Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What are the differences and similarities? Could they be same person reincarnation?
No, Reincarnation is not from the God of Holy Scriptures...

Hebrews 9:27 (KJV) And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟289,913.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Given how different their teachings are, it's hard to imagine they are the same person. Buddha was dealing with a world of Dharmic concepts, reincarnation, nirvana, enlightenment. Jesus was dealing with a world which the God of the universe created in which he was a unique agent to bring about the advent of a New covenant and way of living with God through himself.

Jesus and the Buddha had contradictory messages of what it meant to achieve salvation or enlightenment, if we want to use those two terms equally.

Obviously I think Jesus was greater.

Upvote 0

Deborah D

Prayer Warrior
Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
USA
✟224,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What are the differences and similarities? Could they be same person reincarnation?

Before I became a Christian in college, I looked into many different religions. One group I learned about teaches that there have been many different manifestations of God over the centuries and that Jesus was just one of those manifestations.

But Jesus said that many false prophets would arise and deceive many people (Matthew 24:11).

Talking about Jesus Christ, Acts 4:12 says, "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”

*The Buddha was only a man. Jesus Christ was and is almighty God.

*The Buddha cannot save anyone from the punishment for sin. Jesus Christ suffered for us on the cross so that all who believe in Him will not be eternally punished for our sin.

*The Buddha died and stayed in his grave. Jesus Christ died and rose from the grave!

*The Buddha taught many things that do not line up with the truths of the Bible. Every word Jesus Christ spoke was the truth. In fact, Jesus said HE IS THE WAY, TRUTH AND THE LIFE! (John 14:6)

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There is no definite article in the Greek of Hebrews 9:27

When the 'the' is put in, one might think of it as 'the great white throne judgement'

But that is not what it says

A man dies once, and there is 'krisis' after that

Reincarnationists believe that as well, upon death one has judgement which determines their future state - whether a new incarnation or some other realm and another incarnation later on.

So Hebrews 9:27 is
Not
A clobber verse against reincarnation, I have heard people use that verse as a quick dismissal of reincarnation, but it is simply not justified in the Koine Greek

I don't know much about Buddha, I don't think Jesus was the same person, but the bible does not deny reincarnation, in fact, think of the disciples asking "who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"

Jesus's answer was that it was neither one, but the concept of it possibly being the man himself that sinned, causing him to be born blind, was not negated.

The disciples obviously viewed it as a viable option.

The bible neither confirms nor denies reincarnation, and there is the puzzling passage where Jesus says John the Baptist was Elijah -- yet Elijah as Elijah is recognizable at the transformation, when Moses who did die and Elijah who never died were there.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
There is no definite article in the Greek of Hebrews 9:27

When the 'the' is put in, one might think of it as 'the great white throne judgement'

But that is not what it says

A man dies once, and there is 'krisis' after that

Reincarnationists believe that as well, upon death one has judgement which determines their future state - whether a new incarnation or some other realm and another incarnation later on.

So Hebrews 9:27 is
Not
A clobber verse against reincarnation, I have heard people use that verse as a quick dismissal of reincarnation, but it is simply not justified in the Koine Greek

I don't know much about Buddha, I don't think Jesus was the same person, but the bible does not deny reincarnation, in fact, think of the disciples asking "who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"

Jesus's answer was that it was neither one, but the concept of it possibly being the man himself that sinned, causing him to be born blind, was not negated.

The disciples obviously viewed it as a viable option.

The bible neither confirms nor denies reincarnation, and there is the puzzling passage where Jesus says John the Baptist was Elijah -- yet Elijah as Elijah is recognizable at the transformation, when Moses who did die and Elijah who never died were there.
You are correct. The Bible never conclusively denies the possibility of reincarnation, despite what many on this website will claim. The Elijah passage that you mentioned certainly leaves open the possibility. Yes, I know that most of you hear will claim that the Elijah prophecy was fulfilled by John the Baptist, simply because he came with the power and spirit of Elijah. However.... the Malachi prophecy did not say that God would send someone with the power and the spirit of Elijah. No, my friends, Malachi said that God would send Elijah! Not only that, but I did some research recently, and I was surprised to find that a minority of Jews have professed a belief in reincarnation in the past. Hence, we should not so quickly dismiss the doctrine of reincarnation. While I do not profess a belief in the doctrine, neither do I dismiss the possibility that perhaps some souls do reincarnate.

• Agree
Reactions: Anto9us
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, basil, I can neither confirm or deny reincarnation, therefore it is not out of the realm of possibility that Mathinspiration is a reincarnation of myself, or vice versa.

Herod had such a bizarre view of reincarnation that he thought Jesus was John the Baptist, when in reality they were only six months apart in age...

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Early church fathers said the 'two witnesses' in revelation were Elijah and enoch - rather than the rapture fad books saying they were Elijah and Moses. The account says the 2 witnesses were killed by the beast, if so, Moses did not die once, but twice, or rather will die twice, thereby negating Hebrews 9:27

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
No, their teachings are radically different. I consider them polar opposites in most respects.

The Buddha saw that the end-goal was the cessation of suffering aka the permanence of happiness & bliss, not eternal life; he emphasized the importance of intention over the letter of the law; he taught things to be known and practiced by his disciple in the here & now, rather than things to be believed on blind faith; he emphasized that no intermediaries were needed, no hierarchies; he gave principles which are universally applicable and accessible rather than being tied to a specific land, time, or people group; his teachings do not depend on belief in the historicity of a "real" Buddha; his teachings are systematic & methodical; less is emphasized over more; independent thought over conformity; he emphasized observation of fixed universal laws rather than corruptable, written commandments; and he taught "do as I do", not "do as I say, but not necessarily do as I do".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟901,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus Christ of Nazareth is God and Buddha did not believe in God. They are polar opposites.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They both were interested in ending suffering an had similar methods, getting the ego under control, compassion, kindness, virtues, etc.

But their interpretation of the result or goal was very different. Buddha saw it as extinguishment (though we probably view that as negative). And Jesus saw it as unity withe the Father.

• Agree
Reactions: Cis.jd
Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
They're similar in the sense that the goal for both of them was to put an end to suffering, but the perspective of time is different. Buddha talks about here and now, while Jesus (also) talked about the future/eternity. It's also easy to make the case for Jesus focusing more on intentions than on keeping rules per se. They also both talked about freedom from sin - Jesus by preaching grace, forgiveness and repentance, Buddha by saying basically that there's no such thing as sin to begin with. There's also the idea of acceptance, being completely free from any demands. Granted, in Christianity it's pretty rare to preach, much less practice, the idea of being completely accepted as you are, right now, but it happens from time to time like when drug addicts realize God loves them and boom their addiction disappears and their life changes in an instant. I think that's because so much of our pain and self-destructive behaviour comes from a sense of not being good enough, of wanting to escape the world (or ourselves).

Upvote 0