BREAKING: internet oracles were right, new Motu Proprio undoes Summorum Pontificum

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Haha
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Fr. Appletree

Priest of The Society of St. Pius V
Jun 24, 2021
Williamsburg
✟11,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Interesting because I've always believed that the Ordinariate Mass is what the original concept of a vernacular Mass was supposed to be.

I certainly understand how you feel, but it also seems like it could be an inevitability. If a Latin Mass in a given diocese disappears but there happens to be an Ordinariate parish, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if all the parishioners showed up on the Ordinariate's doorstep rather than roll over and go to a Novus Ordo.

True, I doubt those rules will change anytime soon—if ever—either, but unless new rules come out restricting who can attend an Ordinariate (say, Bishop Lopes comes out and says something or the Vatican does) then I don't think it'll change who shows up for Mass, they'll just register at a diocesan parish but attend an Ordinariate one. In theory.

Wait there are Ordinariate parishes that celebrate the Sarum Use?! I've been wondering that for ages, everything I'd read said it was either "extinct" or "defunct" ... if it's still in use anywhere that is freakin' amazing.

To your point out, that's my fear that despite being separate in so many ways, I feel like the motu proprio is just vague enough that it could be expanded to include them if the Vatican decides they're too much of an inconvenience re: trads.

Yes. And even the Eastern Orthodox also still use the Sarum Use in their Western Rite. I saw them do it in Florida once, I went out of historical curiosity.

Hauntingly beautiful.

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Fr. Appletree

Priest of The Society of St. Pius V
Jun 24, 2021
Williamsburg
✟11,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
There are many rites of the Church and historically hundreds more. But they all aim at doing the same sets of things. They all orient the people to God in the proper way and create a space by which the grace of God is more condensed and able to fill his people.

The novus ordo doesn't, not consistently anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic