Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There are a lot of topics which are taboo in the Baptist church. Some less today. But despite the claims, traditions exist in church that need to be killed.

Drinking, dancing, wearing shorts, poker, and gambling. Oujia boards, D&D, playing FPS Video games with excessive language and watching Monty Python's Life of Bryan.

Some things are more taboo than others. Some things I would probably never do because I've been catechized in old baptist traditions. Some I wouldn't do because I'm uninterested. Some on the list are more condemned than others. But honestly none are outright sins to do.

Imo, the worst offenses happen every Sunday when Scripture is taken out of context to suit a way to have a better marriage and speaking on a subject like this as if God has proclaimed this truth of marriage to be gospel. That's worst than playing with a Ouija board. That's taken the Lords name in vain.

Where Scripture does not specifically deal with an issue, I believe the church must be careful how it draws lines. That's my thoughts. Agree? Disagree?

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There are a lot of topics which are taboo in the Baptist church. Some less today. But despite the claims, traditions exist in church that need to be killed.

Drinking, dancing, wearing shorts, poker, and gambling. Oujia boards, D&D, playing FPS Video games with excessive language and watching Monty Python's Life of Bryan.

Some things are more taboo than others. Some things I would probably never do because I've been catechized in old baptist traditions. Some I wouldn't do because I'm uninterested. Some on the list are more condemned than others. But honestly none are outright sins to do.

Imo, the worst offenses happen every Sunday when Scripture is taken out of context to suit a way to have a better marriage and speaking on a subject like this as if God has proclaimed this truth of marriage to be gospel. That's worst than playing with a Ouija board. That's taken the Lords name in vain.

Where Scripture does not specifically deal with an issue, I believe the church must be careful how it draws lines. That's my thoughts. Agree? Disagree?
So you hold to the Regulative Principle? I agree that there are many traditions taught in the Baptist church that ought never to be but at the same time we must not avoid what is taught in the Scriptures by implication either. I despise the Presbyterian idea of "necessary consequence" but that doesn't mean that there are no such things as truth derived from the Scriptures as a whole.

While I do hold to a qualified regulative principle, that is we ought not add things to the worship of God that are not expressly taught in the Scriptures, we must understand that many things taught in the Scriptures are not so clearly set forth and must be understood by the teaching and application of the whole of the Scriptures. That is where we rely exclusively on the Spirit to guide and teach us.

Any person who can read at the third grade level can grasp the meanings of the words and put the sentences together and come up with a theology and doctrine but it takes the Spirit to open up the Scriptures and teach us the actual truths taught there. That was the problem that the Pharisees had. They knew the words of the Scriptures better than anyone but had no idea of what they actually taught. I take the stand that we are to interpret the Scriptures in the same way that Jesus and the Apostles did, spiritually as given in example after example in the New Testament.

I am often accused of "spiritualizing" the Scriptures but I believe that I do so no more than did the Lord or the Apostles.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I can't understand how a Christian cannot do anything but spiritualize the scriptures. From the first sentence to the last is all about Christ.

In Christ
Daniel
:oldthumbsup: :oldthumbsup:

Sadly Dispensational theology is rooted in a woodenly literal interpretation of the Scriptures. That is one of the reasons I don't care for John MacArthur. Far too many are taught Dispensationalism today and miss the wonder of finding Christ in all of the Scriptures.

Upvote 0