US-Democrat

cartman

Authoritah
Aug 16, 2002
Visit site
✟15,355.00
Faith
Humanist
I watched the shorter clip. Very interesting.

I especially liked his comment that Christians "talking about [God] with the same certainty that they would a recipe for chicken salad is absurd--and probably blasphemous." (I must confess some doubt as to the dish's identity. What do you expect--I'm agnostic. ;))

Based on the interview, I think I'd be interested in reading his books.

But, I doubt (there's that word again!) his ideas would be received any better on CF than they are by the Christians mentioned in the clip.

Thanks for the link!

Reactions: Allen1901
Upvote 0

Allen1901

King's Knight
Nov 1, 2008
The Road to Damascus, Virginia U.S.A.
✟73,745.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've read Generous Orthodoxy and This Story We Find Ourselves In.

I liked the first one quite well. Perhaps I'll give those a listen.

Thank You for the book recommendations.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Allen1901

King's Knight
Nov 1, 2008
✟73,745.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I watched the shorter clip. Very interesting.

I especially liked his comment that Christians "talking about [God] with the same certainty that they would a recipe for chicken salad is absurd--and probably blasphemous." (I must confess some doubt as to the dish's identity. What do you expect--I'm agnostic. ;))

Based on the interview, I think I'd be interested in reading his books.

But, I doubt (there's that word again!) his ideas would be received any better on CF than they are by the Christians mentioned in the clip.

Thanks for the link!

You're welcome. Thank You for the comments.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Allen1901

King's Knight
Nov 1, 2008
✟73,745.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Although I do not completely buy into the whole post-Modern/post-foundationalism mindset, I nevertheless have enjoyed and agreed with McLaren on a lot of points. At some point along the fault lines of "newer Evangelical" and "Emergent" is where Paxi lives.

Thank You for Your comments, Paxi.

God Bless! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AzA

NF | NT
Aug 4, 2008
✟17,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I listened to both videos. I like his emphasis on agency and transformation -- activity.

I also understand why the goal of "intentional churches committed to saving creation from human evil..." is both foreign and completely frightening to a lot of Christian groups.

"It's not our job to save anybody from anything!" underlies the standard response, so I would probably not use that language with them.

Upvote 0

Allen1901

King's Knight
Nov 1, 2008
✟73,745.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I listened to both videos. I like his emphasis on agency and transformation -- activity.

I also understand why the goal of "intentional churches committed to saving creation from human evil..." is both foreign and completely frightening to a lot of Christian groups.

"It's not our job to save anybody from anything!" underlies the standard response, so I would probably not use that language with them.

Thank You for Your insight, AzA! :)

God Bless You!

Upvote 0