England
✟40,747.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Er, what? What are you basing that on? Where a person has been given a life sentence with a minimum mandatory duration - e.g ‘so and so will serve a minimum of 15 yrs’, then at the end of that period the case will undergo review and might be extended, for specific reasons. However if you think that judges in the UK can keep anyone detained for any reason for as long as they want, you’re simply wrong.

No i agree its more complex than that as there are other sections of the state that can intervien say a judge locks someone up for no apparent reason its likely the judicial process would over turn that (as we see in the robinson case) and may even bring repercusions on the judge and if not then if the government percieves injustice it could over turn it. Finally the queen herself could pardon the individual but the state itself can conspire to arrest and detain individuals like we see in the case of the guilford four that the film in the name of the father exposes although in this case thw film portrays the conspiracy being centerd around police decpetion there could have been conspiracy within other branches also.

If the state determines a individual poses a risk it is entirely within its framwork to detain an individual indefinatly without a jury at her majestys pleasure until it deems the person is no longer a threat

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Grouch

Oct 20, 2017
England
✟40,747.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Grouch - if you are so unhappy with the system why are you still living in the UK ?

Thats a fair question

However I never said i was unhappy with it. Its really not that bad it could be better but so could all systems. I am not a royalist but at the sametime i see the protection the monarchy provides to the people and i am thankfull for that. On a whole the system is quite fair and the people working within the system are generally well intentioned. Never the less there is areas that are open to abuse and some bad applew do exist but that does not mean the entire system is bad.

Wanting improvements to the system your nation opperates under for the good of your fellow countrymen and childrens futures is not the same as wanting to abolish the system altogether or a rejection of the nation. I love my country

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,783.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Tommy is an advocate for seperate jails for Moslems and non Moslems because the Moslem inmates now run the jails in the UK and use them for radicalisation of other inmates. Tommy has seen several people he grew up with go to jail as non Moslems and come out of jail radicalised Moslems.
Tommy does not go by his real name so as to provide a certain level of anonymity to his wife and children in order to keep them safe.

• Agree
Reactions: eastcoast_bsc
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian

If you ever get the chance watch a film entitled "in the name of the father" it a true story of the guilford four... thats the reality of what our (british) justice system is like. Innocent men and women, known to the authorities to be innocent thrown into prison for 15 yrs... "in the name of the father" excellent film!!

Of course I watched the film several years back. I am very familiar with the Irish struggle. Read Bobby Sands diary as he suffered and died on the hunger strikes.

This quote from Bobby Sands really cut to the heart.

I am standing on the threshold of another trembling world. May God have mercy on my soul
My heart is very sore because I know that I have broken my poor mother’s heart, and my home is struck with unbearable anxiety. But I have considered all the arguments and tried every means to avoid what has become the unavoidable: it has been forced upon me and my comrades by four-and-a-half years of stark inhumanity

• Agree
Reactions: The Grouch
Upvote 0

The Grouch

Oct 20, 2017
England
✟40,747.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As a catholic of irish discent i have had symapthy toward the irish people in their struggles. Recently i have lost all affinity towards ireland and i am still hurting after the referendum a total betrayal of the catholic faith and everything i stand for by the irish people.

Regardless of bad priests and bishops you should always as a people defend the principles of your catholic faith and your nation founded on those principles.

The irish people may have surrendered... to the spirit of the age but for me the struggle continues

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: eastcoast_bsc
Upvote 0