with the explanations that he replied back with. I found them to be either cryptic, evasive, or just not well considered. Consequently, I was hoping that someone here might direct me to someplace online where I could submit my questions/comments in a regular fashion to people who are well studied and willing to provide the kind of answers that I'm seeking.

For example, here is one of the questions that I posed in my email to the International Church member regarding John 5:24:
"It appears that Jesus is saying that one merely has to believe in the Father to be rewarded with eternal life. But, not only does this interpretation differ from interpretations from other passages i.e.… John 3:5, it makes for a very confusing reality. So how do these two passages comport with one another?"

I do understand that there could be several different answers to this question depending upon the beliefs of the person or persons answering. But since I'm not at all well studied, I really don't know. I'm just hoping to find honest thoughtful answers.

Did I come to the right place? If not, redirect me if you can …please. God bless.

Welcome to the forum. And yes, you can get answers to your questions here. There are different forums here, some for asking questions, some for bible study, some for other topics. Your specific question regarding John can be posted in the bible study forum:

Exposition & Bible Study

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
If you are persuaded that the Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that He died for our sins by the will of the Father, you are not 'merely believing', you are committing yourself, in trust to God's Promise. As the Greek in translated here:
2 Thes 2:4. But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts.
The connection between the two scriptures you chose and many others is the Holy Spirit. As here:
Ephesians 1:13. In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise.
The discourse of Jesus in John 5 began at verse 19, and continues to the end of the chapter, so I will say that you will continue to find confusion if you take a single verse and try to understand out of context. John 5 is critical to understanding the Gospel, and it is teaching straight from the Savior's mouth. There are mature Christians on this site who can answer questions, but the Holy Spirit is able to lead you into all Truth as you commit to a more detailed study of the Gospel of John. You are starting in a good book of the New Testament, but commit to reading from the beginning, because that is where it begins. In the beginning. Commit yourself to trusting the Holy Spirit.

• Friendly
Reactions: Deade
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello and welcome to CF.

You can ask your questions in many different forums here, and will get different sorts of discussion in different ones.

And unfortunately you will get different answers too, because many denominations have come about as beliefs have evolved.

I had the same question at one time. What was helpful for me was to read through many other passages about salvation and take them as a totality.

It might also help to know that when Martin Luther was working on his reforms, he apparently wished to make a point and added “alone” to Romans in “we are saved by faith alone”. It has since been removed from virtually all translations since it was never in the Greek. But Luther was very motivated to separate faith from what he perceived as works (a whole other discussion). All of this greatly influenced western Protestant theology and the lens through which many people read Scripture. That is really where the idea of “only belief” came from. As you say, there are many other passages that seem to disagree.

“Faith” of “Faith alone” was never meant to mean simply “mental belief” btw. Some things are very much lost in translation.

But as I said you will get many opinions, and most people are very sincere and support the beliefs as they best understand them. Knowing where the beliefs come from has been helpful to me in sorting things out.

God be with you.

Hello Everyone,

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello Everyone,

Hi; good to see you.

The Lord Jesus said: "I and my Father are one" (John 10.30).

Good to keep reading John's Gospel and indeed the New Testament prayerfully.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟163,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I came to faith primary through reading (multiple times) the Gospel of John 36 years ago, and realizing who Jesus is. All your answers are there with the Lord Jesus. God bless

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The arching point was this: If you hear His words and believe them, you will do what He says, and what He told Nicodemus to tell the Pharisees to do was be baptized in water and the Holy Spirit. They needed to start a completely new life as though dead and reborn, because they could not simply go on being Pharisees the way they had and inherit eternal life. The time of repentance to one's old life had come, as preached also by John the Baptist.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Everyone,

CF is a useful source to ask questions and debate. But just in these few posts you got some good advice and some advice which had nothing to do with what you asked.

If you cannot trust some people at your church for clear answers contact the pastor. If the wishy washy answers continue then perhaps find a church which is clear on their doctrine with actual seminary graduates as leaders.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As with any passage or verse in the Bible one must take it within context. For example you quoted from the same Gospel of John but two different chapters.

Read chapter 5 and let me know what you think.

John 5 BSB

And chapter 3:

John 3 BSB

And in Chapter 4 Jesus reveals who He is:

John 4 BSB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jok

Jul 9, 2019
Indiana
✟42,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Hello Everyone,

This is the perfect place! I keep meaning to tap into some of the great knowledge in here myself but I keep getting distracted.

Upvote 0

Deade

Called of God
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, OK
Visit site
✟274,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello Prove All Things,
welcome to CF.

I hope you'll enjoy your stay here. Go to my profile and pick up my webpage address to get to know me. My first published Christian book is now free there. There are other articles and study aids there also. PM me if you have questions.

