• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

braces/orthodontists

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by christine40, Oct 12, 2018.

1. christine40

christine40 Well-Known Member

+4,126
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    has any of your children/teens had braces?

orthodontists in our area uses different braces or methods
    has anyone used the Damon method?
    is one kind of braces better than another?

thanks in advance for any info!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. GoingByzantine

GoingByzantine Seeking the Narrow Road Supporter

+821
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Allow me to make a suggestion.

Make sure you pick the right Orthodontist, avoid the places that look like assembly lines. If there is a room lined with a bunch of chairs and the doctor hops between patients, it is likely that your child will not get the best care. The best orthodontists treat each patient individually, and provide their full attention to the treatment of your child's teeth. 9/10 of the assembly line places will view your kids as quick money, and will largely not care about their individual needs.

Take this from my personal experience. My parents sent me to an assembly line style orthodontist (7-8 years ago), and my teeth are now ruined forever. The doctor also mocked me in front of other patients in the assembly line, and caused me to develop a fear of dentists that I never use to have, and still am working to overcome.

3. christine40

+4,126
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    so sorry this happened to you!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  4. christine40

+4,126
    United States
    Christian
    Married

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  5. christine40

+4,126
    United States
    Christian
    Married

6. christine40

+4,126
    United States
    Christian
    Married

7. Odetta

Odetta Thankful for grace

+213
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    My kids both finished their braces in the last year. They had the normal ones, same as I had a few decades ago. The only other kind I know of is invisiline. Never heard of the other you mentioned.

Regarding GoingByzintine's post, I agree with her that a smaller, more personal shop is better. My kids used to go to an assembly line dentist, and an assembly line orthodontist for their first set of orthodontal work (not full braces, just prep work a few years before the full braces so that the full set wouldn't take as long). Insurance changed, and we had to go with a smaller practice for their full braces set. Much, much better experience.

8. christine40

+4,126
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    thanks for your reply!

we ended up doing 2 consults

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  9. christine40

+4,126
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    would you get a third opinion?

10. Dave-W

Dave-W Grandparent of six grandchildren, #7 on the way! Supporter

+11,763
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    If you are uncomfortable with the choices you have, absolutely.

11. akmom

akmom Newbie

+310
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Going Byzantine, what do you mean by your teeth are ruined? Did they not end up straight? Were they damaged?

I had good luck with mine as a kid. Two of my kids have model teeth... perfectly straight, never had a cavity, no "bite" issues. The other two make the dentists cringe. They had crooked baby teeth, which is pretty uncommon, and the permanent set just got worse. Too young for braces, but we've had a few consults. My main concern is cost, and whether the orthodontist removes teeth. I don't like the idea of removing teeth. It never looks right. Each tooth is different, so it doesn't look right if some are missing. They look out of order. Unless you remove the very back ones, maybe. But then you lose function. I'll shop for an orthodontist who will make them fit! Even if they're in braces for years.

12. christine40

+4,126
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    we did two consults and both recommended tooth removal
    don't like idea of teeth removal, either

13. akmom

akmom Newbie

+310
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Can they expand the jaw?

14. Dave-W

Dave-W Grandparent of six grandchildren, #7 on the way! Supporter

+11,763
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    That is some really invasive and painful surgery.

15. akmom

akmom Newbie

+310
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Jaw expansion is fairly routine for orthodontists...

16. christine40

+4,126
    United States
    Christian
    Married

if we'd gone for a consult at age 7, which is when it's recommended, then maybe something else could have been done then, idk but obviously too late now

17. akmom

akmom Newbie

+310
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Are you sure it's too late? I consulted with an orthodontist as early as 5 for one of my kids, and they determined it was too early for that kind of treatment, but did remove some baby teeth prematurely for my 8 year old to make room. Of course every case is different. But just because you put off the consult that was recommended by age 7 doesn't necessarily mean you missed the window.

I have an adult friend who had the jaw expansion in her 30s, and though this was admittedly not the ideal window, it was effective for her and she has a beautiful straight smile without having had to remove teeth because of her small jaw.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. christine40

+4,126
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    we went to two orthodontists for consults
    both were recommended to us by more than one person

thought about going for third consult as just wasn't sure
    instead I went back to one with a list of questions and do feel confident now

thanks for you input!

19. christine40

+4,126
    United States
    Christian
    Married
  20. akmom

akmom Newbie

+310
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    That's very informative. In her case, I assume that yes, all her teeth came in because she was in her 30s, but they were not straight. She had the orthodontic work done later in life to straighten the teeth. It was not an option for her family when she was young, but it was apparently a priority for her when she had the means to pursue it herself. I have no idea what the cost of this work would be (for an adult or a child).

If there was some problem with the teeth that prevented them from erupting, then I guess you'd just have to have them removed. What's the alternative? Implants for teeth that won't fit anyway? That seems unnecessary. I was really talking about removing healthy teeth simply because they didn't fit in a straight smile. More commonly, all the adult teeth make an appearance, but there is not room for them to "single file" and so they are crowded and look crooked. If you can only expand the top row, that would be enough for cosmetics (few people reveal much of their bottom teeth when they smile). I wonder if bottom teeth frequently have to be removed for reasons of crowding. I mean, bottom teeth are much smaller. So you'd think it'd mainly be an issue for the top anyway.

I don't know. The subject of removing permanent teeth has not come up for my children yet, so I haven't looked into it. If it does, I'll probably seek a second opinion, but probably not a third or a fourth. Unless both were very young and inexperienced orthodontists, or otherwise had a reputation for butchering their patients' smiles! I had large teeth and one of the most crowded awful smiles ever when I was young, and was able to have braces without removing any teeth. One of my children's teeth seem to be coming in just like mine. The other is just as crowded, but not in the same pattern.