Bristol Palin: A Bone To Pick With Obama Over Gay Marriage

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I didn't make any assumptions about the upcoming program.

No, you've just chosen to ignore it while you make assumptions about Bristol.

Not that I blame you -- I'd ignore it too if I were trying to make your point.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟79,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, you've just chosen to ignore it while you make assumptions about Bristol.

Not that I blame you -- I'd ignore it too if I were trying to make your point.
I haven't made any assumptions about Bristol as far as I recall. Perhaps you're mistaken

Upvote 0

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Really? So the Scared Straight program defeats the purpose of the message? Having recovering drug addicts talk to teens about the dangers of drugs defeats the message? I recall the now deceased criminal Stanley Tookie Williams. His supporters maintained that he wrote books for children that gave an anti-gang anti-violence message? Are you making the claim that he defeated his own message? Just so we know what point you're trying to make.

Are you really comparing a druggie going clean(a pretty lengthy and painful process, if my understanding serves right) and then trying to discourage others from making his mistakes to a woman having a baby and then immediately trying to play herself off as some sort of example? Di you really just do that? The pains of withdrawals, having to completely rework ones' life, compared to somebody having to get married and causing a bit of political inconvenience?

Or are we not supposed to look any deeper than "both talking about mistakes in the past?" Cause if not actually thinking is a prereq for these arguments, I think we both might be just wasting our time.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟79,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you really comparing a druggie going clean(a pretty lengthy and painful process, if my understanding serves right) and then trying to discourage others from making his mistakes to a woman having a baby and then immediately trying to play herself off as some sort of example? Di you really just do that? The pains of withdrawals, having to completely rework ones' life, compared to somebody having to get married and causing a bit of political inconvenience?

Or are we not supposed to look any deeper than "both talking about mistakes in the past?" Cause if not actually thinking is a prereq for these arguments, I think we both might be just wasting our time.
How much does one have to endure before one can advise others against making the same mistake? Just so I know where you're coming from.

Upvote 0

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
How much does one have to endure before one can advise others against making the same mistake? Just so I know where you're coming from.

It's not a matter of how much one endures, It's a matter of her pretty blatantly playing off a healthy premarital sex life as some sort of "mistake," all because it looked bad in the face of her mother's "values" platform. I was simply disgusted you'd compare that to people who have actually turned their lives around from a road to destruction.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟79,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's not a matter of how much one endures, It's a matter of her pretty blatantly playing off a healthy premarital sex life as some sort of "mistake," all because it looked bad in the face of her mother's "values" platform. I was simply disgusted you'd compare that to people who have actually turned their lives around from a road to destruction.
I see. The real problem is that she's preaching a morality to which you object. That certainly explains things.

Upvote 0

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I see. The real problem is that she's preaching a morality to which you object. That certainly explains things.

She's preaching something out of political convenience. If she'd never been found out, nothing would have happened. she'd never be talking about it, nothing negative would have happened to her or the baby. But no, she was noticed and now she has to preach this stuff to make sure mommy doesn't look like a hypocrite.

But ya, I'm big enough to admit my own personal views probably color the matter for me. But don't try to compare an act of inconvenience, with no real negative consequences, to actual life destroying practices like hard drugs and gang membership.

Edit: 0/10, btw. You need to lay your "but I thought our liberal friends were supposed to be so tolerant and open-minded" traps a little better next time :p

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟79,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
She's preaching something out of political convenience. If she'd never been found out, nothing would have happened. she'd never be talking about it, nothing negative would have happened to her or the baby. But no, she was noticed and now she has to preach this stuff to make sure mommy doesn't look like a hypocrite.
Political convenience? She's not a politician last I checked and the only reason she's in the limelight is that our liberal friends forced her there.

But ya, I'm big enough to admit my own personal views probably color the matter for me. But don't try to compare an act of inconvenience, with no real negative consequences, to actual life destroying practices like hard drugs and gang membership.
So you're claiming that being a teenage single mom has no real negative consequences? That seems an odd stance to me.

Edit: 0/10, btw. You need to lay your "but I thought our liberal friends were supposed to be so tolerant and open-minded" traps a little better next time :p

"liberal friends were supposed to be so tolerant and open-minded" trap"

Certainly don't know where that came from

Upvote 0

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Political convenience? She's not a politician last I checked and the only reason she's in the limelight is that our liberal friends forced her there.

So you're claiming that being a teenage single mom has no real negative consequences? That seems an odd stance to me.

"liberal friends were supposed to be so tolerant and open-minded" trap"

Certainly don't know where that came from

Her mother is a politician, and I don't care why she was in the limelight, the point is that once she was there she did whatever song and dance she needed to.

