tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can praise him without saying a word.

Praise: Halal (Hebrew)
means "to shine"

Isaiah 60:1-3
1 Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee.
2 For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee.
3 And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising.
True...but it's kind of hard to hear that when you're at the back of a tent full of people and animals. That's all we're saying. :wave:
tulc(suspects people are being a little nostalgic when they think about worship in the old days as compared to today) :sorry:

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can praise him without making a sound.

Praise: Halal (Hebrew)
means "to shine"

Isaiah 60:1-3
1 Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee.
2 For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee.
3 And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising.
I totally agree you can praise the LORD without a single sound or even motion.
But it would be extremely difficult to praise Him with timbrels and drums and with dance without making a sound or using motion.

• Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think there is a large variety of worship out there because it pleases the Lord to have that variety. I wouldn't base your decision on what you read, but on the leading of the Holy Spirit. Is He nudging you to go to the church? Even if the worship is over the top, maybe He wants you there for reasons unknown to you. You really need to pray about this.

• Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Bible Believing Gentiles

Dec 5, 2017
Florida
✟9,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I am seeking a new church. In the process I have come across one that in the "about" tab seems to be one to check out but then it warns a would-be visitor to bring ear protection plugs and says that they have some if you forget yours. They explain and seem to be bragging about the fact that their praise and worship time is loud. If you read this at an online web site of a church you were considering what would your thought(s) be? Would you think that they were trying to "screen out" certain age(s) or theological perspectives?

I would imagine that means they use some kind of technology to make this sound loud enough that you need earplugs. Only my dad can scream loud enough to hurt someone's ears. If they are screaming that loud in praise, please go there. If they are boasting of the money it took to buy all this equipment to lift their voices and instruments then I imagine it just gets quieter the closer it gets to heaven

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am seeking a new church. In the process I have come across one that in the "about" tab seems to be one to check out but then it warns a would-be visitor to bring ear protection plugs and says that they have some if you forget yours. They explain and seem to be bragging about the fact that their praise and worship time is loud. If you read this at an online web site of a church you were considering what would your thought(s) be? Would you think that they were trying to "screen out" certain age(s) or theological perspectives?

I'd avoid it.
Loud worship does not necessarily mean sincere, honest worship. Not that I'd call them fake, or anything, but God hears the smallest whispers of our heart, and doesn't need a lot of noise.

Are this church trying to impress him, or make sure the neighbours hear what's going on? If the latter, they may be disturbed by the noise, which would not be a good witness.

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd be wary but would probably be intrigued enough to visit it once. It may be as simple as they feel they have a ministry to rock fans and its a way of attracting them. You can't judge them on a few words or sentences on a website about being loud. I would be more concerned with their statement of faith.

Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟292,569.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
At least they are honest that they are happy to be damaging people's hearing.
I wouldn't go to that church.
We have one like that here that has earplugs and even with them in its loud. So I don't like going there... what's the point when it's so loud you can't concentrate.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What business is it of yours or mine what the attendee status of that church is? None. If the folks who are attendees are bothered by the sound levels then they could take it up with the ministry & have that changed. Seems like they're content with making joyful noises to the Lord, so they've kept doing so. The church is considerate & mindful that some folks have more sensitive ears, so they're giving out the ear plugs. Anybody turned off by that can just go on their way. My opinion is that each church ought to praise the Lord, how they see best fit.

We've got a drum screen at our church but it cost a few grand. You can get cheaper ones, but they're not going to be nearly as effective. I can see why some churches don't have them, on account of the budget issues. At some churches, the drummers bring in their own drums for the services. Ear plugs are pretty cheap. You can get a big case of them at Sam's Club.
Go Braves, You made the attendee status YOUR business when you assumed that there were still people attending that church. I was responding to you initializing the practice of one making attendee status their business. You said, "some folks are still finding joy in it if they continue to go to that church." You have no idea if the attendee status is present or absent. The church could have died and been abandoned for all you or I know. I only visited a web site and as I said web sites regularly linger on LOOONG after an entity is gone. Maybe you are unaware of that if you are rarely on the internet. There is no logical validity to your presumption which you used to justify your statement above of post #15.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd be wary but would probably be intrigued enough to visit it once. It may be as simple as they feel they have a ministry to rock fans and its a way of attracting them. You can't judge them on a few words or sentences on a website about being loud. I would be more concerned with their statement of faith.
Yes, I had checked that out and their doctrine and much more. That is why I said I had found it a candidate until I read the warning about ear protection. My wife and I have already decided to pass it on (if it is still there) as we hate ear plugs. We already have to fool with them every night to be able to sleep through all of the nearby environment noise. The Bible says to make a JOYFUL noise but so loud that it can damage one's ears? I think NOT!!! We want to be able to focus on the message of the lyrics of a song. That is part of our worship. If we have to wear ear plugs we/they would be limiting our ability to worship.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I agree. Louder does not necessarily mean stronger or more powerful. MANY times it is a cover up for feelings of inadequacy. And worse and much more hazardous, it is a fleshly effort in the absence of faith for which a mere whisper can knock down a mountain..

