Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If by "brother's keeper" one means to love one's neighbor, then yes. In fact Jesus said that was among the greatest commandments (Mk 20:30-31).

The phrase "Am I my brother's keeper" is from Genesis, and it was what Cain answered to God after Cain killed Abel. God asked where was Abel, and Cain responded "Am I my brother's keeper?" as a means to avoid admitting he murdered Abel.

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

for Thy greater honor and glory
Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I mean is it our responsibilty to look after our "brothers" and be responsible for their short comings.... for instance... the idea that the things we do can make them stumble... is it our fault and should we have to be eternally vigilant, and if we do it in ignorance or innocence, are we still responsible?

Upvote 0

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I mean is it our responsibilty to look after our "brothers" and be responsible for their short comings.... for instance... the idea that the things we do can make them stumble... is it our fault and should we have to be eternally vigilant, and if we do it in ignorance or innocence, are we still responsible?

A person is ultimately responsible for his own sins. Of course, we should not do things that might abet him in his sin because then we commit a sin of our own.
Romans 14:13-21 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way.​
:)

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

for Thy greater honor and glory
Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
but if I'm eating chocolate decadance ice cream and don't know you're a closet glutton am I at fault... because it's not clear

hypothetically one could say I could hypothesize that someone in public that I'd know could have an issue with food so I should be cautious... just like they say with clothing all the time...

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
but if I'm eating chocolate decadance ice cream and don't know you're a closet glutton am I at fault... because it's not clear

hypothetically one could say I could hypothesize that someone in public that I'd know could have an issue with food so I should be cautious... just like they say with clothing all the time...
I agree that we should be cautious with our clothing.
When I had a job with all men, some of the things that
they'd comment on about other women and even to me,
made it clear that men are wired differently when it comes
to their eyes. :sorry:

Upvote 0
M

MamaZ

I believe we are our brothers keeper in the fact if we know that something will make our brother stumble we should avoid for all costs doing or having or eating this in front of him causing him to stumble. If we do not know then I don't believe that we are causing him to stumble. I truly believe that we do not have restrictions on us in area's but that not all things are profitable. When it comes to the dressing of a woman we know that men are wired different in their eyes and dressing to little does cause a man to stumble. I don't believe we should wear gunny sacks LOL but wear enough clothing that covers all the parts that were created for your husbands.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
don't believe we should wear gunny sacks LOL but wear enough clothing that covers all the parts that were created for your husbands.
iow, all of the parts?
And always keep your eyes covered or downcast :cool:
I think staying in the house is the best bet :p

Upvote 0
M

MamaZ

iow, all of the parts?
And always keep your eyes covered or downcast :cool:
I think staying in the house is the best bet :p
Make sure that the blinds are closed.. Modesty is in our best interest for not only us but our brothers.. Tee hee.. I know I don't like my husband and the colleges when he has to work there.. he comes home and tells me he needs a bath and goes straight for his scripture and prayer.. ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Esta2220

Mar 2, 2009
✟8,161.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe we are our brothers keeper in the fact if we know that something will make our brother stumble we should avoid for all costs doing or having or eating this in front of him causing him to stumble. If we do not know then I don't believe that we are causing him to stumble. I truly believe that we do not have restrictions on us in area's but that not all things are profitable. When it comes to the dressing of a woman we know that men are wired different in their eyes and dressing to little does cause a man to stumble. I don't believe we should wear gunny sacks LOL but wear enough clothing that covers all the parts that were created for your husbands.
Very well said MamaZ

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.