United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nearly 1,000 young women have attained the rank

Growing up in Minneapolis, Isabella Tunney followed the progress of her older brother with admiration and occasional envy as he worked toward earning the Boy Scouts' prestigious rank of Eagle Scout. This weekend, at age 16, Tunney will be one of nearly 1,000 girls and young women honored by the Boy Scouts in a virtual celebration of the inaugural class of female Eagle Scouts. It's a major milestone, given the hallowed stature of a rank that has been attained over more than a century by astronauts, admirals, US senators, and other luminaries. Only in 2018 did the Boy Scouts start accepting girls as Cub Scouts, the AP reports; older girls were admitted into the flagship scouting program in 2019.

Boy Scouts Welcome First Female Eagle Scouts

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Should they still be calling it boy scouts?
I also think that a name change is in order. And better do the same for the girl scouts.

They are too easy to conflate as it is. Just by their name, one might think they are two branches of the same organisation, when in fact they are not only unconnected, but quite different.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I also think that a name change is in order. And better do the same for the girl scouts.

They are too easy to conflate as it is. Just by their name, one might think they are two branches of the same organisation, when in fact they are not only unconnected, but quite different.
The girl scouts are suing the BSA for them trying to change their name away from Boy Scouts.

But a name change is needed for both orgs, and the two scouting programs are very different and should not be aligned with gender.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Everyone knows I'm a liberal elite, but I must say, Boy Scouts was pretty good for me and I'd like to see the organization survive the culture wars and thrive - without retreating into some right wing ideological cave.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Should they still be calling it boy scouts?

I don't believe that the organization DOES call itself and the members "boy scouts."

However, the public is so familiar with the term that the average person continues to use that wording.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Everyone knows I'm a liberal elite, but I must say, Boy Scouts was pretty good for me and I'd like to see the organization survive the culture wars and thrive - without retreating into some right wing ideological cave.
For a moment there, I actually thought the message was going to be about the Scouts and it being a good organization.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
For a moment there, I actually thought the message was going to be about the Scouts and it being a good organization.
My message? It was a good message!

My Troop and council were a good organizations back in the day. Hopefully it still is. But My fear now is that Scouts is a pawn in the culture wars and will get sacrificed one way or another.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Boy Scout Eagle Program is a very special system of repetition and social reward that teaches a young teenager--and most are young--how to conceive a goal, determine how to reach that goal, reach it, be certified in it by an expert, and enjoy a social reward for doing so. Each of those merit badges represents having gone through that process again and again and again until it has become a personal habit.

And then the capstone is having to conceive of a community project--something that will be of permanent benefit to the community--plan it, carry the proposal themselves to city government and argue in its favor before the city, and then lead others in carrying it out.

Most Eagle Scouts have done all that by age 14 or 15. Unfortunately, the Girl Scouts don't have a program like that.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My message? It was a good message!

My Troop and council were a good organizations back in the day. Hopefully it still is. But My fear now is that Scouts is a pawn in the culture wars and will get sacrificed one way or another.
My friend, that has already happened and not because of any dastardly "right-wing" ideologues.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
My friend, that has already happened and not because of any dastardly "right-wing" ideologues.
Im not sure. Often conservatives err on the side of moral intransigency. They end up moral laggards because they are more committed to "how things were" than to whats right. Sometimes that instinct serves us well. Other times not.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'd say that it's rather the opposite. It's not Conservatives that are constantly attempting to phase out moral principles in favor of "do whatever you want," I hope you realize.
Sure. But youre only telling the upside of moral conservatism, and ignoring the downside.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sure. But youre only telling the upside of moral conservatism, and ignoring the downside.
It would have to have at least a semblance of credibility for that to happen. What I read sounds just like the comment that people who have no real knowledge of Conservatism tend to say--that it's all about defending the status quo or, if you prefer, a nostalgia for past times. That sort of thing.

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟406,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the Boy Scout Handbook 1911

On my honor I will do my best To do my duty to God
and my country and to obey the Scout Law; To help
other people at all times; To keep myself physically
strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

Scout Law - A Scout is: Trustworthy-Loyal-Helpful-Friendly-Kind
Courteous-Obedient-Cheerful-Thrifty-Brave-Clean-Reverent

The boy scouts used to help built strong Male leaders.
How far we have fallen, and how far will it get.

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟406,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
May 23, 2013
The national executive board of the Boy Scouts of America
voted to allow boys openly involved in homosexual activity
into the organization.
Boy Scouts of America votes to ease ban on gay members

Two years later, the Boy Scouts voted to end
a ban on homosexual scout leaders.
Boy Scouts Vote to End Ban on Gay Leaders

Two years later, the Boy Scouts voted to allow
transgender boys into the program.
Boy Scouts will allow transgender children into programs

Then Scouts announced plans to admit girls into the program.
Why Do the Boy Scouts Want to Include Girls?
-

Since 2002, the World Organization of the Scout Movement (wosm)
has required that condoms be made available at the World Scout
Jamboree, which is held every four years.

Boy Scouts to change name, drop 'Boy' and accept girls in 2019,
Boy Scouts to change name, drop 'Boy' and accept girls in 2019, organization says

The Left’s War on the Boy Scouts Has Raged for 100 Years
The Left's War on the Boy Scouts Has Raged for 100 Years

“Host organization must ensure that condoms are readily and
easily accessible for all participants and [International Service
Team] at a number of locations on the site.”
WOSM WSJ Guidelines EN 2016

"the condom mandate contradicts the Boy Scouts’ official oath
and Scouts Law to keep oneself “morally straight,” “reverent
toward God,” and “faithful in your religious duties.”
Boy Scouts to make condoms ‘readily and easily accessible’ at upcoming global gathering

This shows they are both anticipating and facilitating
sexual conduct between minors at these event.

The Bible instructs people to flee fornication, which is
all sexual activity before marriage (1 Corinthians 6:18).

It forbids adultery, which is all sexual activity outside
of marriage (Exodus 20:14). It also forbids both homosexuality
and inappropriate behavior with animals (Exodus 20:14; Leviticus 18:22-23; Romans 1:24-27).

Encouraging America’s youth to embrace sexual immorality
has lead to broken hearts and broken families.

• Informative
Reactions: 98cwitr
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As an Eagle Scout, class of 1986, I congratulate these women. It's hard work! I remember back in the early 1980s going to a Canadian Scout camp and finding out that the Canadians and British Scouting programs were co-ed. As I remember, they did not have a completely separate Girl Scout program. Instead the troops were either male or female, but troops did work together.

There are also sub-programs within the Scouts both of which are co-ed, Venture Crews (outdoor activity oriented) or Explorer Posts (typically vocational such as a fire department). The big thing that the traditional Boy Scouts are recognized for is the advancement program culminating in the Eagle. Explorer scouts dont have any advancement and Venture has their own system (ALPS) but it is optional.

Upvote 0