323654_10e2a1f7a84c759008fd505dcca0b105.gif

f9a2ae5a8f29c2c1d3728c3a689d8318.gif

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
A lot of people get into trouble because they want the Bible to be a theology textbook, understanding words like faith in the context of 16th Century arguments about the role of faith and works..

In my opinion, the only way to reconcile Paul's emphasis on faith (and also rebirth -- see Romans 6) with Jesus' emphasis on accountability for how we live is to understand faith as a pretty broad term, as referring to something we might call an "orientation," a basic focus or direction of our lives. There's actually some reason for that. "pistis" isn't just belief. It has a range of meanings, and can also be translated "faithfulness." It's like an older English meaning of faith, as in "bear true faith and allegiance" (a phrase from the oath of office in the Constitution).

It's that kind of faith, as a basic commitment and direction, that is meant in John (and also Paul). For John and Paul also, we live that kind of faith because of the presence of the Holy Spirit. That's why John 3:5 says that we must be born from above, from the Spirit. It's all different aspects of being in Christ (Paul's term).

Upvote 0

kvolm

Feb 28, 2018
SoCal
✟17,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Everyone,

In addition to asking questions via email or on forums are you also reading in commentaries to find answers to your questions?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Prove All Things

Apr 4, 2020
Milwaukee
✟8,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to the forum. And yes, you can get answers to your questions here. There are different forums here, some for asking questions, some for bible study, some for other topics. Your specific question regarding John can be posted in the bible study forum:

Exposition & Bible Study
Thanks for the info, HTacianas. It's likely that I will post in the Exposition and Bible Study Forum soon. However, my job duties have kept me busy this past week. Consequently, I haven't had the time.

Now that I'm back here again, I see that my post received a good number of replies. That makes me happy. However, I wasn't able to find my posting again right away and that has me concerned. I had posted in the Welcome area under Introductions, but when I went back there, I couldn't find it. I then noticed the alerts at the top and clicked on one of them. Thankfully, that brought me back here.

So now I have a couple more questions. Was it indeed removed from the Introductions area? If so, will I be dependent upon Alerts to find my previous quotes?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Prove All Things

Apr 4, 2020
Milwaukee
✟8,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you are persuaded that the Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that He died for our sins by the will of the Father, you are not 'merely believing', you are committing yourself, in trust to God's Promise. As the Greek in translated here:
2 Thes 2:4. But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts.
The connection between the two scriptures you chose and many others is the Holy Spirit. As here:
Ephesians 1:13. In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise.
The discourse of Jesus in John 5 began at verse 19, and continues to the end of the chapter, so I will say that you will continue to find confusion if you take a single verse and try to understand out of context. John 5 is critical to understanding the Gospel, and it is teaching straight from the Savior's mouth. There are mature Christians on this site who can answer questions, but the Holy Spirit is able to lead you into all Truth as you commit to a more detailed study of the Gospel of John. You are starting in a good book of the New Testament, but commit to reading from the beginning, because that is where it begins. In the beginning. Commit yourself to trusting the Holy Spirit.

Thank you, Minister Monardo, for replying and providing a prescription for my future study.

You say it is necessary to read from 19 until the end for understanding. Tonight, I decided to read chapter five again so that I might understand your point. In addition, I read the surrounding verses over and over.

Unfortunately, I’m still not persuaded by your premise. It appears to me that it should not be necessary to find hidden meaning in the Lord’s words when in fact they were already meant to provide clarity. However, I will say this; I’m not exactly sure what “believes him who sent me” refers to. I imagine that Jesus was referring to a statement by God in the old testament promising a messiah- but I don’t know.

Also, the three verses following verse 24 seem to emphasize the importance of having a true belief. So, then the question is, what does true belief look like? Of course, as you say, it involves a commitment. It’s apparent to me that this commitment must relate to the “words” of the Son. I’m pretty sure this means we are to abide by all his teachings.

Other than the above references, I am not able to derive any further explanation emanating out from the other surrounding verses. Perhaps you would be kind enough to explain your position further by pointing out how those other verses relate to 5:24.

One more thing, the crux of my burning question has to do with what appears to be two opposing statements by the Lord. Is it your contention that the verses I compare are somehow reconcilable?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
"It appears that Jesus is saying that one merely has to believe in the Father "to be rewarded with eternal life." But, not only does this interpretation differ from interpretations from other passages i.e.… John 3:5, it makes for a very confusing reality. So how do these two passages comport with one another?"

I wrote this in trying to reconcile John 3:5 and 5:24.
Ephesians 1:13. In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise.

Looking back at what you wrote, the answer that you are seeking is what is "to be rewarded with eternal life."

