Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Brittney Griner is being transferred to a Russian penal colony -- a move her family has dreaded since Griner's August conviction on drug charges -- but her lawyers don't know where she is or where she's heading, her Russian legal team announced early Wednesday in Moscow.

The transfer began Friday, her lawyers said, a day after U.S. embassy officials visited her and far ahead of the schedule they had anticipated after Griner's appeal was denied Oct. 25. Typically, her attorneys had said, a transfer takes weeks or months. Griner's attorneys and U.S. officials were not aware she had been moved until Tuesday.

Griner's family might not know where she is for some time; according to her lawyers, "Notification is given via official mail and normally takes up to two weeks to be received."

Russian penal colonies are known for having far harsher conditions than the Moscow jail where Griner has been since she was detained in February.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Wednesday in a statement that the transfer is "another injustice layered on her ongoing unjust and wrongful detention."

Continued below.
Griner being transferred to Russian penal colony

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You can't go to a foreign country and expect to be treated like you would in the US. (But, I do feel bad for her.)
I feel bad for her of course. But I’m betting she has a different feeling for America than she did previously.

• Agree
Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟798,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I feel bad for her of course. But I’m betting she has a different feeling for America than she did previously.
Yeah, bet she never thought she'd be begging to come back.

Upvote 0