Box of Stained Glass Bought at Auction Solves 80-year Mystery of Church Windows Gone Missing...

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,587,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...During WWII

A wood carver who bought a box of stained glass at auction was shocked to discover he had unwittingly solved the 80-year mystery of their disappearance from a church during WWII.

Colin Mantripp, 63, purchased what he thought was a box of fragments of stained glass when it went up for auction, intending to use it to create original windows in his handcrafted doors.

But when he arrived in July last year at Roseberry’s Auctions in London to pick up what was sold as “a box of stained glass”, he was shocked to find an eight foot long and three foot wide box which weighed over 600 pounds.

It was covered in dirt and so massive they needed six people to carry it.

“I just couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I thought, this is an incredible amount of glass; I was delighted,” said Colin, from Bourne End, Buckinghamshire.

“For £300 I thought I bagged a bargain—and I didn’t even know about its history. They’re so beautifully done which is normal from that era when there was such an incredible attention to detail.

Continued below.
Box of Stained Glass Bought at Auction Solves 80-year Mystery of Church Windows Gone Missing During WWII