SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I just bought the 30th annv. edition of Bruce Lee's "Enter the Dragon".

The movie is good, but I really enjoyed the extras in this dvd set.
It shows interviews of the many different people in Bruce's life.( Kareem Abdul Jabar, James Coburn, Chuck Norris and others).

Here are some facts from the video.

- He could do 2 finger(thumb and index finger) push ups.

- Extended "V sits"(put your palms on the ground, and lift your entire body off of the ground, now bring your legs straight up so that your body looks like a V. Now hold it for a period of time)

- The autopsy said that Bruce Lee died of an acute alergic reaction to Hashish(sp?).

- He trained many in Hollywood(the three mentioned above) as well as Steve McQueen.

- He was considered the greatest Material Artist in the world during the 20th centruy.

- In the movie about Bruce Lee, it showed that he was kicked in the back by his opponant, which broke his back. But this isn't true.
He was working out when he did some kind of nerve damage which left him bed ridden for 6 months. The doctors feared he wouldn't kick again, and possibly not walk again. They were wrong.

They named off Chuck Norris and two other material artist masters. Between these three, they won every major material artist competition in the world.
Even with all of that, they still went to Bruce Lee to be taught.
He was credited with changing the material arts as we know.
He was trained in Gung Fu in china, but he developed new styles because he felt that the old styles were bound by tradition.
He studied all styles and took what ever was good from each style, while throwing out anything that was not usefull.
He is known for developing "Jeet kun do"(sp?) which means something like "The intercepting fist".
Basicly it was a counter attack style.
But finally he developed a "no style" way of fighting. Meaning that you have to learn and adapt to the situation.

This guy was incredible to say the least. Many people hated him, especially those of the old traditions in asia.
People would walk up to him, cross thier arms, and tap thier feet. Which meant it was a challenge for a fight. Bruce would then wipe the floor with them, and go back to doing what it was he was doing, like nothing ever happened.

Bruce Lee grew up in a wealthy family, and he seemed spoiled. When he learned how to fight, he became a bully looking for fights. So his father sent him to the states.
I get the impression that Bruce never really learned humility, and that he was a bully/tyrant as an adult. He had a fun side they said, but he was never afraid to speak his mind, and he often had a hard time working with directors and others.
The day he died, he was with another women having an affair.
It seems that the good thing about his untimely death, was that we didn't see him go down the ugly road of sin, that we see so many other stars go through. Like Elvis, and others.

I don't see how someone so small could be so great. But whatever you think of him, there is one fact, he was one stick of dynomite not to be messed with.

Jonteel

Dec 21, 2004
Visit site
✟11,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dan Inasanto took over for Bruce.
Bruce's great contribution was that he saw figthing was conducted at four ranges. Each martial art contributes a little to each range. One must study all martial art, and take what is useful from each, then one can fight at all four ranges.
We in JKD fight with no pads. We go full contact. A cup and a mouthpeice are all we usually use.
I was doing reflex drills and my left eye stopped working. It's that brutal. It's that intense.
Bruce was a nice guy. He may appear arrogant, but any elite athlete will be confident and proud.
Let me explain a little more. In JKD, we go full contact in daily training. If a challenger wants to fight, then, for us, it's no big deal. Just another chance to mix it up.
In other words, don't come to one of us and challenge us or ask to fight. We don't play polite games. We take you at your challenge.
In the martial arts world, there is a code of politeness. Smiles and politeness are exchanged. No one says what he thinks. You keep your opinion to yourself. Bruce didn't. If he thought you were lame, he said so. I respect that. It's better than gossiping behind someone's back.
It didn't make him any friends.
Some of you may find this a bit brutish. Not at all in keeping with the meek and mild Savior. Let me say this. "Do it all as unto the Lord." I put out 100% and I am a friend and therefore a witness to some of the finest fighters in the world. To get them to listen, you have to earn their respect. To earn their respect, you have to reach down deep and give all you can.

Is anyone here affliated with SfODelta?
:cool:

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Do u guys go all out on these scrimages? Like do u try to knock the other guy out, and basicly do things that will get people hurt? Or do u pull your punchs, so that basicly you are hitting them with alot less force?

Seems like u would bust up your hands, or do u wear gloves?

Upvote 0

Jonteel

Dec 21, 2004
Visit site
✟11,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
None of us is a sociopath. Bad people are soon spotted and ejected.

We also know how to control our strikes. Most people get black belts in other arts before they come to JKD. Incidentally, Bruce didn't believe in belts.

My students do me more harm than you would imagine. A 9 year old girl almost broke my arm in November. She's one talented midget.

Chuck did a movie with Bruce. Bruce also trained Chuck.

Chuck was the real deal? Yeah, he is the real deal, still.

Could he take Bruce? Well, in an interview with his very good friend, Howard Stern, he (Chuck) hinted that he could.

Howard hosted Chuck's bachelor party.

Incidentally, Howard said that Bruce was inferior to Chuck, because Bruce never fought in a full contact competition with the Koreans.

Do I think that Chuck could take Bruce? There's only one way to find out, and I would love to be there when they meet again.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
LifeToTheFullest! said:
SUNSTONE said:
I don't see how someone so small could be so great. QUOTE]lol...yeah, small people shouldn't be great..

BTW IMO if Chuck and Bruce were to have ever fought in a real match, Chuck would have pw3ned Bruce. Norris was the real deal.

It is one thing to be small and great, it's another thing to be that small and considered the greatest fighter of the 20th century.

Chuck is great, but was Chuck credited with changing the martial arts?
Did Bruce come to Chuck, or did Chuck come to Bruce to be taught?

Bruce was the real deal. Do people come up to Chuck challenging him for a street fight, like they did Bruce? I have never heard anything like that.
Bruce was faster and stronger than Chuck.
There is no doubt that Bruce would kill Chuck in a real fight.

Upvote 0

LifeToTheFullest!

May 12, 2004
✟6,295.00
Faith
Agnostic
SUNSTONE said:
LifeToTheFullest! said:
It is one thing to be small and great, it's another thing to be that small and considered the greatest fighter of the 20th century.

Chuck is great, but was Chuck credited with changing the martial arts?
Did Bruce come to Chuck, or did Chuck come to Bruce to be taught?

Bruce was the real deal. Do people come up to Chuck challenging him for a street fight, like they did Bruce? I have never heard anything like that.
Bruce was faster and stronger than Chuck.
There is no doubt that Bruce would kill Chuck in a real fight.

Unlike Bruce, Chuck competed continuously in full contact bouts for about a decade. It was actually for this reason that Bruce asked Chuck to be in his movie. As far as being stronger, I'm not so sure about that, as Chuck was quite a bit bigger than Bruce (about 6'). In a head to head full contact fight with both men in their prime, my moneys on Chuck.

There is no doubt that Bruce brought MA to the mainstream audience and popularized it in the U.S. Bruce took the best of all moves, the ones that actually worked in real life situations and focused on those move, and JKD was born. The natural progression of MMA is representative of this, what works stays, and what doesn't is abandoned.

I'm not taking anything away from Bruce Lee at all, but put these guys in the ring and Chuck wins 9 out of ten times.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
LifeToTheFullest! said:
SUNSTONE said:
Unlike Bruce, Chuck competed continuously in full contact bouts for about a decade. It was actually for this reason that Bruce asked Chuck to be in his movie. As far as being stronger, I'm not so sure about that, as Chuck was quite a bit bigger than Bruce (about 6'). In a head to head full contact fight with both men in their prime, my moneys on Chuck.

There is no doubt that Bruce brought MA to the mainstream audience and popularized it in the U.S. Bruce took the best of all moves, the ones that actually worked in real life situations and focused on those move, and JKD was born. The natural progression of MMA is representative of this, what works stays, and what doesn't is abandoned.

I'm not taking anything away from Bruce Lee at all, but put these guys in the ring and Chuck wins 9 out of ten times.

Chuck was bigger, but he was no where near the strength of Lee. Lee worked out way too much the doctors said, they told him, not to push himself so hard.
He didn't listen and that was how he hurt his back, by doing some kind of nerve damage.

As I said in the other post, he was doing 2 finger push ups, this V sit(which looks impossible). When he flexed he looked like a body builder.
They said the man was like steele, not a soft spot on his hole body.
He was the only one that I heard of that could do these amazing one inch punch.
And watching that scene with Lee and Chuck, you can obviously tell that chucks physical movements was no where near that of Lee's.

I watched in that video Lee kicking a man holding a bag about 5 to 8 yards in the air.

When you see movie stars like Lee, Norris, Segal, you sometimes think "are they the real deal", and most of them are. But it seems that Lee really was a cut above the rest. His ability, his talent, his drive was considered "super natural".

If Norris really thought he could beat Lee, then why would he and the other masters go and train under him?
Norris wouldn't stand a chance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonteel

Dec 21, 2004
Visit site
✟11,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As for Norris. He, at the time he was studying under Bruce, was a simple one martial art fighter. That's why Norris asked Bruce to help him. If Norris thought he was better than Bruce, then why did he study under him?

