A. believer

Contributor
Jun 27, 2003
✟22,460.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
James Swan has a moving post on his "Beggars All" blog from the Reformation era.

Calvin in Dialogue with Catholic Apologists

The conclusion to the debate he records as follows,
There was not a single word of rebuttal. 'No one wanted to expose himself, not even Mimard [who made the charge] or Blancherose, the spokesman.' History records that in the moments following, a Franciscan friar, Jean Tandy—noted as a capable preacher who had denounced the Reformers from his pulpit—spoke, his words filled with emotion:

"It seems to me that the sin against the Spirit which the Scriptures speak of is the stubbornness which rebels against manifest truth. In accordance with that which I have heard, I confess to be guilty, because of ignorance I have lived in error and I have spread the wrong teaching. I ask God's pardon for everything I have said and done against His honor; and ask the pardon of all of you people for the offense which I gave with my preaching up until now. I defrock myself henceforth to follow Christ and His pure doctrine alone...''
Amen!

A. believer

Contributor
Jun 27, 2003
✟22,460.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Tonks said:
I wish I could get in my wayback machine and go spy on the Christ when he said "hey Pete, go build my Church."

Prolly not going to happen though...

Sure, but I'm not talking about going back to some time in history to see "what really happened." I'm just talking about being in a time and place to have witnessed an awesomely moving moment.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
A. believer said:
Sure, but I'm not talking about going back to some time in history to see "what really happened." I'm just talking about being in a time and place to have witnessed an awesomely moving moment.

I know. I was being a bit of a curmudgeon. I agree that it would have been interesting.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.