Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was just curious if anyone had any go to songs for a Christian dating break up? I'm going through a time right now and I think I have in the past and was reading that it's best to not listen to depressing songs and have a good "God oriented break up playlist". I'm putting mine together on Spotify right now.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is a great break up song! It's about being better off without the other person. Being better off without something that drags you down is a Christian theme, right?

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was just curious if anyone had any go to songs for a Christian dating break up? I'm going through a time right now and I think I have in the past and was reading that it's best to not listen to depressing songs and have a good "God oriented break up playlist". I'm putting mine together on Spotify right now.
Definitely stay away from depressing songs, they open doors to the demonic. I find these songs comforting on my journey. Wishing you well!

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is a great break up song! It's about being better off without the other person. Being better off without something that drags you down is a Christian theme, right?

Interesting. Thanks. I was looking for something that focuses on our relationship with the Lord. Taking the focus off of the other person. I guess the God oriented focus would be kind of getting a reset in my life at my relationship with the Lord. Everyone is different though so this song may help someone else :)

• Friendly
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are christian break up songs? That's a new one to me
There's an article that I was reading that had some suggestions as a Christian after a breakup. And the songs you listened to was one of them. I might have to agree on this one because worship is powerful.

The list that they gave is
A future not my own by Matt Maher, Desert song by Hillsong, Make a Way by I am they, I shall not want by Audrey Assad, Trust in you by Lauren daigle, Oceans by Hillsong United, come as you are by Crowder, By Your side by tenth avenue North, Steady My heart by Kari Jobe, and Blessed be Your name by Matt Redman. I also did a search and Spotify had a list of God oriented breakup songs. Plumb was at the top and I know that help me back in 2006.

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Definitely stay away from depressing songs, they open doors to the demonic. I find these songs comforting on my journey. Wishing you well!

ohh, two out of three I like here. I'm sure that this will bless someone else also :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Job3315
Upvote 0

JustSomeBloke

Unacceptable Fringe Minority
Site Supporter
Sep 10, 2018
My Home
✟177,126.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Credit to @gospels as I think it was she who introduced me to this lovely track.

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Credit to @gospels as I think it was she who introduced me to this lovely track.
This song is so amazing! I really really liked it and I shared it on social media because maybe someone else needs to hear it :) thanks for sharing this.

• Friendly
Reactions: JustSomeBloke
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Seems like a good song. I was wondering by the lyrics are they talking about God or they talking about a relationship with someone else?
The way I interpret it is they are referring to the devil. During the times they lived in sin and darkness.

Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

shineyourlight

Mar 6, 2020
New York
✟71,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Let's be honest, I created a playlist after a breakup and it was full of sad songs.

I couldn't cry, so I needed to see if those made me cry. Sometimes, it's okay to listen to sad songs if it's going to benefit you.

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Let's be honest, I created a playlist after a breakup and it was full of sad songs.

I couldn't cry, so I needed to see if those made me cry. Sometimes, it's okay to listen to sad songs if it's going to benefit you.
That makes sense. Every person's coping or resiliency is unique to their personality. glad you found a way to cope through music :) Sometimes just relating to other people situations helps us recover better.

Upvote 0

shineyourlight

Mar 6, 2020
New York
✟71,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That makes sense. Every person's coping or resiliency is unique to their personality. glad you found a way to cope through music :) Sometimes just relating to other people situations helps us recover better.
It didn't make me cry.

Therefore, the playlist was deleted.

What do you find that is helpful?

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It didn't make me cry.

Therefore, the playlist was deleted.

What do you find that is helpful?
I don't have that many experiences with breakups but right now the biggest things I have learned and have helped me to cope compared to the past.

1.) I read that it takes about half the time of the relationship to cope or recover. So for me I'm thinking three and a half weeks I'm almost there.

2.) Prayer and accountability. From the beginning of dating everyone was covering it with prayer and also after.

3.) Accidentally signed up with an online dating site, long story, but there have been guys who have just been there to encourage me in my walk and faith with no intentions beyond.

