• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Bruising Effect Within the Church

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by rockytopva, Feb 11, 2019.

1. rockytopva

rockytopva Love to pray! :) Supporter

+5,893
    Pentecostal
    Single
    The king of Assyria sent a messenger, along with a large army unto Hezekiah who said, “Now, behold, thou trustest upon the staff of this bruised reed, even upon Egypt, on which if a man lean, it will go into his hand, and pierce it: so is Pharaoh king of Egypt unto all that trust on him.” - 2 kings 18:21

Putting too much trust in a church can produce the same effect. Leaning too hard on her can produce a bruising effect. I can’t tell you the churches in our area who have fallen out with pastor changes. I have read of people who have fallen out of the Catholic Church and wonder if they will only run into more hurtful circumstances within a church of another name.

It is best to keep Christ Jesus first place in ones life and attend the church of your choice because you feel that is the place you can serve best. Keeping in mind that perfection lies not within man but in God, who sent his son to help in our infirmities.

I thought my denomination, Pentecostal Holiness, had perfect doctrine. But besides all that perfect doctrine we too fell prey to the effects of the times and the seasons. We got a pastor with a Masters degree from Liberty University with no people skills. If something does not change people are going to simply quit going.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. rockytopva

rockytopva Love to pray! :) Supporter

+5,893
    Pentecostal
    Single
    To further complicate matters our pastor had a heart attack a few months ago. Now you can sense within the guy an inner rage. If these matters are not dealt with everything is going to self destruct. But.... How to deal with them?

3. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+684
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Best stay on the road to the Kingdom and treat the churches as a vehicle to be traded in as needed.

4. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal Supporter

+1,726
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    I think of it more as the "Rock Tumbler" effect. :groupray:

5. Oscarr

Oscarr Senior Veteran Supporter

+5,408
    New Zealand
    Pentecostal
    Married
    I recently left a church that I was involved with for the last 22 years. I was an elder for 18 years of it. Then late last year, they got a Mission Enabler who took over the church, and bullied me when I disagreed with some aspects of what he was doing. Then he took over the preaching for two Sundays a week, and then I decided that I could not sit under the preaching of a man who bullied me. So I resigned my eldership and membership and left. Now I am enjoying my "congregation" of my wife, and two cats!. It's good to have a rest from church stuff and concentrate on my personal fellowship with God for a while until something else in terms of a church comes along.

6. bekkilyn

bekkilyn Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,409
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    US-Others
    Even though pastors are supposed to follow the doctrines of their denominations, it doesn't always happen that way in reality for various reasons. I've heard people talk about pastors they've had within the UMC that seemed to hold views that were in complete opposition to parts of our doctrine, and I'm not talking about controversies over homosexuality or any of that sort of thing. It's hard to understand how they made it through the candidacy process and all of the committees.

With that said, church members can also have unrealistic expectations of pastors. He may need an extra dose or two of grace. I heard or read something recently from somewhere that it is difficult for someone who hasn't received grace to give grace.

I agree that Christ Jesus still needs to have first place in all things. Perhaps the Spirit will lead you to stay and work through the issues in this church, or perhaps he may guide you elsewhere, but he's where you trust needs to be. God bless!

7. Pethesedzao

Pethesedzao Well-Known Member

+300
    United Kingdom
    Charismatic
    Single
    Praying you will find a fellowship very soon