Breaking Bread Together

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
Breaking Bread Together

If you have not yet read the Our Daily Bread post I would like to suggest you do so before trying to digest this one. As it will help bring you more understanding and insight into what this one is all about.

As mentioned in the other post this one would touch more on how we should come together in order to study Gods Word, Breaking Bread with one another so to speak. So let's take a look at some more scriptures and see what they have to say.

1 Corinthians 11:18-19
For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that divisions exist among you; and I partly believe it. For there must be also factions among you, that they that are approved may be made manifest among you.

It seems to me that we are trying to come together here as one body to study Gods Word, and Break Bread with one another. We are also already starting to see a division amongst ourselves, much like the previous scripture describes. And it seems there is a reason for this. but If we allow this to continue, we will not get very far as you can see by the following scriptures, This only makes it impossible for us to break bread with one another in a manner that we should be doing.

1 Corinthians 11:20-22
When therefore ye assemble yourselves together, it is not possible to eat the Lord's supper: for in your eating each one taketh before other his own supper; and one is hungry, and another is drunken. What, have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and put them to shame that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you? In this I praise you not.

I think the previous scripture helps show that we should read and study Gods Word at home, not just simply when we gather together. When we study Gods Word we are eating the Bread of Life, and drinking from Christs Spirit. Whether we eat on our own, as we should already be doing. Or together there's a certain way we must go about it.

1 Corinthians 11:23-24
For I received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which he was betrayed took bread; and when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, This is my body, which is for you: this do in remembrance of me.

Notice Jesus gave thanks before he broke the bread, as so should we give thanks to God as we open our Bibles to study His Word which Is the Bread of life. We must remember the suffering Jesus went through for us, and be thankful for it.

1 Corinthians 11:25
In like manner also the cup, after supper, saying, This cup is the new covenant in my blood: this do, as often as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

We are only able to drink of the Holy Spirit because Christ shed His blood for us, It is the Holy Spirit that brings us understanding into the Word of God. We must remember this also as we study His Word. While seeking our own forgiveness. For it is Christs blood that covers our sins.

1 Corinthians 11:26-27
For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink the cup, ye proclaim the Lord's death till he come. Wherefore whosoever shall eat the bread or drink the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord.

If we are breaking bread without thanksgiving, or the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and without first examining our own hearts, seeking forgiveness of our sins. Then chances are we only serve to allow ourselves to become misguided in our teachings.

1 Corinthians 11:28
But let a man prove himself, and so let him eat of the bread, and drink of the cup. For he that eateth and drinketh, eateth and drinketh judgment unto himself, if he discern not the body. For this cause many among you are weak and sickly, and not a few sleep.

We can become weak, and sick in the Spirit, we can also sleep in the Spirit. This is what happens when we fail to come before the Lord the way we should. And we come before the Lord every time we read and study the Word of God.

1 Corinthians 11:31-32
But if we discerned ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.

We must learn to discern the Word of God for ourselves, not by what someone else teaches, but by the teaching of the Holy Spirit. We must also learn to examine and judge our own hearts, instead of the hearts of others.

1 Corinthians 11:33-34
Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, wait one for another. If any man is hungry, let him eat at home; that your coming together be not unto judgment. And the rest will I set in order whensoever I come.

Once again the importance of the study of Gods Word at home. Without each of us having the guidance of the Holy Spirit and learning from it while we break bread together, and at home. We will only be led into much confusion and judgment.

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
Thanks Gerry,
There's much to be said for taking communion, and that's just what this is. Whenever we come before God in prayer, worship, the study of His Word. We commune with Him, through the Holy Spirit. If we aren't doing this in the right way we are only working to bring judgement upon ourselves.

Upvote 0

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
Thanks Bruno! It's not me that's amazing but it is God, and the workings of the Holy Spirit that's amazing.

We all have the same access to the knowledge of Christ, We may be used in different ways by Him, but we all can receive the same teachings through the Spirit while we study Gods Word.

