Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It’s a very heavy handed sentence but I wouldn’t expect anything less out of Russia.

Probably a good idea to not break the laws in an authoritarian state, particularly when they have a bone to pick with your home country.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It wouldn't be legal on an international flight, even in those 20 jurisdictions, though no?
I don’t know if the courts have addressed that yet. I doubt a federal prosecutor would want the headache of taking up the case for such a minor infraction.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟488,924.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I hear that there are talks of a prisoner exchange for Griner. I would advise against it. Sad for this woman, but that would only motivate russia to go after others.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I hear that there are talks of a prisoner exchange for Griner. I would advise against it. Sad for this woman, but that would only motivate russia to go after others.
All non diplomat Americans should get the heck out of there ASAP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
College educated women should know it is a poor idea to pack illegal substances into foreign countries. It doesn't matter what is legal in the USA or what penalties might be here. Russia is not the United States.

Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Brittney Griner trial: Russian court hands down verdict, sentence in WNBA star's case

Anyone know what the sentence would be for the same crime in US or Europe after pleading guilty?

One thing is for sure, she'll be fluent in Russian by the time she gets out! Stuff like this happens all the time. They used to have a show called Locked Up Abroad about Americans unaware of laws in the country they visited and ending up locked up. In one episode there were two teenage white girls who got life in prison in some country like Turkey or something for drug trafficking when a local guy one was dating tricked them into carrying luggage with drugs in it unknown to them. You have to be very careful when traveling overseas, those other countries don't play like we do here in America.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟899,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One thing is for sure, he'll be fluent in Russian by the time he gets out! Stuff like this happens all the time. They used to have a show called Locked Up Abroad about Americans unaware of laws in the country they visited and ending up locked up. In one episode there were two teenage white girls who got life in prison in some country like Turkey or something for drug trafficking when a local guy one was dating tricked them into carrying luggage with drugs in it unknown to them. You have to be very careful when traveling overseas, those other countries don't play like we do here in America.
He?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
When you can’t find a political angle so you can call someone you dislike a commie just misgender them I guess.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟137,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
When you can’t find a political angle so you can call someone you dislike a commie just misgender them I guess.
I went through a yellow light today, a dark orange “yellow light”; that’s how I took this one, this time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟260,324.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
College educated women should know it is a poor idea to pack illegal substances into foreign countries. It doesn't matter what is legal in the USA or what penalties might be here. Russia is not the United States.
you'd think people would know that but tourists and those that have never been to foreign countries have this mindset of invincibility and entitlement that they can do what they want.

• Agree
Reactions: CDM Tucson
Upvote 0

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟260,324.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
One thing is for sure, he'll be fluent in Russian by the time he gets out! Stuff like this happens all the time. They used to have a show called Locked Up Abroad about Americans unaware of laws in the country they visited and ending up locked up. In one episode there were two teenage white girls who got life in prison in some country like Turkey or something for drug trafficking when a local guy one was dating tricked them into carrying luggage with drugs in it unknown to them. You have to be very careful when traveling overseas, those other countries don't play like we do here in America.
because america doesn't indefinitely lock up foreigners?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

...DOJ, CIA etc have argued the same point. However, it appears public pressure pushed the Biden Administration / State Department to negotiate a swap.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Griner confessed to the court that it was simply a packing mistake. For for professional athletes who are always on the road and constantly unpacking/re-packing, I can understand how that would happen. Unfortunately, Russian justice doesn't reward confessions.

Upvote 0