✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1212/p06s01-woeu.html

london - Muslim leaders joined Britain's equality watchdog Monday in urging Britons to enjoy Christmas without worrying about offending non-Christians.

Muslim Council of Britain spokesman Shayk Ibrahim Mogra said, "To suggest celebrating Christmas and having decorations offends Muslims is absurd. Why can't we have more nativity scenes in Britain?"

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Why does anyone have to worry about offending another? Why can't we all just tolerate eachother's beliefs? Really, some people need a tougher skin if they get offended over "Merry Christmas" and other such sayings.

Upvote 0

Mr.Pious

Senior Veteran
Dec 23, 2003
✟17,602.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Why does anyone have to worry about offending another? Why can't we all just tolerate eachother's beliefs? Really, some people need a tougher skin if they get offended over "Merry Christmas" and other such sayings.

People love to complain....

Upvote 0

Pogue

left CF, please see profile for further details
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2006
http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
Aaah, common sense. It feels so good. If I hear the phrase 'it's political correctness gone mad' one more time in relation to Christmas, and how we're 'not allowed to celebrate it', I will go mad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wasn't aware we'd took him out to be honest.

Christmas has become so secularized we may as well have taken Jesus out of Christmas. It seems that in the United States at least, Christmas is all about giving and receiving presents and nothing about Jesus.

Am I the only one who doesn't understand what Jesus has to do with December 25th?:scratch:

No you probably are not the only one. Let me explain it to you. Traditionally, Christ's birthday has been celebrated on December 25, also known as Christmas. I'm not sure how old this tradition is but I'd say it is pretty old. Of course, Christ most likely was not born on December 25 but that is what our tradition says. But then again, nobody ever said that tradition has to be right 100% of the time, especially not when its not sacred tradition.

Upvote 0

CGL

Crazy Eight
Jul 4, 2007
Halifax, NS
✟9,312.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Libertarian
Of course, Christ most likely was not born on December 25 but that is what our tradition says.
Well, he would have been born in May wouldn't he?

"And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth" (Luke 1:26)

The sixth month of the Lunar calendar of the Old Testament would have been Elul (August/September)
obviously after conception it takes nine months for a baby to be born so that would put us in - skip Adar Sheni, cos' it's an intercalate month - Sivan (late May, early June)

Why do we celebrate his birth anyways? The Bible never tells us to celebrate his birth.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, he would have been born in May wouldn't he?

"And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth" (Luke 1:26)

The sixth month of the Lunar calendar of the Old Testament would have been Elul (August/September)
obviously after conception it takes nine months for a baby to be born so that would put us in - skip Adar Sheni, cos' it's an intercalate month - Sivan (late May, early June)

Why do we celebrate his birth anyways? The Bible never tells us to celebrate his birth.
I have no idea when Jesus would have been born but it is possible that He was born in late May or early June as you have suggested. As for why we celebrate his birth, why do we celebrate our own birthdays?

Upvote 0

CGL

Crazy Eight
Jul 4, 2007
Halifax, NS
✟9,312.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have no idea when Jesus would have been born but it is possible that He was born in late May or early June as you have suggested. As for why we celebrate his birth, why do we celebrate our own birthdays?
Good question. I don't celebrate mine.
The only people, mentioned in the Bible, who celebrated their birthdays were non-believers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good question. I don't celebrate mine.
The only people, mentioned in the Bible, who celebrated their birthdays were non-believers.
Well, as a part of our culture, we do celebrate birthdays and whose birthday is more important than Jesus'?

Upvote 0

simplicity

incredibly ordinary member
Jun 29, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
✟3,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Commercialization is the process of making something religious into something secular. I was pretty happy the last few weeks at Wal-mart though where they were playing Christian songs celebrating Christmas.

Upvote 0