Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In high school I fell in love with Buddhism. For about 4-5 years I considered myself Buddhist. DT Suzuki, John Blofeld, Christmas Humphreys, Walpola Rahula, these were my “Fathers” whom I followed.

Personally I think Doaism has more in common with Orthodoxy than Buddhism, but honestly Theosis and Nirvana are such polar opposites that I see little common ground there. The karma, dharma, and even meditation aspects are light years apart.

Hieromonk Damascene, a Well-respected monk, author, and student of Father Seraphim Rose, wrote a book on Christ as being the Mystical Dao. Very cool book. You might like it.

Oh, I read that book. Awesome!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey, I made one joke about Father Matt talking like Gollum and the good padre couldn’t admit defeat!! Don’t look at me!! ^_^^_^^_^

But you’re right....next time I’ll mention Star Trek! :sorry:

Yeah - it would sure be nice if y'all could keep the thread derailings to the Underailable Thread. Just sayin' . . . . .

Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
An important thing that I should mention as well - Christianity seems to embrace suffering, placing moral actions / the Love of God and love of others moreso than detachment, for if one is purely detached, one cannot love others and suffer because of it - which is why the Cross is there.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hey, I made one joke about Father Matt talking like Gollum and the good padre couldn’t admit defeat!! Don’t look at me!! ^_^^_^^_^

But you’re right....next time I’ll mention Star Trek! :sorry:

hey, I admitted my booboo earlier. I even admitted that I admitted my booboo.

An important thing that I should mention as well - Christianity seems to embrace suffering, placing moral actions / the Love of God and love of others moreso than detachment, for if one is purely detached, one cannot love others and suffer because of it - which is why the Cross is there.

yes, it depends on what you are detached from. if you are detached from sin and the fallenness of the world, you cannot but love God and man.

Upvote 0