Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Alright for you fellas that work with a wife that stays at home and for you wives that stay at home while your husbands work...

How much money are you allotted to spend each month?

I'll start. We have an allowance of $100 each.

Just trying to see if my wife's accusation of me being cheap is true.... Ha

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Alright for you fellas that work with a wife that stays at home and for you wives that stay at home while your husbands work...

What types of things are included in that allowance? Lunch? Clothes? Groceries? Gas?

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,236.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I stay home and my husband works. We don't have an allotment. We live within our means, we pay bills, buy groceries and necessities, put money into savings, and when there's money leftover it either stays in the bank or we use it if we want it. We don't ask each other permission but we do keep each other informed, and we'll discuss it before spending money on anything significant or fanciful (generally but not specifically when something reaches the $50-100 mark.) We don't nickel and dime each other, we don't get petty or say, "Well you spent this so I can spend that." We don't make each other withhold so we can be exorbitant on ourselves. We sacrifice for each other and, as a result, we both get a lot of what we want.

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well, separate from any vacations and family fun, my wife and I allot each other $10 a week to spend as we see fit, no hassle from the other. Of course, our yearly income is probably overshadowed by yours.

Under $30k a year we still manage to have a house (still making payments), pets, 2 kids, 2 vehicles, almost no debt aside from the house, etc, etc. She doesn't find me cheap and is rather thankful we can have all these things on a meager income.

Really, it should be about thankfulness that one is allowed to have so much. People in Africa don't get that. To people in Africa, I am filthy rich to their standards. So, if I am ever upset with my standings, I think of others less fortunate than I. At $100 a month, geez, all I would need is some patience and restraint and I can purchase a lot by years end.

Can I have your allowance =p? Just kidding.

Upvote 0

ExodusMe

Rough around the edges
Jan 30, 2017
Washington State
✟34,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, separate from any vacations and family fun, my wife and I allot each other $10 a week to spend as we see fit, no hassle from the other. Of course, our yearly income is probably overshadowed by yours.

Under $30k a year we still manage to have a house (still making payments), pets, 2 kids, 2 vehicles, almost no debt aside from the house, etc, etc. She doesn't find me cheap and is rather thankful we can have all these things on a meager income.

Really, it should be about thankfulness that one is allowed to have so much. People in Africa don't get that. To people in Africa, I am filthy rich to their standards. So, if I am ever upset with my standings, I think of others less fortunate than I. At $100 a month, geez, all I would need is some patience and restraint and I can purchase a lot by years end.

Can I have your allowance =p? Just kidding.
yeah I agree... wasn't trying to brag. Just need perspective

Reactions: Acts2:38
Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yeah I agree... wasn't trying to brag. Just need perspective

Oh certainly, I know you were not bragging. Like you said, just feedback. I pray you well in this situation. Financial situations are one of the top five marriage stranglers. At least, from what I read over a decade ago =x

Upvote 0

RageOfAngels

Sep 1, 2017
Sussex
✟43,564.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
We are each given a tiny tiny (tiny) amount each month to spend. That way we make do with what we've got. That won't work for everyone (about $10!) but it works well for us. It doesn't include clothes, food or stuff like that, just things like books, cd's, dvd's etc.

Upvote 0

OK Jeff

Jan 19, 2017
NA
✟63,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I stay home and my husband works. We don't have an allotment. We live within our means, we pay bills, buy groceries and necessities, put money into savings, and when there's money leftover it either stays in the bank or we use it if we want it. We don't ask each other permission but we do keep each other informed, and we'll discuss it before spending money on anything significant or fanciful (generally but not specifically when something reaches the $50-100 mark.) We don't nickel and dime each other, we don't get petty or say, "Well you spent this so I can spend that." We don't make each other withhold so we can be exorbitant on ourselves. We sacrifice for each other and, as a result, we both get a lot of what we want.
This is exactly what I was going to say. My wife and I have the same arrangement.

Reactions: snoochface
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WolfGate

Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We each have $100 in our "cash" category. That is what it is. Cash that we can carry during the month to pay for incidentals and stuff that comes up. We also each have a "clothing" budget but it is a subset of the household clothing budget. I seldom spend mine, so it is no problem for my wife or kids to use it for theirs. The overall category matters.

Beyond that we each can spend from all the household budget categories for items until they is used up.

We have Quicken tied to our accounts so we can tell on a daily basis how we are doing to budget. We will talk to each other about larger items that need to be bought. The budget is a tool to provide freedom for each of us in what we spend - not an inflexible barrier used to keep score or control the others spending.

Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟129,457.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Cheap is relative to income and circumstances. The important part is not the amount, it's the agreement.
When considering your budget, it helps to have a spouse who shares common goals.

Sit down for an hour and talk about your goals and what budget helps you meet them.

Upvote 0