Avila

Boohoo moomoo, cebu
Feb 6, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟2,479.00
Faith
Catholic
At breakfast today, it was sooo cute!!  Tommy had just reminded me to pray, so we did.  He said, "May-min!" (Amen, in adult-speak).  Then, instead of his normal, "Tank-oo, Deezus!" (Thank you, Jesus) He started calling out, "Deezus, Deezus!!!  Meh-wee!" (Jesus, Jesus, Mary) like he does when he is calling his Daddy into his bedroom for night-night kisses.  It was just so precious that I had to share. 

I'm thinking that maybe if I taught him a simple little prayer, he might take to it?  Something that is less than 5 words?  He is starting to say 2-3 work sentences now.  Of course, I don't know if a prayer could top this morning's show... :)

dignitized

Aug 5, 2005
✟29,618.00
Avi: I'm glad that other kids do stuff like that too.

When ever my nephew Eli comes to visit ( he'll be 2 in Jan) he has to go with me to the chapel so he can see g-ZUUUUUUUUS. :) he likes to blow kisses to the tabernacle :) Gotta love the faith of kids.

Teach him to pray as soon as you can :) its never too young to start. :)

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I never consciously taught my kids any prayers. They just learned by hearing me or their father say them. My 2yr old (almost 3) just started repeating the prayer along with whoever was saying it at the table, the parts he could pronounce anyway. :) When he first started trying to say it himself he could only get out, "Peas, Dod, bess us." It was so sweet. Now the baby, who is 1yr, has started folding his hands and bowing his head as soon as I put him in his highchair. Then he babbles a bit, and then he looks up expectantly, waiting for his plate. :D

Anyway, it has been my experience that kids learn best by repetition. And I don't necessarily mean saying the same prayer every time, but just praying consistently. :pray:

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We usually hold hands and say the traditional table grace at meals, and Noah whispers along in his baby-gibberish with a smile on his face. He hasn't figured out exactly what it's all about yet, but he knows it's something special. Mommy and I make the Sign of the Cross over him, and he looks from one to the other of us and just sort of beams.

So far, his repetoire is up to six words: "Hi", "Mama", "baoow" ("ball"), "no", "duck" (any and every bird from a chipping sparrow to an ostrich), and "gaw-gee" ("doggie"). It's too cute to watch him absorb and process things. :)

Now if I could just get him to quit throwing food. :sigh:

Upvote 0

jukesk9

Dixie Whistlin' Papist
Feb 7, 2002
Arkansas
Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Stories about kids and faith are awesome!  Thanks for sharing Avila and everyone.  Praying with my 4 year old is something I cherish.  I guess I started praying with him when he was 2 (right when he started to try a use sentences).  He started religious education this fall and it's pretty awesome to see some of the work he's done in class and to hear him tell all about it.  He's learning the Ten Commandments, which they call God's Rules.  And I learned, from him, that I shouldn't say, "For the love of God and all that's holy" anymore when I get a little upset because that's saying God's name in a bad way.  It took a 4 year old to convince me that I need to stop saying that.  The Lord works in mysterious ways.  Oh, and one last thing.  I get corrected when we say prayers---it's A-men, not Ah-men.  Old habits die hard.

Upvote 0
These stories were so wonderful, took me back to the days when my sons were little, they are now 29 and 24,but still my babies. 

Children are one of our greatest gifts from God. He gives us these wonderful little bundles, to love ,nurture,guide,teach,and enjoy, but they are just on loan, until God wants them back.

So cherish each moment, and keep lots of memories, as those keep forever. And there may be days that become really exhausting and stressful,,especially, once they beome "teenagers",but parenting is still an awesome experience.

Peace and Love

Lady Grace 

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
In these stories, you young parents are just getting a glimpse of what is possible for your child.  For a theoretical basis for what I am going to say, take a look at "The Lost Tools of Learning" by Dorothy Sayers: http://www.gbt.org/text/sayers.html.

Suppose it were possible  day by day, in the easiest and most pleasant manner, to load your children with prayers, psalms, bible verses, wise sayings and much more besides, wouldn't you want to do that?  Essentially we adapted Sayers ideas to our catechetical approach and had wonderful results.  We adults tend to think of learning as onerous, but young children do not.  They *love it*!

We followed this approach, and by the time my daughter Stephanie was ready to enter first grade she knew the Our Father, the Hail Mary, the Glory be in English and in Latin.  She knew the ten commandments, the six precepts of the Church and much more besides.  She had listened in as we instructed her older brother David for his First Communion from the Baltimore Catechism, and she knew by heart 28 questions and answers about the Mass, and much, much more.

At one point I was making up a prayer book of psalms for us to use in our night prayers and the kids were learning about one psalm by heart every two weeks.  The only reason the children don't know the whole psalter is that I ran out of steam.  Talk about feeding an insatiable maw!

An example. When the kids were about 6 and 4 respectively St. Patrick's day rolled around.  I was sick to death of the effort to turn this Catholic feast into "Irish Day" so I printed out a thirty six line version of the Shield of St. Patrick, plastered a shamrock on it, and put copies all over the apartment complex.  Then the bright idea occurred to me that maybe we could use this for a night prayer for a few days, which we did. "I bind me today God's might to direct me, God's power to protect me, " etc., etc. etc. for 36 lines.

When I was about to put this aside, both David and Stephanie said to me, "Hey Dad, could we memorize this?!"

Do see what had happened? The love of learning and the desire for God had taken root in their hearts.  Moreover, they were proud of their accomplishments and wanted to augment them.  We did memorize that prayer, and it became our night prayer for about 14 yrs!

To this (and the grace of God, and the lives of the saints that we read over the years) I attribute the fact we never had any problems of rebellion in their teen age years, that they both got scholarships (Stephanie was a National Merit Finalist and an almost straight A student throughout her schooling), and that today they are both daily communicants, and prayerful, fun to be with, a balanced and virtuous young man and woman, graduates from the University of Dallas in philosophy. Stephanie at 22 is now teaching in her former high school, David is a numerary with Opus Dei.

What am I saying? Put as much of your time and effort and money and ingenuity on the front end as you can.  College will take care of itself. In fact, many things will take care of themselves.  Load them down with as much learning, prayer and wisdom as they can absorb, and they can absorb a lot, but do it with a light touch.  You and they will have a blast in the process, believe me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.