All the negative consequences that do come up with being a teenage mom are just other problems being made worst. Financial issues and care for the child come to mind as the closest things to inherent negative consequences, and considering her family's position and the fact they didn't disown her, I feel very safe saying neither of those apply. Whereas with drugs, it doesn't mater what you have, eventually they will tear your body up, and eventually you'll OD trying to get a decent buzz.

And you now exactly where that came from. It certainly feels like liberals aren't allowed to have personal opinions on things, with people citing how "tolerant" we claim to be.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟79,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Her mother is a politician,
Sarah is not a politician anymore

and I don't care why she was in the limelight, the point is that once she was there she did whatever song and dance she needed to.
Sometimes you plan the hand your dealt. Had our liberal friends not made an issue of her pregnancy, she would not have these opportunities.

All the negative consequences that do come up with being a teenage mom are just other problems being made worst. Financial issues and care for the child come to mind as the closest things to inherent negative consequences, and considering her family's position and the fact they didn't disown her, I feel very safe saying neither of those apply. Whereas with drugs, it doesn't mater what you have, eventually they will tear your body up, and eventually you'll OD trying to get a decent buzz.[/QUOTE]
Not sure where you get the idea they don't apply

And you now exactly where that came from. It certainly feels like liberals aren't allowed to have personal opinions on things, with people citing how "tolerant" we claim to be.
I made no mention of any thing of the sort.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Sarah is not a politician anymore

Sometimes you plan the hand your dealt. Had our liberal friends not made an issue of her pregnancy, she would not have these opportunities.

All the negative consequences that do come up with being a teenage mom are just other problems being made worst. Financial issues and care for the child come to mind as the closest things to inherent negative consequences, and considering her family's position and the fact they didn't disown her, I feel very safe saying neither of those apply. Whereas with drugs, it doesn't mater what you have, eventually they will tear your body up, and eventually you'll OD trying to get a decent buzz.
Not sure where you get the idea they don't apply

I made no mention of any thing of the sort.[/QUOTE]

Her mother was a politician at the time, and that's when it started. Now it's just easy money.

Something about having a family in politics makes me think Bristol and her baby had no worries of going without. Just a hunch, maybe I'm silly thinking politicians make good money.

And no, overtly you didn't make any mention. Even if I'm just being paranoid today, you can't pretend you don't play that game.
Oh who am I kidding, you can and probably will.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟79,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
]

Her mother was a politician at the time, and that's when it started. Now it's just easy money.

Something about having a family in politics makes me think Bristol and her baby had no worries of going without. Just a hunch, maybe I'm silly thinking politicians make good money.

And no, overtly you didn't make any mention. Even if I'm just being paranoid today, you can't pretend you don't play that game.
Oh who am I kidding, you can and probably will.
Perhaps you should read her autobiography and see if you are right or not. Certanly she hasn't had it as bad as some, but that doesn't mean she hasn't experienced the negative impact at all

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟79,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, I like this -- Bristol Palin's reality show is going to be the Abstinence version of "Scared Straight"? Is that the connection you want us to make, Mach?
I have no idea how her TV show will play out. Do you?

Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
katherine2001 said:
It's the schools job to teach their kids about sex and the morals that go with that? Really? My parents did that. By the time I learned about it in school, my parents had already taught me about it and the morals that go along with it to keep you out of trouble. Maybe Mom and Dad should have spent more time raising their kids with the proper moral values. I thought those on the Right believed in personal responsibility. Teaching kids about sex and the morality that goes with it is the parents job in the end.
It shouldn't be the school's job, but they subvert the instruction at home. Thus the home school movement

No. I was raised with values that were so strong they overrode anything I might have been "indoctrinated" with. My school had a sex education program that included abstinence, but was not abstinence-only. It seems to work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No. I was raised with values that were so strong they overrode anything I might have been "indoctrinated" with. My school had a sex education program that included abstinence, but was not abstinence-only. It seems to work.

Your parents raised you with values. That also worked.

See, Mach? No reason to blame anyone else. This is what happens when parents take responsibility for their kids' upbringing.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟79,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TLK Valentine said:
Your parents raised you with values. That also worked.

See, Mach? No reason to blame anyone else. This is what happens when parents take responsibility for their kids' upbringing.

Spoken as though those values were upheld in every circumstance

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Spoken as though those values were upheld in every circumstance

More like spoken as though that's the general idea. Perhaps you can turn your values on and off like a switch, but most of us are taught not to.

Upvote 0