Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Football is for Uruk-Hai rabble!! A brute sport for gigantic drooling Uruk covered in filth eating one another and starting fights on a whim. Football is a violent sport worthy of orc gangs, Gothmog or Grishnak!!

Meanwhile baseball is the sport of Rivendell, Tom Bombadill, and Galdalf the White, classy, precise, strategic, timeless!

Gothmog was not an Orc, he was the first Balrog. c'mon now, sport of rabble my patootie. if baseball was the sport of a place like Rivendell, you wouldn't have gotten that wrong.

tsk, tsk

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gothmog led the orc army into Minas Tirith in Return of the King. There are two Gothmogs in the Tolkien legendarium. The other is in Simiralion, a balrog indeed.

Gothmog (Third Age) - Wikipedia

He was a lieutenant in Sauron’s forces. Little description is given. In the films he was quite distinctive!

upload_2018-9-30_15-51-7.jpeg

Gothmog was not an Orc, he was the first Balrog. c'mon now, sport of rabble my patootie. if baseball was the sport of a place like Rivendell, you wouldn't have gotten that wrong.

tsk, tsk

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Gothmog led the orc army into Minas Tirith in Return of the King. There are two Gothmogs in the Tolkien legendarium. The other is in Simiralion, a balrog indeed.

Gothmog (Third Age) - Wikipedia

He was a lieutenant in Sauron’s forces. Little description is given. In the films he was quite distinctive!

View attachment 242257

yeah, but you referenced him as an Orc. the novel doesn't say that he was an Orc. so good call for remembering when I forgot, but boo for trying to legitimize Jackson's nonsense.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But it doesn’t say he’s NOT an Orc either? Since he’s the lieutenant of an army of Orcs, it’s entirely possible!! So Jackson’s assigning him to be an Orc is ok in my book. But, hey, nice try bringing Gurney down to his knees!! He’s 6’5” and 250 lbs. easier said than done, Father Nitpicker!! ^_^

yeah, but you referenced him as an Orc. the novel doesn't say that he was an Orc. so good call for remembering when I forgot, but boo for trying to legitimize Jackson's nonsense.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But it doesn’t say he’s NOT an Orc either? Since he’s the lieutenant of an army of Orcs, it’s entirely possible!! So Jackson’s assigning him to be an Orc is ok in my book. But, hey, nice try bringing Gurney down to his knees!! He’s 6’5” and 250 lbs. easier said than done, Father Nitpicker!! ^_^

negative! the leader of the armies of Morder was the Witch-king, who was no Orc.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And no evidence refutes it! Gorbag was an Orc captain overseeing other orcs, and yet in other situations guys like Shagrat was an Uruk captain over Uruks. Ugluk was an Uruk captain commanding Uruks. Grishnak was the orc captain over the orc troops coming from Mordor. Gorgol was an orc leader over other orcs in the Third Age who killed Barahir.

So even though there was a Nazgul in charge of an Orc army, the odds (based on all the other examples) would lean toward him being an Orc also. Orcs were expendable, but most of the time their bosses were Orcs, too!

no evidence supports such a thought. Orcs were foot soldiers and expendable

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And no evidence refutes it! Gorbag was an Orc captain overseeing other orcs, and yet in other situations guys like Shagrat was an Uruk captain over Uruks. Ugluk was an Uruk captain commanding Uruks. Grishnak was the orc captain over the orc troops coming from Mordor. Gorgol was an orc leader over other orcs in the Third Age who killed Barahir.

So even though there was a Nazgul in charge of an Orc army, the odds (based on all the other examples) would lean toward him being an Orc also. Orcs were expendable, but most of the time their bosses were Orcs, too!

meh, I ain't buying it. 'tis not something I'd speculate on. the only reason one might think that is because of Peter Jackson's choice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nope. I thought that when I read it! It makes sense. He could be all sorts of things, but an Orc or Uruk makes the most sense.

meh, I ain't buying it. 'tis not something I'd speculate on. the only reason one might think that is because of Peter Jackson's choice.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Nope. I thought that when I read it! It makes sense. He could be all sorts of things, but an Orc or Uruk makes the most sense.

meh, I am pretty sure it have been more clear cut. he isn't mentioned that much in LOTR.

Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
meh, I am pretty sure it have been more clear cut. he isn't mentioned that much in LOTR.
I'm inclined to agree with you here. I can recall no textual evidence that the Witch-King's lieutenant was an Orc.

Sauron had plenty of humans in his employ.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He has scads of orcs, goblins, Easterlings, Uruks, and other goons. But orcs are mentioned more than anyone, and we have zero evidence of either. It's pure speculation, so Father Matt's criticism of what I said isn't valid. Speculation isn't enough.

I'm inclined to agree with you here. I can recall no textual evidence that the Witch-King's lieutenant was an Orc.

Sauron had plenty of humans in his employ.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
He has scads of orcs, goblins, Easterlings, Uruks, and other goons. But orcs are mentioned more than anyone, and we have zero evidence of either. It's pure speculation, so Father Matt's criticism of what I said isn't valid. Speculation isn't enough.

well, if speculation isn't enough, you shouldn't have used his name to show how Orcish football is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A thousand pardons that I didn't choose a good enough Orc example. But I still won't back down! At this point in my life, nitpickers are my passion! But you did a decent job diverting from your original mistake and focusing on my speculation! Nicely done! LOL....you sound like a Democratic Senator on the Kavanaugh hearing! :p:p:p

well, if speculation isn't enough, you shouldn't have used his name to show how Orcish football is.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A thousand pardons that I didn't choose a good enough Orc example. But I still won't back down! At this point in my life, nitpickers are my passion! But you did a decent job diverting from your original mistake and focusing on my speculation! Nicely done! LOL....you sound like a Democratic Senator on the Kavanaugh hearing! :p:p:p

you were the one who said speculation wasn't enough, and you were the first speculator.

and I admitted my booboo, you silly silly.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Personally I think Doaism has more in common with Orthodoxy than Buddhism

That's a good observation, and as somebody who has studied all three, I would tend to agree.

The karma, dharma, and even meditation aspects are light years apart.

I think there is a great deal of similarity between Reformed or Lutheran Protestantism and Japanese Pure Land Buddhism, but otherwise most forms of Buddhism are very different from Christianity. As Alfred North Whitehead said, "Buddhism is a philosophy in search of religion, Christianity is religion in search of philosophy". As a generalizaton, Buddhism tends to be cerebral, whereas Christianity appeals to "the heart".

I would disagree, because the concept of what a “soul” (atman) in Hinduism is, and what you see as “God” (Brahman) is greatly different than Orthodoxy.

Although of course I am generalizing, because Hinduism is not really a specific organized sect, but generally speaking, the idea of Moksha is simply the mystical recognition that you - your soul / self being distinguished from other souls is illusionary, and that you are the same as every human, animal, and god - your soul, atman, is the underlying, persistent reality, Brahman.

That's only one school of Hinduism. Most Hindus in India are actually monotheists and dualistic. The Vedantists fit what you describe above, but they are sort-of the Hindu answer to Buddhists, and not the most common.

You are underlying reality itself - you are “God.”

Sort of, but it doesn't necessarily have the same symbolic meaning it does in our culture that it does in theirs. We associate that sort of thing with megalomania, for instance, and our religion makes a sharp distinction between God and the world in a way that Vedanta does not.

Upvote 0