• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Breaking a promise to God

itsJoseph

Feb 9, 2017
New York
✟16,707.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hey guys,

I tend to babble on, so I will try to make this quick and concise. For a couple years I have used Vicodin. I did not necessarily abuse it like you see on TV. I took 1 Vicodin per night. At times I would even go a week without having any because I either could care less to, or felt I should take a break from it. I do this because it helps me sleep, and actually helps me focus on tasks and gain interest in things. It doesn't really sedate me or make me loopy like it appears it does for most people.

Anyways, I had an obstacle approach me late last year, and I quickly prayed to God to help send guidance for me to resolve the issue. It appears the prayer was answered fairly quick. The thing is, due to guilt, I decided to offer up my usage of Vicodin in exchange of this prayer being answered. I then happily gave up my usage of Vicodin. It is a little less than a year later and I really miss the late night relaxation and ease of anxiety Vicodin brought me. I fear my temptations of breaking this promise, and I have prayed many times for these temptations to fade, but they come around very frequently.

Part of me wishes I never made the promise. Not because I want to use Vicodin, but because I don't want to break a promise to God. It is also hard for me to determine if God answered due to the vow I made, or if he was going to help me regardless of my promise? I know God is forgiving, but I don't want to break my promise simply because I know God will forgive me... I feel in that case I wouldn't deserve forgiveness. Lesson I have learned now is to not make promises to God so quickly and irrationally... However I am still stuck with my current predicament.

I don't think for a second anyone on here is honestly going to say "Yeah dude, it's all good go ahead and do it." but I really want to find some sort of comfort and understanding that I just cannot see right now.

I still have not broken my promise, and I may not for a long time. However, I find it hard pressed that I will keep this promise forever.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is a little less than a year later and I really miss the late night relaxation and ease of anxiety Vicodin brought me

Then you are a druggie? right? I mean that sounds like the reason most take drugs, to feel good.

OK, now that I've made the impact, let me say I'm far from on my high horse here. I take a fair share of tramadol but for a real condition, however, it tends over into the area you mention, for relaxation. I can only speak for myself, when I say I think that's wrong and my intentions are to stop, if I can. It at least bothers me

I may or may not have any room to talk, but this isn't really about me, just know I'm not judging by anymeans. That said, my suggestion to you, keep your word form two reasons, 1) you should keep your word. 2) it doesn't sound like you have a legit reason and in fact, though mild, you are doing drugs.

I've done it all in the past so, I get it, that's why I tried my best not to come off judgmental, and hope I have not,, but if you ask me, that would be my honest advice.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟287,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
However, I find it hard pressed that I will keep this promise forever.

Vicodin is highly addictive, and addictions are progressive in nature. You are better off keeping your promise and deliberately finding other positive non chemical (preferrably spiritual) coping mechanisms for relaxing at the end of the day. One suggestion would be to take an inventory at the end of the day. Do a little journaling and review all the interactions you had during the day with other people. Spend a little time to remember them and give thanks where they were positive. Note where you did positive things, ask for help where things were negative. Doing this can be a source of gratitude and positive improvement, spiritual connection. It's like asking God to help you observe the day that has just past with appreciation and constructive criticism. You'll be amazed at what you remember and how full your day really was, and you get to keep those memories if you journal them. Ask to be of use and sober and clean for the next day. Then, sleep soundly.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Praying The Most Holy Rosary regardless of any denomination breaks all addictions and conditions by Jesus God The Holy Spirit and through my Heavenly Mother Mary - every addiction - family friends extended friends of families, acquaintances, anyone whom has an addiction or condition - should for their own good - pray The Most Holy Rosary and/or Jesus Holy Wound Chaplet of which does not have The Catholic Creed or any Denominational words in it.

Just search for The Holy Wound Chaplet - Saint Sister Marie Chambon - Jesus delivered it to Saint Chambon in the early 1900s and i am posting it on CF quite a bit from my own relationship in Jesus God and Holy Spirit and Mother Mary with so many Holy Miracles for others after praying for them and others praying for themselves.

All i can say is that anyone whom prays either The Most Holy Rosary or Jesus Holy Wound Chaplet or Jesus Divine Mercy Chaplet can expect to have their whole lives changed if they love, trust and repent sins to Jesus from hearts open to Him.

• Prayers
Upvote 0