In the early 60's Bruce pioneered the idea of studying more than one art. I was in Aikido,(which is Juijitsu, judo and karate) in the 80's, and even they studied two additional arts (Kung Fu, Tai Chi) at one time.

That is why Bruce was so effective as a fighter. He was a killer in four different ranges. To beat him, you had to be excellent in all four.

Bruce's "tactic" is or was this. Stay alive at your opponents range, and kill him at the other three remaining ranges.

If you are into MMA, you see how this works in a modern competition. JKD has taught 20-60 martial arts since the early 60's. Bruce said we don't give belts because we don't issue a belt in just one art.

Changing the subject, Sarge (the legendary James Edwards) died in exactly the same way as Bruce. He went into the hospital because he was dizzy, and within 24 hours, he was dead. I believe that the daily beatings that Bruce and Sarge absorbed may be the common thread that explains the two deaths. Doctors can speculate on what caused it, but they are walking on totally new ground here. This isn't a case where an instructor was being sparring and being tapped on the side. This was full contact. Much like boxers when they spar.

To say that Bruce had an allergic reaction is overlooking the fact that he was brutally knocked by the best fighters in the world. And this abuse went on for many years.

Incidentally, when studying range four, JKD students will often go to boxing gyms to spar with boxers. You don't go to a judo guy when you want to learn about hitting. But, the regular martial arts community looks down on boxers (or it did before Bruce).

When Wing Chun was created, the woman that created it incorporated a huge amount of stuff from western boxing. The regular martial arts community also overlooked juijitsu as a "valued" martial art. Until the Gracie Brazialians hit MMA.

So, to summarize, you think that Chuck could out fight Bruce at four ranges? Or do you want to do a simple touch (tap) equals a point (like Chuck did) competition in one single sport?

Since you are aware of the idea of MMA, then consider this. Chuck competed in the old tap for a point competitions. If you put Chuck (young) and Bruce (young) into a MMA ring, imagine what would happen.

:cool: .

Upvote 0

Jonteel

Dec 21, 2004
Visit site
✟11,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't play games like fantasy football. This has come down to fantasy martial arts.....If so and so went up against so and so.

Bruce is respected by the best. If you want to attack him, then go ahead.

I don't have to read about it.

Good bye.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Jonteel said:
So, to summarize, you think that Chuck could out fight Bruce at four ranges? Or do you want to do a simple touch (tap) equals a point (like Chuck did) competition in one single sport?

:cool: .

Exactly! :D

I have watched these competitions, and they are far from being a real fight.
Lee fought some master from China who represented the Gung Fu(I believe).
They didn't want the style to be taught to anyone, and told him to stop it.
Lee refused so the two fought with the aggreement that the winner will get what they wanted.
Do you think that guy was any good? You better believe it.

Now Lee barely won, and after that fight he redesigned his fighting style into JKD.

The point is, he was in real street fights, with real masters or would be masters. People over in Asia hated him because he was so "cocky" and being small probalby didn't help Lee's appreciation much.

Lee even knew juijitsu, it was shown in his movies. Things like the arm triangle, the rear naked choke hold. The guy knew everything about everything in the fighting world. He had a massive liabrary on things like that and philosophy.
Whatever it took to win, he did it.

How could anyone stand a chance with someone who could knock you, not only out, but off of your feet with a one inch punch(if hit in the face)?
That kind of punch is what makes movies, that man is a legend for a reason.

And I'm surprised at just how good he really was.
Watching UFC I always wondered how martial artists would fair. Well they don't, they get killed.
And I always wondered if Lee could compete, and after watching many UFC's I thought he couldn't.
But after learning all that Lee knew, and his superior physic, I now know that he may not be unbeatable, but he would be a super star in the octagon.

Upvote 0

Dworkin

Nov 29, 2004
California
✟15,753.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Norris was the real deal, but don't think that because Lee never entered many tournaments, that he wasn't either. Lee was obsessed with being the best, and I have no doubt that he trained harder than Norris. Norris may have been stronger, simply because of size, but he was no where close to the speed Lee had. I'll take Lee.

Lee didn't like forms and as he called it 'that classical mess'. He knew that real fighting never looked like it did in the ring, and you had to be prepared for a drag out, 'anything goes' fighting. And after seeing the Ultimate fighting Championships and watching all the Karate, Kung Fu, etc experts get the fannies whipped, his words ring true. Norris was great in a ring where you had to follow rules (ala Karate Kid), but he would fall hard in a real fight against someone like lee.

Upvote 0