Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
any of your kid have braces?

looks like there's all kind of different methods now
each orthodontist in our area has different methods

any one use the Damon method?
is one kind of braces better than another?

thanks in advance for any info!

Allow me to make a suggestion.

Make sure you pick the right Orthodontist, avoid the places that look like assembly lines. If there is a room lined with a bunch of chairs and the doctor hops between patients, it is likely that your child will not get the best care. The best orthodontists treat each patient individually, and provide their full attention to the treatment of your child's teeth. 9/10 of the assembly line places will view your kids as quick money, and will largely not care about their individual needs.

Take this from my personal experience. My parents sent me to an assembly line style orthodontist (7-8 years ago), and my teeth are now ruined forever. The doctor also mocked me in front of other patients in the assembly line, and caused me to develop a fear of dentists that I never use to have, and still am working to overcome.

Upvote 0

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My kids both finished their braces in the last year. They had the normal ones, same as I had a few decades ago. The only other kind I know of is invisiline. Never heard of the other you mentioned.

Regarding GoingByzintine's post, I agree with her that a smaller, more personal shop is better. My kids used to go to an assembly line dentist, and an assembly line orthodontist for their first set of orthodontal work (not full braces, just prep work a few years before the full braces so that the full set wouldn't take as long). Insurance changed, and we had to go with a smaller practice for their full braces set. Much, much better experience.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Useful
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Going Byzantine, what do you mean by your teeth are ruined? Did they not end up straight? Were they damaged?

I had good luck with mine as a kid. Two of my kids have model teeth... perfectly straight, never had a cavity, no "bite" issues. The other two make the dentists cringe. They had crooked baby teeth, which is pretty uncommon, and the permanent set just got worse. Too young for braces, but we've had a few consults. My main concern is cost, and whether the orthodontist removes teeth. I don't like the idea of removing teeth. It never looks right. Each tooth is different, so it doesn't look right if some are missing. They look out of order. Unless you remove the very back ones, maybe. But then you lose function. I'll shop for an orthodontist who will make them fit! Even if they're in braces for years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Are you sure it's too late? I consulted with an orthodontist as early as 5 for one of my kids, and they determined it was too early for that kind of treatment, but did remove some baby teeth prematurely for my 8 year old to make room. Of course every case is different. But just because you put off the consult that was recommended by age 7 doesn't necessarily mean you missed the window.

I have an adult friend who had the jaw expansion in her 30s, and though this was admittedly not the ideal window, it was effective for her and she has a beautiful straight smile without having had to remove teeth because of her small jaw.

• Informative
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you sure it's too late?

we went to two orthodontists for consults
both were recommended to us by more than one person

thought about going for third consult as just wasn't sure
instead I went back to one with a list of questions and do feel confident now

thanks for you input!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's very informative. In her case, I assume that yes, all her teeth came in because she was in her 30s, but they were not straight. She had the orthodontic work done later in life to straighten the teeth. It was not an option for her family when she was young, but it was apparently a priority for her when she had the means to pursue it herself. I have no idea what the cost of this work would be (for an adult or a child).

If there was some problem with the teeth that prevented them from erupting, then I guess you'd just have to have them removed. What's the alternative? Implants for teeth that won't fit anyway? That seems unnecessary. I was really talking about removing healthy teeth simply because they didn't fit in a straight smile. More commonly, all the adult teeth make an appearance, but there is not room for them to "single file" and so they are crowded and look crooked. If you can only expand the top row, that would be enough for cosmetics (few people reveal much of their bottom teeth when they smile). I wonder if bottom teeth frequently have to be removed for reasons of crowding. I mean, bottom teeth are much smaller. So you'd think it'd mainly be an issue for the top anyway.

I don't know. The subject of removing permanent teeth has not come up for my children yet, so I haven't looked into it. If it does, I'll probably seek a second opinion, but probably not a third or a fourth. Unless both were very young and inexperienced orthodontists, or otherwise had a reputation for butchering their patients' smiles! I had large teeth and one of the most crowded awful smiles ever when I was young, and was able to have braces without removing any teeth. One of my children's teeth seem to be coming in just like mine. The other is just as crowded, but not in the same pattern.

Upvote 0