Breaking strongholds and such...

JJB

Dec 28, 2004
✟4,433.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
After hanging up the phone with a good friend last night, I was curious as to some of the terms she was using after she had been to a Cleansing Streams Ministries retreat on Saturday. The terms: breaking strongholds, being set free from soul ties (or was it bonds?), generational curses.

So I went to Cleansing Streams ministries website I saw one name I recognized, Jack Hayford -- isn't he part of the Word Faith movement or something, is what first popped into my head. In trying to gain a better understanding of the things she was talking about this question came to my mind:

If we are Christians, were we not set free from spiritual bondage by Christ's atoning work on the cross?

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
JJB said:
After hanging up the phone with a good friend last night, I was curious as to some of the terms she was using after she had been to a Cleansing Streams Ministries retreat on Saturday. The terms: breaking strongholds, being set free from soul ties (or was it bonds?), generational curses.

So I went to Cleansing Streams ministries website I saw one name I recognized, Jack Hayford -- isn't he part of the Word Faith movement or something, is what first popped into my head. In trying to gain a better understanding of the things she was talking about this question came to my mind:

If we are Christians, were we not set free from spiritual bondage by Christ's atoning work on the cross?

Jack Hayford is somewhat "associated" to Word of Faith but he do not believe in everything that Word of Faith teaches. Let's say Jack is guilty by "association".

Jack Hayford is a president of a denomination called "The Foursquare Church" which is Pentecostal and Charismatic. Other than that, I don't know much about his specific teachings. I may have read one of his books but I don't remember if I did. If I did remember, the book made an impression in my mind.

Upvote 0

JJB

Dec 28, 2004
✟4,433.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Jim,

Thanks foryour reply. I was hoping you would see this because you have a lot of knowledge about the WoF movement and its false teachings.

After doing more research over the weekend, Cleansing Streams Ministries does indeed imply through it's teachings that the work of Christ is not enough. That the work of Christ on the cross cleansed our spirit only, the soul and body need more to complete salvation.

There are some teaching similarites to the WoF movement within this so-called ministry.

It saddens me to see such a good friend caught up in this nonsense.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would stay away from Word of Faith doctrines even anyone who is closely associated with WoF. Some Pentecostal and Charismatic doctrines are okay but I still disagree with some of their spiritual gifts doctrines. They tend to be emotional and getting confused the emotions are part of being "spirit-filled" which is NOT.

I will have to look into "Stronghold" doctrines and books as part of my new project down the road (adding this to the list) :D :doh:

Upvote 0

JJB

Dec 28, 2004
✟4,433.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Just what you needed, huh, Jim? hehehe

That's how I felt after talking with this friend. I don't want to confront her, but feel I must be prepared with an answer for her in our next conversation. We've been friends for so loooong (since Jr. High -- when it was still called Jr. High) that we can talk about everything and anything.

Wisdom and discernment seems to be a constantly in my prayers lately.

Upvote 0