As you continue through the Gospel of John, you will eventually get to a final prayer that Jesus prays for His disciples, and includes all who will believe the message, including us.
John 17:3. And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.
This personal knowledge of the Father and the Son can only be attained by abiding in the Holy Spirit. This you will learn about in chapters 14 through 16. If you look at a red letter Bible you will find that chapters 13-17 of the Gospel of John is almost entirely red! Therefore, you still have much to learn directly from Jesus as you read through this Gospel with the Holy Spirit! I must emphasize the need to cultivate a relationship with the Lord by using your devotional Bible reading time to actively, prayerfully discuss these verses with the Holy Spirit. Only He can bring you to the clarity of mind to grasp these teachings. You can continue to pose questions, but you can also ask Him directly. If you are a True Believer, you will demonstrate that Trust in God the Father and the teachings of His Son by following His directions.

Matthew 7:7. Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You’re still in the Intro area, but if a post asks questions, etc. it will often be moved elsewhere.

You can go to your profile page and click on your posts to find your threads.

Click on the icon of a person in the top bar and that will take you to your info. From that page near the top click on “profile”. There will be tabs when it loads, one of them is “postings” which will bring up all your posts. If you want your own threads, just scroll to the bottom of that page and click “threads by your name”

Hope this helps. It’s easier than it sounds. :)

Thanks for the info, HTacianas. It's likely that I will post in the Exposition and Bible Study Forum soon. However, my job duties have kept me busy this past week. Consequently, I haven't had the time.

Now that I'm back here again, I see that my post received a good number of replies. That makes me happy. However, I wasn't able to find my posting again right away and that has me concerned. I had posted in the Welcome area under Introductions, but when I went back there, I couldn't find it. I then noticed the alerts at the top and clicked on one of them. Thankfully, that brought me back here.

So now I have a couple more questions. Was it indeed removed from the Introductions area? If so, will I be dependent upon Alerts to find my previous quotes?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

faith campbell

Brave Heart
Apr 12, 2020
Melbourne
✟8,916.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Prayer is needed. I'm afraid I committed the blasphemy of the holy spirit and doubted the existence of God and thr reliability of the bible.

Hi, I'm suffering from blasphemous thoughts as well. I was watching this Christian film called "Chosen" and at the end of the EPISODE 1, I doubted that the power Jesus used to cast the demon out of the lady was really from the holy spirit and then awareness came and I started to feel guilty. I never doubted His power nor His deity. I didn't know what's happening with me. I feel like I'm under a demonic attack and it's killing my spiritual life. I sang praise songs, I red the Bible and the page went to John 14. I red the whole passage but I don't feel a thing. Doubts of the existence of God happened and now I'm getting worried I committed an unpardonable sin. I am so guilty and I feel like Im going to hell no matter what I'll do since I already did something unforgivable while watching the film. It gave me confusion and out of the blue my heart felt doubtful.

Here's a background of why I had this feeling of worry and doubt.

It started when my anxiety came back after a year of deliverance from mental health illness. I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder in 2015 and it later became depression in my college years.

It was just last year when God delivered me and healed me in all aspects. I was really on fire and even enrolled in a bible college so I can get to know him more and train my faith to become stronger but my mental health illness came back and I experienced some dirty and compulsive thoughts. I'm afraid I have OCD because I kept trying to remove it by doing things beyond my limit. This anxiety remained rested until March 5, when there was a suspicious density found in my lungs xray. I was so worried that I had to leave the bible college for a week to get rest and examination. I wanted to prove that I am in urgency to get a second opinion so I left the school on Thursday when our dismissal was supposed to be on Friday. The dean of our dorm compared me to the other girls and indirectly told me that I am bothering her.

When I had my second test, I didn't feel any relief when I saw it cleared. There was this lingering feeling that I need to prove that there is something wrong in me so I get to stay in the bible college with excused reasons.

Then the lockdown in Metro Manila happened. I live in the province and so I packed up all my things and returned to our hometown. After I returned, I had this cough and muscle ache. I also had the sore throat. I was afraid I contracted the covid and spent my week worrying. I was given an antibiotic because the doctor told me it was just an infection in the throat.

While having this, I found out my
ex-boyfriend for 4 years has found someone already. It was so devastating because I am still inlove with him and he promises he'd wait for me til I graduate from the bible college.

We still talk even after finding out he has found someone and he confessed that he was trying to forget me. After a week, he left his gf and chose me but I didn't want that to happen. I was trying to process everything emotionally and mentally and I fixed my mind that I will heal from him but due to shock, I decided to accept him again but now I don't feel anything at all. I don't love him anymore and I decided to stop our relationship yesterday as I was not having a good sleep and a sound mind. I don't have the joy and peace because comparison to his ex gf made me insecure and it led to obsessive stalking.

This has been a problem.

I am so overwhelmed by all the events that is happening.

I need help, advices, from Christian perspectives

• Friendly
Upvote 0