Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is it that you think we're on right now? It's called the internet. If you had the first clue about me you'd know why I literally LOL'd at your petty assumptions. You could just post the link right here, you know. Since it's not a church you're going to or planning on it, you're not going to be revealing enough personal info to identify you. But however you slice it, they clearly have / had enough attendees to warrant the effort in making the site. I'm sure they're glad you won't be bringing that attitude of yours into that house of worship.

Did you really need to come to the internet to confirm that you're not the only one who doesn't care for loud worship music? Gracious. Our church, many others, have two worship services, one that's traditional & one that is contemporary. This is on account of how different folks have different preferences for how they choose to worship the Lord. Most middle-aged folks & older, they prefer the traditional. Younger folks tend to prefer the contemporary. Neither is superior to the other. With all the challenges Christians face, we ought to be lifting each other up. Be glad those folks are praising the Lord with their joyful noise & find your own way of worshipping God as you see best fit for your ears & preferences.

I was protecting that church. Even though I don't agree with them it is no excuse for me to disrespect them by opening them up to possible public criticism. If others are searching for a church local to me they will probably see it like I did.

You again have failed to address the point. I did not ask about people's opinions about loud music. I am asking their opinion about a church advertising to bring ear plugs if you visit. There is a difference. What's more, there is loud and then there is VERY loud; so loud that hearing protection is required. My wife and I can tolerate loud, sometimes pleasantly, but very loud, ear plug loud is unacceptable, in our opinion. I just came up with that link to a professional sound man's information about loudness of a worship experience at 2 pm this afternoon. It is not like I was holding on to it from the beginning. It was news to me, also; but VERY informative. All music ministry leaders should read it. They might be able to help their church avoid a future lawsuit for hearing damage with that information. I have had enough of your petty and frivolous innuendos and disrespect.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I totally agree you can praise the LORD without a single sound or even motion.
But it would be extremely difficult to praise Him with timbrels and drums and with dance without making a sound or using motion.

True. I like singing myself, but there is praise music and
entertainment, and they are very different. I remember
David Wilkerson back in the 80's about Christian rock
and what became contemporary Christian music. I used
to think he was wrong, but he was right on the money.
And it's only gotten worse since then.
"Driven To Darkness" by David Wilkerson, founding pastor of Times Square Church, New York City - August 3, 1987

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Monksailor
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I was protecting that church. Even though I don't agree with them it is no excuse for me to disrespect them by opening them up to possible public criticism. If others are searching for a church local to me they will probably see it like I did.

Well, and it makes it easier for you to say whatever you please about them without providing a link. You're protecting them from not attending their services with the attitude, so that's great.

You again have failed to address the point. I did not ask about people's opinions about loud music. I am asking their opinion about a church advertising to bring ear plugs if you visit. There is a difference. What's more, there is loud and then there is VERY loud; so loud that hearing protection is required. My wife and I can tolerate loud, sometimes pleasantly, but very loud, ear plug loud is unacceptable, in our opinion. I just came up with that link to a professional sound man's information about loudness of a worship experience at 2 pm this afternoon. It is not like I was holding on to it from the beginning. It was news to me, also; but VERY informative. All music ministry leaders should read it. They might be able to help their church avoid a future lawsuit for hearing damage with that information.

You've failed at reading my posts, since I already did address that point sufficiently. Since you've never been to this church, you don't know all the details about it, about the building, their set up, their congregation, why they're so loud, etc. We do missions with a church in Appalachia that is really poor, that can't afford a quality sound system to get it so it's loud enough to make a joyful noise, loud enough all the folks can hear, not so loud your ears ring. The solution is that folks with sensitive hearing sit farther back or go they just go to the traditional service.

I have had enough of your petty and frivolous innuendos and disrespect.

