Brett Kavanaugh

Do you think Brett Kavanaugh will be confirmed to the SCOTUS?

• Total voters

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The Dems also hatched this crazy plan to use it to get Garland confirmed in the time between the 114th Congress ending and the 115th Congress beginning when there would be a Democrat majority for a short period of time. Needless to say someone sane realized the plan would be illegal and so it died a wheezing death.

That is a fascinating claim because the Republicans had the majority during the entire 114th and 115th Congress. Doing to some checking, I see the 114th ended with 54 Republicans and the 115th started with 52 Republicans. Not a large majority, but a majority nonetheless.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So 32 people predicted it correctly, and one person made a wrong prediction about this.

It was an easy call. Everyone knew that the Republicans would put their hands over America's mouth and force him upon us regardless of what we wanted.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It was an easy call. Everyone knew that the Republicans would put their hands over America's mouth and force him in regardless of was wanted.

Indeed -- and playing the "a sexual assault accusation will ruin the poor man's life!" card really tugged on the ol' heartstrings, didn't it?

• Haha
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Indeed -- and playing the "a sexual assault accusation will ruin the poor man's life!" card really tugged on the ol' heartstrings, didn't it?

Gotta feel sorry for those poor people of privilege....

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This isn't unusual for high profile cases. The FBI generally get thousands of worthless or fabricated tips on cases that garner a lot of publicity.

Do they really. Well, ordinarily I'd ask for evidence, but given the non partisan even minded source, lets just believe it. [/sarcasm]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

That's a misleading title if I've ever seen one....

The article links to a source...

After New Details on Kavanaugh Investigation Surface, Senators Call on FBI for Answers on Handling of ‘Tip Line’ | U.S. Senator Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island

“If the FBI was not authorized
to or did not follow up on any of the tips that it received from the tip line, it is difficult to understand the point of having a tip line at all
."

So the FBI wasn't authorized to follow up on the tips. That's not the same as choosing to ignore them. Furthermore...

During the hearing, Wray echoed Republican claims that the FBI conducted the investigation “by the book,” while asserting that supplemental background investigations are less rigorous than criminal and counterintelligence investigations.

It seems like the Democratic Party wanted this handled like a criminal investigation.

It wasn't...it wasn't supposed to be.

The link above details their background investigation and the parameters they are required to follow. They interviewed 49 people as part of the background investigation and an additional 10 as part of the supplemental investigation.

The FBI doesn't appear to have done anything wrong as at all.

The FBI's function as an ISP is purely fact finding. The authorities, policies, and procedures relied on by the FBI to conduct Bls are not the same as the authorities, policies, and procedures used to investigate criminal matters. Accordingly, the FBI division responsible for conducting Bls is the Security Division, which is separate from the divisions responsible for investigating criminal matters.

I'm not sure what the Democratic Party Members are hoping to achieve by slandering the FBI.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Normally you'd ask for evidence of what? That the FBI get a lot of tips?

Nope, sad, pathetic attempt at goalpost shift noted.

A regular day involves hundreds.

Your irrelevant article says that

High profile cases generate thousands.

It doesn't say that, thats just in your head.

So I'll try to drag you back on topic, your previous posting history suggesting the futility notwithstanding, please provide evidence the Kavanagh case involved thousands of worthless or fabricated tips.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Nope, sad, pathetic attempt at goalpost shift noted.

Huh?

Your irrelevant article says that

You didn't specify what you wanted evidence of.

It doesn't say that, thats just in your head.

Nah...that's pretty much standard knowledge.

What happens to tips submitted to the FBI? | khou.com

The FBI said they got about 1,300 tips per day in a recent year, with only about 100 or so being “actionable”.

Actionable in this context doesn't mean "valid"....simply that it might be worth looking into...

Here's another...Unabomber case gain publicity. Tip line set up. 50,000+ tips in about a year. 1 valid tip amongst all those.

https://www.fbi.gov/news/podcasts/inside-the-fbi-the-unabomber-case-040821

So I'll try to drag you back on topic, your previous posting history suggesting the futility notwithstanding, please provide evidence the Kavanagh case involved thousands of worthless or fabricated tips.

Oh....I see. This is a reading comprehension issue. I never said such a thing....and why would I? I don't have access to those "tips". I simply stated what is typical of such tip line information in these types of cases.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
This isn't unusual for high profile cases. The FBI generally get thousands of worthless or fabricated tips on cases that garner a lot of publicity.

I have no doubt that the FBI gets a fair number of false or go-nowhere tips.

I don't really think that addresses this however, from the Reuters article,

"According to that June 30 letter, written by FBI Assistant Director Jill Tyson, the most "relevant" of the 4,500 tips were referred to lawyers in President Donald Trump's White House whose handling of them remains unclear."

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

"According to that June 30 letter, written by FBI Assistant Director Jill Tyson, the most "relevant" of the 4,500 tips were referred to lawyers in President Donald Trump's White House whose handling of them remains unclear."

-CryptoLutheran
I think it comes down to what the administration said. If they said that FBI was going to investigate, then that seems to have been false. Rather if any investigation was to be done it would have been by the White House, according to this story.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I think it comes down to what the administration said. If they said that FBI was going to investigate, then that seems to have been false. Rather if any investigation was to be done it would have been by the White House, according to this story.

...and since the White House had zero incentive to investigate any of them...

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

-CryptoLutheran
Who better to investigate such behavior than the Trump legal team. Am I right?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

-CryptoLutheran

Right...it's a background investigation.

As they explained in their letter, the FBI collects the information and submits it to the party requesting it.

In this case, that's the White House.

Again, it seems like some people wanted a criminal investigation instead.

I would imagine that would require criminal charges or allegations at least. Ford didn't claim she was raped...she claimed she wasn't raped but was afraid she would be.

What crime exactly would that fall under?

Upvote 0