Buddhist Buddha vs Jesus

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Indeed, you are correct. It is a Sanskrit term from a Mahayana text. Perhaps this is not as early as you prefer. I guess I don't know how early early Buddhism is.
I prefer the Pali Nikayas, the earliest Buddhist scriptures, generally dated approximately five centuries before the first Mahayana writings.

Right, that is the idea. Do the Pali texts see nirvana as ontologically distinct from samsara? Is nirvana thought to have inherent being?
Parinibbana is distinct from samsara, but only in reference to the absence or presence of dukkha and sukkha. I haven't read of any reference to ontological "being-ness" in parinibbana, in the early Pali texts. Using my earlier example, that's like asking if a digital pet (a "being", in a sense) exists or doesn't exist within the quantum substrate - from which that pet arises - when that substrate is at rest. It is an irrelevant question, and does not apply.

• Informative
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would spend time reading Buddhist texts and commentary, then decide about the similarities

Very few people on this form know much about Buddhism at all. I spend more time with the Buddhist than I do the Christians and I see no conflict and no problem. Only Love and Peace which I Endeavor to Foster Wherever I Go

Something both Jesus and Buddha both enouraged.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I would spend time reading Buddhist texts and commentary, then decide about the similarities

Very few people on this form know much about Buddhism at all. I spend more time with the Buddhist than I do the Christians and I see no conflict and no problem. Only Love and Peace which I Endeavor to Foster Wherever I Go

Something both Jesus and Buddha both enouraged.
Does the wrathful, warring Jesus in Christian escatology reflect a "do as I say, not as I do" teaching?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What are the differences and similarities? Could they be same person reincarnation?

What type of Methodist are you? Don't all Methodists accept the divinity of Christ?

Jesus is God. Buddha was never God.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Ultimately, we each must all find our own Christ, Our own Buddha.....not someone else`s......

What in the world are you trying to say?????

Matthew 24
23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. 24For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. 25Behold, I have told you before.

Upvote 0

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is Buddah a god? I wasn't aware of that.

That depends on what sect of Buddhism you talk to. Guatama, who is better known as Buddha was not known to teach anything having to do with God or any gods per se, however, there are other sects who have made him into a deity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That depends on what sect of Buddhism you talk to. Guatama, who is better known as Buddha was not known to teach anything having to do with God or any gods per se, however, there are other sects who have made him into a deity.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Then there is early Buddhism which teaches that there are god-like beings, but the Buddha surpassed all gods.

Upvote 0

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then there is early Buddhism which teaches that there are god-like beings, but the Buddha surpassed all gods.

If that is so, then why is it said that the Buddha made no comment about any deities in his teachings?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps that claim may have originated with a different sect than the one you adhere to.
Perhaps, but I am not aware of any branch of Buddhism that teaches that.

IMO it seems to be more of a post-modern "new age" teaching that might fuse some Buddhist teachings with other ideas.

Upvote 0

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps, but I am not aware of any branch of Buddhism that teaches that.

IMO it seems to be more of a post-modern "new age" teaching that might fuse some Buddhist teachings with other ideas.

Perhaps.

Upvote 0