Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Or enthusiastic support of torture and mass murder. And let’s not forget his support for making ethnic minorities disappear. Yep the sides have polarised in Brazil to the far left and right but given what Bolsonaro has vocally supported unless you are a Nazi you should not support him.

A plague on both houses, left and right.

Pretty sure that he was decidedly 2nd place until the opposition decided to try and knife him.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thats very dramatic of you.
America was a Christian country once

lol, k. Was that when we were burning witches, massacring natives, or enslaving blacks?

we had democracy

We still do - at least as much as we ever had.

we had a free press.

The press is probably freer now than at just about any time in the past.

With Bolsonaro's stabbing we saw how well the current political system deals with opposition...

He lived, right? I guess they didn't deal with opposition as strongly as they'd like.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,141,165.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Pretty sure that he was decidedly 2nd place until the opposition decided to try and knife him.
What the WHOLE opposition? We’re they getting in line? Must have been a REALLY big Handle!

Divisive figures attract the crazies, and given his vocal and enthusiastic support for the murderous military regimes of the past, his big criticism being that they did not kill more people, are we surprised he attracts violence?

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
He showed up in an evangelical church, on hes knees, later or before saying that 'i'm not as capable as others, but God capacites who he chooses etc.etc.' I like that, i doubt he is going to mass murder people, my god where you get that info, just because he is from the right doesn't mean he is all the bad media and people tries to portait him he is.
Again if he does actually something wrong, i will not defend him even a bit.

Scoundrels often hide behind piety.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟816,690.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Brazil election 2018: far-right candidate Jair Bolsonaro to become next president – live

So In the second round Brazil has chosen a candidate who has promised to criminalise all opposition to his rule, open the Amazon rainforest fully to commercial logging, make all amazon tribes vanish(read murdered), all with the support of evangelical Christianity.

Brasils new president appears to ride a tide of younger voters fed up with the corruption and incompetence of left wing administrations. Being opposed to same sex marriage and abortion obviously does not win him any points with the Guardian but since when have they had a clue on the morality of these issues. His agenda reads like a business friendly Brasil first. He may well grow the economy. I hope that he shows some wisdom in how he allows agribusinesses into the Amazon as that has implications for all of us. It is possible to limit deforestation and still utilise the land as in Germany for instance where deforestation has been reversed. The interests of Indian tribes sprawling over vast tracts of unused land by contrast to that of Brasil as a whole are not so clear. Maybe Brasil should come first. Of course the tribespeople should be adequately compensated but change comes to us all. He talks a good talk regarding Christianity but that he is on his third marriage says something different. He is not a perfect man but it seems clear he was better than the alternatives in the eyes of most Brasilians.

Upvote 0

jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
lol, k. Was that when we were burning witches, massacring natives, or enslaving blacks?

We still do - at least as much as we ever had.

The press is probably freer now than at just about any time in the past.

He lived, right? I guess they didn't deal with opposition as strongly as they'd like.

That burning witches comment. That was only in Scotland, and not America.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
That burning witches comment. That was only in Scotland, and not America.
That's right. We hanged witches. Or crushed them to death. Or starved them to death in prison. No, all the people we burnt at the stake here in America were slaves.

Upvote 0

jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That's right. We hanged witches. Or crushed them to death. Or starved them to death in prison. No, all the people we burnt at the stake here in America were slaves.

Actually Native Americans used death by burning more than the white settlers.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Actually Native Americans used death by burning more than the white settlers.
And Christians had been burning people at the stake for heresy for centuries in Europe. What does that have to do with things that we Americans have done? Does whataboutism make us burning slaves alive better?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,141,165.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Of course, nowadays "far right" means "anyone to the right of Joseph Stalin."

As far as I can tell, Bolsonaro was elected because the citizens of Brazil want to do something about crime, drugs, corruption, and a weak economy.

What has he actually done to deserve the "far right" tag?
Apart from being a vocal supporter of the military dictatorship. Wholeheartedly endorsing torture and murder. Wishing that particular ethnic groups would 'disappear' do I need to go on?

And folks if the candidate you elect supports torture and murder he is by definition not the law and order candidate, he is the exact opposite.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Apart from being a vocal supporter of the military dictatorship.

What does "vocal supporter" mean? Apparently he said about the 1964-1985 military regime, "At the time of the military regime, the economy grew 6 percent a year, you could buy a car in 36 months. Today, the country barely grows by 1 percent a year. Inflation is intolerable." Isn't that true?

Wholeheartedly endorsing torture and murder. Wishing that particular ethnic groups would 'disappear' do I need to go on?

And is there evidence that he did those things (other than media affiliated with the other side of politics)?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Evangelical Christianity is a minority faith in Brazil.

Have you got recent data on this? I've only seen 2010 data, and things were in flux then:

PF_13.07.15_BrazilReligiousLandscape_1.png

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,141,165.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
What does "vocal supporter" mean? Apparently he said about the 1964-1985 military regime, "At the time of the military regime, the economy grew 6 percent a year, you could buy a car in 36 months. Today, the country barely grows by 1 percent a year. Inflation is intolerable." Isn't that true?

And is there evidence that he did those things (other than media affiliated with the other side of politics)?
“The dictatorship’s mistake was to torture but not kill,“
At a rally he called for the murder of all workers party supporters.
“We are going to gun down all these Workers Party supporters,”
His vocal loathing of the rule of law is readily apparent in what he is on record as saying.
Jair Bolsonaro - Wikiquote

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trumpism is not just a U.S. disease. The Brexit was England's version.

I'm not sure if Brexit quite fits, the people I think have a legitimate argument are small business owners, feeling they are being crowded out by multi-nationals. From another thread that seems to be a problem across Europe. Politically, it does seem to be supported by a small number of ideologues and the people who are easily manipulated by them, but that isn't the whole story.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
At a rally he called for the murder of all workers party supporters.
“We are going to gun down all these Workers Party supporters”

Actually, he didn't "call for the murder of all workers party supporters." As I understand it, he did some play-acting with a camera tripod.

AFAIK it was a joke rather than an actual policy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,141,165.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Actually, he didn't "call for the murder of all workers party supporters." As I understand it, he did some play-acting with a camera tripod.
Whilst stating “We are going to gun down all these Workers Party supporters”

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Have you got recent data on this? I've only seen 2010 data, and things were in flux then:

PF_13.07.15_BrazilReligiousLandscape_1.png
I was looking at those same numbers. It is highly unlikely that the numbers are going to flip so much in 8 years that my statement would be untrue, I would need to see a more recent scientific poll that demonstrates otherwise to believe otherwise.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was looking at those same numbers. It is highly unlikely that the numbers are going to flip so much in 8 years that my statement would be untrue, I would need to see a more recent scientific poll that demonstrates otherwise to believe otherwise.

Extrapolating the data given, Catholic numbers would be between 40% and 60% today, and Protestant numbers between 25% and 40%. We probably won't know till the 2020 census.

Upvote 0