Brett Kavanaugh

Do you think Brett Kavanaugh will be confirmed to the SCOTUS?

• Total voters

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Bottom line: Do you think he will be confirmed to the SCOTUS?

Because in my opinion I think he probably will be confirmed.

full

• Winner
Reactions: brinny

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Of course. It's purely partisan at the moment. It might not have been had Garland been confirmed, but the traditional approach to SC justices has now fallen apart. I fear it may never come back, so we're probably in for party-line votes in the future.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟631,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It depends. The variables; When will the vote take place, before or after midterms? Who has control of the Senate at the time of the vote?

My guess is the GOP will call the vote just ahead of midterms and he will be confirmed narrowly on a party line vote.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟317,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
He shouldn't be confirmed - there are now two documented cases of perjury during his appointment hearing for the Appellate Court in 2006, which would make him categorically unfit for office in any sane society.

Unfortunately, for the reasons already stated, he will likely be confirmed in spite of that.
I agree. But Republican senators don't seem to be willing to hold anyone accountable. I don't think that's going to change. (This isn't necessarily anti-Republican, but what Democratic senators would do in the analogous situation isn't relevant.)

It's also *very* unlikely that the new Senate will be any more blue than the current one.

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Of course he will be...unless one or two senators find some ethics in a hurry...

After all, this is the ‘main prize’ for most conservatives. They aren’t concerned with the wishes of the majority of Americans. And they have been prepared to ignore the incompetence and corrupt behaviour of the president, as long as he delivers for them someone that will assist their partisan judicial agenda...

Upvote 0

theQuincunx5

Apr 7, 2018
Seattle
✟40,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I thought it was a given that he would be confirmed. Hence the GOP's lack of interest in letting everyone see his full record.

I thought it was a given that we had ceded all decisions for the SCOTUS to the GOP. I mean if they don't get their way they just steal the seats anyway. So might as well let the widdle ones have their way. Easier when you don't have to listen to the Right Wing Tantrums.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Bottom line: Do you think he will be confirmed to the SCOTUS?

Because in my opinion I think he probably will be confirmed.
If he is (and I agree that it seems likely) do you think Trump's Christian Nationalist base will drop him, having gotten all they can from him to advance their agenda?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NotreDame

Domer
Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟505,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He shouldn't be confirmed - there are now two documented cases of perjury during his appointment hearing for the Appellate Court in 2006, which would make him categorically unfit for office in any sane society.

Unfortunately, for the reasons already stated, he will likely be confirmed in spite of that.

The facts of the first alleged incident do not establish perjury. Kavanaugh was invited to discuss the nomination. But the invitation is not the same as “handling” the nomination and there is no evidence Kavanaugh ever attended the meeting.

No substantive evidence Kavanaugh knew the documents were stolen.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

There is nothing, anywhere, to suggest that he perjured himself in 2006. He was blind copied on an email sent to someone else about a meeting he never attended.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟343,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Normally I would say he's too controversial t o be confirmed, but the Republicans have shown they don't care and will confirm anybody put in front of them. That's scary enough when executive branch appointees are horrifying, but downright horrifying where judges are involved. A large part of the legitimacy of the courts comes from the knowledge that they are supposed to be apolitical, but when open idealouges who indicate that precedent might not matter for their pet cases get confirmed, they lose a lot of that legitimacy.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟317,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The facts of the first alleged incident do not establish perjury. Kavanaugh was invited to discuss the nomination. But the invitation is not the same as “handling” the nomination and there is no evidence Kavanaugh ever attended the meeting.

There is nothing, anywhere, to suggest that he perjured himself in 2006. He was blind copied on an email sent to someone else about a meeting he never attended.
Read the full Twitter thread of emails. It's not just the one.

No substantive evidence Kavanaugh knew the documents were stolen.
I dunno, the documents that Senator Leahy released look pretty damning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Kavanaugh is incorruptible and above reproach, according to the 7% of his total documentation that the GOP decided not to block Congress from seeing.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It amazes me that the GOP couldn’t just find a conservative nominee without all this baggage. Last time after stealing Garland’s seat they deserved to be hauled over the barrel, but this nominee is theirs fair and square. And they still couldn’t just find a decent choice..

Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
It amazes me that the GOP couldn’t just find a conservative nominee without all this baggage. Last time after stealing Garland’s seat they deserved to be hauled over the barrel, but this nominee is theirs fair and square. And they still couldn’t just find a decent choice..
The guy who had recently retired, pick him.

Upvote 0