Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Msgr. Gigantiello graduated from the Culinary Institute of America in New York, and worked as a professional chef for 10 years before entering the seminary.

An ardent priest and a passionate cook, Monsignor Jamie Gigantiello has made, and is making, a giant impact on his local community and parishioners at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Brooklyn. For one, he cooks for parish events, especially for the annual observance of Our Lady. For this cheerful day, the parish hosts a large feast and parishioners carry a giant statue of Our Lady through the local streets, an event that started about 10 years ago.

But for another, Msgr. Gigantiello, a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America (CIA) in New York, and a professional chef for 10 years, takes his culinary message to the world — he not only celebrates his faith but also the glories of the food world with his show Breaking Bread on NET TV.

For each episode, he travels from local restaurant to local kitchen to interview chefs and highlight their menu, traveling around with a co-host and a camera crews. Not surprisingly, he admits, Italian cooking is really his favorite cuisine, but he also embraces every cooking style. As he noted on a website interview, “We're not really critiquing the restaurants… It's conversation.” He noted that until the pandemic is over, he does cooking shows three to four times a week from his kitchen.

Born in Long Island City to a devout Catholic family, Msgr. Gigantiello attended a Catholic grammar school and volunteered as an altar server at his local parish. In high school, he started working part time for a caterer and one of his brothers was an administrator at the CIA. Cooking was certainly a strong passion for his family members, he said. “All in the family cooked and I started baking cakes when I was 11 years old,” he said. “I had thought of becoming a priest many years back, but after high school graduation, I attended the CIA.”

Continued below.
Breaking Bread with Brooklyn’s Msgr. Jamie Gigantiello

Reactions: pdudgeon