4.) I've immediately surrounded myself with my girlfriends for fellowship. And keeping myself connected.
5.) Keeping up with my garden and yard also has been very relaxing.
6.) I had a mini retreat a week ago 40-60 ft in the air on a perch overlooking the Galien River. I spent almost two hours reading the book of Proverbs.

7.) I've kept a notebook nearby to write down things that I had heard from the Lord. I took 12 days before and after the breakup to just listen to the Lord. No music in the morning as I got ready for work.

8.)I'm keeping myself healthy with my running and nutrition and water intake. I've been traveling and planning places for special runs. I've had a few where somebody joins me also. Just basically living on life and I've posted on social media to continue some kind of normal without any indication of what has happened.

9.) All the things we talked about for the future I basically found a way to do those things or will be doing those things with friends. Also I haven't let what happened limit me, and I just did a challenging incline run in the area of the where the guy lives 45 minutes from me. I will also be camping there next Saturday with a friend. 8 years ago we had camped there and we are looking forward to the fellowship and something we both have been wanting to do for a long time. That's an example of something the guy I went on dates with was talking about doing with me.

10.) Covering everything in prayer and little by little having a reset in my relationship with the Lord. Also confessing any sin that took place during that time. For me it was idolatry and my work ethic declined. He drew me more away from the Lord then towards. So I am returning to my first love, Jesus.

11.) Others that have prayed for me and been there this whole time have been speaking truth and wisdom into my life. it's been amazing and a much better break up then I have experienced in much of my past.

12.)I told the person that broke up with me from the beginning if we were not a long-term match that we would always be good friends. And at the break of I told him the same thing but I have distanced myself. I believe time will heal and I will be okay hopefully in a better place to encourage and pray for him and his future (relationship with the Lord and possibly a suitable helpmate). Right now I cannot pray for him and I have just let my friends pray for him.

13.) as far as crying the most useful information I got from a longtime friend and sister in Christ was to cry it out for 2 to 3 minutes max and move on. so it's been in short increments. I also have to watch my health since I have a compromised immune system that I will go into a deep sickness if I cry too much. It happened in 2012 when a guy chose another girl that had been interested in me, but our schedules conflicted that I couldn't let him pursue.

15.) This is definitely not something God honoring but I am watching a very worldly TV series that is from 2009 possibly. Part of it is trying to understand what privileged life is like. I got the DVDs from the library and also got some books. It's two part in growing in my knowledge of some things and also understanding the person that I was dating before. It's been a bit of a stress relief since I only watch movies maybe four times a year and I don't watch TV. for those who watch TV all the time I wouldn't recommend this but trying to explore something new that is different and helps you to learn.

16.) I'm also focusing on house & yard projects that maybe have fallen behind because of the time that a relationship takes.

Anyways I know that is long but I hope that there is a sliver of useful information that may be helpful to someone reading this. I'm really not there yet in letting go, but I trust that it will happen as each morning I wake up I've been stronger in Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shineyourlight

Mar 6, 2020
New York
✟71,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't have that many experiences with breakups but right now the biggest things I have learned and have helped me to cope compared to the past.

1.) I read that it takes about half the time of the relationship to cope or recover. So for me I'm thinking three and a half weeks I'm almost there.

2.) Prayer and accountability. From the beginning of dating everyone was covering it with prayer and also after.

3.) Accidentally signed up with an online dating site, long story, but there have been guys who have just been there to encourage me in my walk and faith with no intentions beyond.

4.) I've immediately surrounded myself with my girlfriends for fellowship. And keeping myself connected.
5.) Keeping up with my garden and yard also has been very relaxing.
6.) I had a mini retreat a week ago 40-60 ft in the air on a perch overlooking the Galien River. I spent almost two hours reading the book of Proverbs.

7.) I've kept a notebook nearby to write down things that I had heard from the Lord. I took 12 days before and after the breakup to just listen to the Lord. No music in the morning as I got ready for work.

8.)I'm keeping myself healthy with my running and nutrition and water intake. I've been traveling and planning places for special runs. I've had a few where somebody joins me also. Just basically living on life and I've posted on social media to continue some kind of normal without any indication of what has happened.

9.) All the things we talked about for the future I basically found a way to do those things or will be doing those things with friends. Also I haven't let what happened limit me, and I just did a challenging incline run in the area of the where the guy lives 45 minutes from me. I will also be camping there next Saturday with a friend. 8 years ago we had camped there and we are looking forward to the fellowship and something we both have been wanting to do for a long time. That's an example of something the guy I went on dates with was talking about doing with me.

10.) Covering everything in prayer and little by little having a reset in my relationship with the Lord. Also confessing any sin that took place during that time. For me it was idolatry and my work ethic declined. He drew me more away from the Lord then towards. So I am returning to my first love, Jesus.

11.) Others that have prayed for me and been there this whole time have been speaking truth and wisdom into my life. it's been amazing and a much better break up then I have experienced in much of my past.

12.)I told the person that broke up with me from the beginning if we were not a long-term match that we would always be good friends. And at the break of I told him the same thing but I have distanced myself. I believe time will heal and I will be okay hopefully in a better place to encourage and pray for him and his future (relationship with the Lord and possibly a suitable helpmate). Right now I cannot pray for him and I have just let my friends pray for him.

13.) as far as crying the most useful information I got from a longtime friend and sister in Christ was to cry it out for 2 to 3 minutes max and move on. so it's been in short increments. I also have to watch my health since I have a compromised immune system that I will go into a deep sickness if I cry too much. It happened in 2012 when a guy chose another girl that had been interested in me, but our schedules conflicted that I couldn't let him pursue.

15.) This is definitely not something God honoring but I am watching a very worldly TV series that is from 2009 possibly. Part of it is trying to understand what privileged life is like. I got the DVDs from the library and also got some books. It's two part in growing in my knowledge of some things and also understanding the person that I was dating before. It's been a bit of a stress relief since I only watch movies maybe four times a year and I don't watch TV. for those who watch TV all the time I wouldn't recommend this but trying to explore something new that is different and helps you to learn.

16.) I'm also focusing on house & yard projects that maybe have fallen behind because of the time that a relationship takes.

Anyways I know that is long but I hope that there is a sliver of useful information that may be helpful to someone reading this. I'm really not there yet in letting go, but I trust that it will happen as each morning I wake up I've been stronger in Jesus.
That, my dear friend, is what everyone should be doing through a breakup.

There should always be coping skills through it all. After my first serious relationship, we knew it was coming to an end. We talked from a logical viewpoint of why it needed to end before it did. I was able to kind of prepare myself before the breakup happened with a lot of coping skills to put in place so I could move forward at a healthy pace.

Many people try to rush through the pain. They want a quick fix. But, sometimes, pain takes some time to heal. Lots of Jesus, lots of support, and a lot of self-love needs to put in place to help with the pain. It doesn't make it quick, but it makes it somewhat bearable.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That, my dear friend, is what everyone should be doing through a breakup.

There should always be coping skills through it all. After my first serious relationship, we knew it was coming to an end. We talked from a logical viewpoint of why it needed to end before it did. I was able to kind of prepare myself before the breakup happened with a lot of coping skills to put in place so I could move forward at a healthy pace.

Many people try to rush through the pain. They want a quick fix. But, sometimes, pain takes some time to heal. Lots of Jesus, lots of support, and a lot of self-love needs to put in place to help with the pain. It doesn't make it quick, but it makes it somewhat bearable.
Everything you said is so true! there are no quick fixes and many people jump from relationship to relationship because it seems to feel right and they don't have to think about or process what has happened. there's good and bad that we can learn from each relationship. Things to take and thanks to leave into the next relationship. And of course, making sure we still have our eyes fixed on Jesus and not what the world says.
Unfortunately for myself I had to create my own closure since we never got to discuss reasons why we weren't a good long term match. At least he didn't ghost me and gave me a forthright text that he found someone else. We are still in touch through social media and he's been made a couple comments lately, we aren't texting each other, and unfollowed him. I'm thinking maybe for the next 3 months. I'm giving him his space. And hopefully after I process this I can be totally released and okay with friendship/brotherly encouragement and God's will for his future relationship/spouse.

Upvote 0