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Like another poster has said on this thread, "Church is not about entertainment." We chose not to go there NOT due to judgement regarding "a few words or sentences on a website about being loud." We chose NOT to go there simply because we want to be able to have an orderly worship service (as instructed in God's Word) and one in which we are able to maintain focus on the LYRICS of the music and not the noises. Our worship means much, much more to us if we don't have noisy, ear hurting distractions and are allowed to focus upon much more significant and meaningful things as God's Word and lyrics inspired by God's Word. If a church informs us that there will be such distracting noise we simply will go on down the road. No judgement. Some people do love ear piercing volume levels so loud I cannot imagine any conscious thought able to occur but screaming pain but if such is their way of worship then go for it. This is why there are so many churches.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A sound professional, Leon Sievers on the "experiencing worship" web site says in his article entitled, "How Loud is Your Church?", "I recommend operating your church sound system at no more than 80dB peak during worship and averaging 65-70dB during the service. Sound Pressure Levels, which exceed these parameters, will cause ear fatigue, loss of concentration and potential hearing damage." See the full article here: How Loud is your Church? | Experiencing Worship Hmmm, no wonder why people (at ANY age) can't concentrate with very loud sounds going on. Very informative, detailed page from a sound professional for church noise levels and the actual damage to ears. By the way, it shouldn't necessary to say this but..., those db levels apply to natural sounds well as electronically enhanced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those who would claim that they experience the Holy Spirit in loud music/noises need to seriously read that article above. The fact is that loud noises trigger a biological response which releases an adrenaline rush into the body.

• Agree
Reactions: StillGods
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Go Braves, You made the attendee status YOUR business when you assumed that there were still people attending that church. I was responding to you initializing the practice of one making attendee status their business. You said, "some folks are still finding joy in it if they continue to go to that church." You have no idea if the attendee status is present or absent. The church could have died and been abandoned for all you or I know. I only visited a web site and as I said web sites regularly linger on LOOONG after an entity is gone. Maybe you are unaware of that if you are rarely on the internet. There is no logical validity to your presumption which you used to justify your statement above of post #15.

LOL! Let's just use some common sense about this, alright? If the church didn't have a soul attending it, it would not make one lick of sense that they'd still be maintaining the website where you read about the service having ear plugs. Now, whether they've got thousands attending or just a handful isn't my business or yours, a church is a church. There's absolutely no logical validity in your post or your pettiness about what that church does at their service. Sounds like you're going out of your way to try to find fault in a church you have no intention of joining anyhow. That sort of pettiness is just a shame.

• Haha
Reactions: Monksailor
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LOL! Let's just use some common sense about this, alright? If the church didn't have a soul attending it, it would not make one lick of sense that they'd still be maintaining the website where you read about the service having ear plugs. Now, whether they've got thousands attending or just a handful isn't my business or yours, a church is a church. There's absolutely no logical validity in your post or your pettiness about what that church does at their service. Sounds like you're going out of your way to try to find fault in a church you have no intention of joining anyhow. That sort of pettiness is just a shame.
Apparently, you don't use the internet very much cause they don't have to maintain a web site for it to still be up. We are talking simple no expense short info pages. No live streams, interaction, etc. I have found low/no expense web pages like this up and navigable when the business and even church have expired. Not trying to find fault. Trying to see if there is anyone else with my perceptions or if I am all alone. Obviously, I am not alone. Not even close. Whew! I was beginning to wonder about things. There are so many churches today that erroneously think that church is all about entertainment and/or presenting something other than the Gospel message or the Word of God to entice people to come to church one wonders.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Apparently, you don't use the internet very much cause they don't have to maintain a web site for it to still be up. We are talking simple no expense short info pages. No live streams, interaction, etc. I have found low/no expense web pages like this up and navigable when the business and even church have expired. Not trying to find fault. Trying to see if there is anyone else with my perceptions or if I am all alone. Obviously, I am not alone. Not even close. Whew! I was beginning to wonder about things. There are so many churches today that erroneously think that church is all about entertainment and/or presenting something other than the Gospel message or the Word of God to entice people to come to church one wonders.

What is it that you think we're on right now? It's called the internet. If you had the first clue about me you'd know why I literally LOL'd at your petty assumptions. You could just post the link right here, you know. Since it's not a church you're going to or planning on it, you're not going to be revealing enough personal info to identify you. But however you slice it, they clearly have / had enough attendees to warrant the effort in making the site. I'm sure they're glad you won't be bringing that attitude of yours into that house of worship.

Did you really need to come to the internet to confirm that you're not the only one who doesn't care for loud worship music? Gracious. Our church, many others, have two worship services, one that's traditional & one that is contemporary. This is on account of how different folks have different preferences for how they choose to worship the Lord. Most middle-aged folks & older, they prefer the traditional. Younger folks tend to prefer the contemporary. Neither is superior to the other. With all the challenges Christians face, we ought to be lifting each other up. Be glad those folks are praising the Lord with their joyful noise & find your own way of worshipping God as you see best fit for your ears & preferences.

• Agree
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0