That's precisely what I've thought in reading your posts! :D

• Agree
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟292,069.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's good you didnt provide a link... there's plenty of churches that are heading into the too loud hearing damaging arena so most of us can relate to what you're asking without needing a link.
In a way it's good they let people know on their website so people know they risk their hearing by going there. Nothing worse than turning up and being deafened without prior warning. For the church in my area that is ridiculously loud I now have earplugs in my handbag... crazy that I need that to have them in order to go to that church (there's a couple of others that are heading that way as well sadly for the people's ears that go there) and I only go if I have to because it is too loud. My church is normal loud so they dont need earplugs to go which is rather appreciated!

Reactions: Monksailor
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
On the positive side, seekers increasingly find their way to churches via websites. The aforementioned church advising earplugs informs potential seekers about what sort of service they have as well as its volume level. If I was to read that, I would draw several conclusions, some of which could be wrong, such as:
  1. Praise band
  2. Emotionally-based worship
  3. Expect hand-clapping
  4. Loud
  5. Likely comes with a multi-media presentation
There would be multiple reasons for saying "no," which may or may not be correct.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi monksailor,

I've also attended some of these newer format worship services where one feels more like they're going to a rock concert as opposed to a more conventional worship service. I like a lot of the contemporary praise and worship music, but I'm not particularly enamored of the loud rock style presentation.

I'm sure that a lot of this is done to draw in a younger demographic, but I've often wondered then if the attendees are there more for the rock concert experience than true worship. I don't know, but the thought has crossed my mind. For me, I enjoy praise music that I can sing. In other words, I want to praise God through a joyful noise. I want to look into the heavens and raise my voice and my hands to the God I love. I want God to hear the praise of my heart. The rock concert format tends to drown that out. Often when I go to such places of worship and look around in the din of the noise, I find that few people are singing themselves. It truly gives me the feeling of being at a musical concert such as I used to attend in my youth.

So, for me, being one who likes to participate in the proclamation of praise unto the Lord, I prefer the more contemporary music, but played at a sound volume that allows the worshipers voice to be heard. The fellowship that I presently attend is able to do that. We have a good mix of music, I believe, played on more traditional instruments at more traditional volumes and in the place I am with God, I'm fine with that.

But, knowing that too much exposure to overly loud noise does tend to harm the fine hairs of the ear, hearing damage may turn out to be a problem for some. I would definitely avoid any worship service where a warning of needing noise protection is made. I don't think that God ever intended us to praise Him in such a manner that it would cause harm to those who do so.

As an aside to this issue, I'm also not particularly fond of these 'black out' meeting places with all the showy spotlights. It just seems that a bit too much attention is being given to 'how does the band perform' and, as I say, providing a rock concert atmosphere.

Hey, but I'm old.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I am seeking a new church. In the process I have come across one that in the "about" tab seems to be one to check out but then it warns a would-be visitor to bring ear protection plugs and says that they have some if you forget yours. They explain and seem to be bragging about the fact that their praise and worship time is loud. If you read this at an online web site of a church you were considering what would your thought(s) be?
(I AM NOT ASKING ADVICE ABOUT WHAT I SHOULD DO. We have already discerned that this is not a place we would want to attend. I am merely asking your opinion of what you would think if YOU were seeking a different church and found this on an online web site. Thanks.)
First of all, I personally wouldn't bother going. I am what is called a Highly Sensitive Person, and loud music literally hurts my ears and makes it impossible for me to worship. I've walked out of churches before.

Secondly, I think this church needs to rethink their priorities since they seem to be aware that their music is dangerously loud even for normal people but do it anyways.

Third, I suspect their music stinks if they have to compensate with loudness. If you are the sort that you desire good music, perhaps you should look elsewhere.

Fourth. it sounds like they are putting on a concert. Church is not a concert. We are not there to be entertained, we are there to worship, to be taught, and to break bread. Nothing ticks me off more than the insatiable desire of the present generation to be entertained by bells and whistles. Get some depth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The thing about contemporary Christian music is that its often not very good music nor is it good theology. That can't be enhanced by volume, IMHO.

I don't like loud restaurants either.
I agree with all you've said.

You know, I go to a nice restaurant for food and to chat with friends. It makes no sense if I have to yell over music or the ball game.

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0