1 John 2:24-27
As for you, let that abide in you which ye heard from the beginning. If that which ye heard from the beginning abide in you, ye also shall abide in the Son, and in the Father. And this is the promise which he promised us, even the life eternal. These things have I written unto you concerning them that would lead you astray. And as for you, the anointing which ye received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any one teach you; but as his anointing teacheth you; concerning all things, and is true, and is no lie, and even as it taught you, ye abide in him.

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
I understand Bruno and agree with Him. And you are right about the Amazing Holy Spirit. No matter how long you watch Him work and experience Him, He simply becomes more amazing every day. His work is not something that grows old or becomes boring, it is rather fresh and exciting to see. He is so many things to us, but the awesome thing is HE, and HE alone is our Teacher, and we need no other.

Upvote 0

Serving4Christ

Humble Servant
Jan 28, 2003
Colorado Springs
Visit site
✟564.00
Faith
Christian
I enjoyed reading your post above GraftMein.  Thank you for the insight. 

About 4 years ago when I was deployed to Thumrait, OMAN, I broke bread with my bible study partner which was a seminary graduate (waiting to serve his time in the military and then get out).  We did this on a routine basis when we came together to pray and fellowship.  I felt at the time that God had brought us together.

For me, it was the most sacred moment.  Not for my own edification but rather a sense of being drawn closer to God...through Communion in remembrance of the price that was paid for me.    

Our Bible studies were powerful and convicting; enough to cause one to examine his own heart.  Prayer was always intense and never rushed prior to cimmunion.

My heart was with God, examining my own heart, and remembering the Lamb that paid the ultimate price.  Does this qualify as taking communion the correct way according to the scriptures you quoted?  

Your Thoughts, 

Upvote 0

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
Originally posted by Serving4Christ

My heart was with God, examining my own heart, and remembering the Lamb that paid the ultimate price.  Does this qualify as taking communion the correct way according to the scriptures you quoted?  

Your Thoughts, 

Thanks Serving4Christ! Yes, your above comment pretty much sums it up :) everytime we pray, or study Gods word seeking guidance we are communing with Him through the Holy Spirit. You're above comment is just how we should go about these things each time we do them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
Lambslove, That sounds like a nice idea, but the type of communion I'm speaking of here comes from the heart. And has to do with our communion with God The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit. It has little to do with eating actual bread, and drinking real wine. That's just an outward appearance. We must look to those things that can't be seen with the eye.

When we study Gods Word together we are Breaking Bread with one another, And drinking from His Spirit.

Upvote 0

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
Originally posted by lambslove
I understand that, but I would like to have an online communion with bread and wine (or juice) as well. Anyone up for that?

Some of have already started breaking bread together in the form of a Bible study here. You're free to join us if you would like to do so.

You might have better luck getting others to join you for the type of communion you wish to have by starting a new thread inviting others to join you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by GraftMeIn
True Lambslove some people do do that.

And some of us simply share with our brothers and sisters in Christ what God has placed on our hearts to share with them. Those very things that only serve to help others grow closer to God while growing stronger in the Spirit as well.

Then why shut off dissenters? How can people grow in an environment that only allows agreement, and never questions or dissention?

Upvote 0

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
Originally posted by lambslove
Then why shut off dissenters? How can people grow in an environment that only allows agreement, and never questions or dissention?

You might find the answer to that question in what was in the original topic of this thread I'll post that part again.

1 Corinthians 11:18-19
For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that divisions exist among you; and I partly believe it. For there must be also factions among you, that they that are approved may be made manifest among you.

It seems to me that we are trying to come together here as one body to study Gods Word, and Break Bread with one another. We are also already starting to see a division amongst ourselves, much like the previous scripture describes. And it seems there is a reason for this. but If we allow this to continue, we will not get very far as you can see by the following scriptures, This only makes it impossible for us to break bread with one another in a manner that we should be doing.

1 Corinthians 11:20-22
When therefore ye assemble yourselves together, it is not possible to eat the Lord's supper: for in your eating each one taketh before other his own supper; and one is hungry, and another is drunken. What, have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and put them to shame that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you? In this I praise you not. 

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00

Amen! Well said!

Upvote 0