Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know of alot of people who do but personally, we don't. I know some things seem cheaper but really, I think we're better off just supporting our local businesses instead.
Sometimes it depends on just how much goes on tax.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We sometimes buy vitamins and remedies when we are over the state line, shopping.

You can make a lot of savings if you plan well for an out of state, out of province trip, to where the taxes are less.

(Any one else do this?)
My uncle built a brand new house in Washington state, where there are very high sales taxes. He had a fairly large trailer that he towed into Oregon, where there are no sales taxes at all, and purchased all of his furniture and appliances for the house.

Yeah, he saved a bundle.

• Winner
Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My uncle built a brand new house in Washington state, where there are very high sales taxes. He had a fairly large trailer that he towed into Oregon, where there are no sales taxes at all, and purchased all of his furniture and appliances for the house.

Yeah, he saved a bundle.
Well, exactly. I've been in Europe where an international boundary goes through a store; at certain time they just close off half the space, apparently.

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟451,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes it depends on just how much goes on tax.
Ah, but what about the extra funds for travelling to get to the States? Extra gas, food and possibly having to spend a night should something else come up.. etc. Yeah, I'll stick with going local and risk paying the tax. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ah, but what about the extra funds for travelling to get to the States? Extra gas, food and possibly having to spend a night should something else come up.. etc. Yeah, I'll stick with going local and risk paying the tax. ;)
Depends how far you are from the border, really. :)

All part of the planning and calculation.

• Agree
Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One way to avoid all those taxes is to just go online, and avoid places like Amazon.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One way to avoid all those taxes is to just go online, and avoid places like Amazon.
This is true.

Sometimes a trip which combines 2 or 3 reasons - visiting friends, church, etc. - can be a good occasion for some out of state bulk shopping.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I shop online over very long distances looking closely at shape and postage costs - I usually do that a lot + compare prices locally in brick-and-mortar stores or buy second hand or items that are gifted away, on for example Facebook.
Over here some even shop their groceries online locally, I would never do that but I use sometimes the automated checkout. Shopping Your groceries online locally is not marketted as the cheapest option, but merely as time-saving. I prefer to actually spend a lot of time going to grocery stores rather far away that I know are cheap - fully accepting the risk I may not get everything I need from them, while I read the Bible in the commuter traffic, or I bicycle a part of the distance. Sometimes I shop groceries together with dad by car, then we just go to where it is the both the fastest and fairly cheap to shop fairly near the highway. He never comes with me to the very cheapest shop.
On some things I don't consider price a lot: Olive oil, ecological eggs (although now I'm becoming vegetarian again), ginger tea (as there doesn't seem to be many different brands to choose from), ecological oranges, ecological carrots (unless they are really expensive, to keep the cost down I instead often eat a very cheap betacaroten supplement), salad that is marked down to half price because it's not that fresh anymore (well maybe that's regarded as considering price?). But most vegetables and berries, especially potato, red currant and gooseberry I get from what my dad has cultivated - so my average food costs are very low. If I buy I try to go to a store an hour away that sells things for one or a few dimes that are past the day they may be sold (that store has a special license to sell such, and You are required a free of cost membership).
I subscribe since a while by mail to Omega3 with vitamin D supplement. It's not that cheap, but in this case it's definitely convenient. I live so far up north that I have to eat this almost every day, all around the Year, particularly since I usually don't eat fish ever day (I would like to, but feel better physically when eating a vegetarian diet).

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
We sometimes buy vitamins and remedies when we are over the state line, shopping.

You can make a lot of savings if you plan well for an out of state, out of province trip, to where the taxes are less.

(Any one else do this?)
I live close to California, but I'm not aware their taxes are less than ours.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Going to NY from Ontario is worthwhile.

As is going to Montana from Alberta.

At least, with certain commodities.
I read that prescription drugs are cheaper up in your part of the world.

Upvote 0