Bouncing between Mr. Atheist and Girl Defined over Raunch Culture!

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seriously? I asked her a more concise definition and you gave me this?

OR, do you think I should take into fuller consideration all of what Mr. Atheist says in his video (in the OP) and thereby critiques the 'definition' which Girl Defined asserts?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
We're not talking about just 'any' religion here, Bub!

Of course we are, and don't call me bub....friend.

And yes, virginity is a 'real' physical thing, and something that I valued when I became a Christian

Lol no, it's not. Unless you would like to tell me what your virginity looks like I suggest you stop being silly.

I don't really give a rat's petute about what "other religions" [other than maybe some forms of Judaism] have thought, could have thought, or do think.

Rats petute? Calm now....no reason for vulgarity.

No, while this specific thread is OPEN for discussion from all points of views, I will of course engage the whole topic from my own Christian point of view while everyone else contends for their own point of view.

We can focus on Christianity if you want...

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course we are, and don't call me bub....friend.
Ok. Ana ol' pal, ol' friend! :cool:

Lol no, it's not. Unless you would like to tell me what your virginity looks like I suggest you stop being silly.
Do you mean to say that virginity in itself is not a 'thing,' or do you mean to say instead that it's not something I could even have remotely and truly valued as a 'thing,' even whether I actually did remain a virgin or not during my adolescence and early adulthood and then on up and to my marriage?

Perhaps we need to set a minimal understanding of what the 'valuing' of virginity can be or could be: in my estimation, it can simply be at the least---even though one may indeed have a difficult time with follow through in a culture where Raunch is available and waiting---a preference for a state of social investment where one hopes, all things considered, to retain some level of sexual fidelity, even purity (Christian holiness?), as one works toward social interaction, living and relationship building with a significant other [spouse?]. Of course, we all know, even from the Bible, that this 'realized ideal' is few and far between for most people, much if not most of the time.

Rats petute? Calm now....no reason for vulgarity.
Alright. I'll rephrase: I don't give a rat's right paw ... :rolleyes:

We can focus on Christianity if you want...
OR more relevant to the occasion of this thread, we can focus on Raunch culture as bounced between the vision of, say, Mr. Atheist, or Hugh Hefner and other friends on one side of the divide, and that of Girl Defined, Paul the Apostle, or other prophetic friends on the other side. :cool: ...and somewhere in the middle of all of that will be me, bouncing around like a pinball in a pinball machine.

But since you've entered the discussion, go ahead and lead in whatever challenge or nuance you'd like to address, from your own angle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ok. How about this for starters, Ana?

Raunch culture definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

BUT with the Christian modification that where you see the term "women" by itself, you just simply replace it with "men and women," and add the addendum at the end of that modified definition: with some allowance of influence upon minors of all ages through mainstream culture.

It'll look like this when done:

A culture which promotes overtly sexual representations of men and women, as through the acceptance of inappropriate contentography, stripping, nudity in advertising, etc, esp when this is encouraged by men and women, with some allowance of influence upon minors of all ages through mainstream culture.​

Then I'd have to say it's influence is so minimal it's not worth concern.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then I'd have to say it's influence is so minimal it's not worth concern.

Ok then. How do you think it should be defined since my definition is apparently unworthy enough to even sit beneath a pile of donkey doo? :dontcare:

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ok. Ana ol' pal, ol' friend! :cool:

Do you mean to say that virginity in itself is not a 'thing,'

It's not a physical thing....it's entirely conceptual. You mentioned "god doesn't want us to throw it in the gutter"...but it can't be thrown, into a gutter or anywhere else.

You claimed it's a physical thing ....it isn't.

Perhaps we need to set a minimal understanding of what the 'valuing' of virginity can be or could be: in my estimation, it can simply be at the least---even though one may indeed have a difficult time with follow through in a culture where Raunch is available and waiting---a preference for a state of social investment where one hopes, all things considered, to retain some level of sexual fidelity, even purity (Christian holiness?), as one works toward social interaction, living and relationship building with a significant other [spouse?]. Of course, we all know, even from the Bible, that this 'realized ideal' is few and far between for most people, much if not most of the time.

Oh I think we can do better than that....

How about this? Virgin = a conceptual state of having no sexual experience.

Therefore valuing "virginity" is essentially valuing the lack of any sexual experience in a person.

I think that's much easier to understand and far more accurate.

OR more relevant to the occasion of this thread, we can focus on Raunch culture as bounced between the vision of, say, Mr. Atheist, or Hugh Hefner and other friends on one side of the divide,

What makes you think Hefner and Mr Atheist agree on anything to do with sexuality?

and that of Girl Defined, Paul the Apostle, or other prophetic friends on the other side. :cool: ...and somewhere in the middle of all of that will be me, bouncing around like a pinball in a pinball machine.

Do you think Paul would approve of the girls preaching about what "god" values?

But since you've entered the discussion, go ahead and lead in whatever challenge or nuance you'd like to address, from your own angle.

You have yet to show that any of this stuff is of any significant influence at all.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ok then. How do you think it should be defined since my definition is apparently unworthy enough to even sit beneath a pile of donkey doo? :dontcare:

I don't have a problem with the definition.

It's the claim that these things are in some significant ways influencing the lives of men ,women, and children that I doubt.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's not a physical thing....it's entirely conceptual. You mentioned "god doesn't want us to throw it in the gutter"...but it can't be thrown, into a gutter or anywhere else.
It may seem as if it's conceptual, but the word "conceptual" is itself a form of conception and may have different applications, uses or in the case of both (I'd say) religions and also irreligion, abuses.

You claimed it's a physical thing ....it isn't.
So, it IS physical in the 'sense' that it is a daily state that a person and their relation to other persons, sexually speaking, is "in designation."

Oh I think we can do better than that....

How about this? Virgin = a conceptual state of having no sexual experience.

Therefore valuing "virginity" is essentially valuing the lack of any sexual experience in a person.

I think that's much easier to understand and far more accurate.
Ok. I'll allow you a hearing on this, although I think you know I disagree.

What makes you think Hefner and Mr Atheist agree on anything to do with sexuality?
What makes you think they don't?

Do you think Paul would approve of the girls preaching about what "god" values?
Why, I'm so glad you asked. To a limited extent, YES, why....YES I do think he'd approve. I guess you haven't seen the various posts I've made on this topic over the last few years. That's ok. It's not your fault if you missed them because they weren't posted in your usual forum hangout spots.

You have yet to show that any of this stuff is of any significant influence at all.
First off, in saying "this stuff," what are you referring to? The topic of Raunch Culture? That of Virginity? That of the Speech-Act of defining the concept of virginity? Legal considerations? What precisely?

As for the application of these concepts, your statement about "this stuff" seems to smack of Pragmatism. Yeah, I don't think its relevance, from the Christian perspective, depends on whether or not all people everywhere can 'see' the relevance or the use for it. No, I think it goes philosophically deeper than mere Pragmatics and/or Utility.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It may seem as if it's conceptual, but the word "conceptual" is itself a form of conception and may have different applications, uses or in the case of both (I'd say) religions and also irreligion, abuses.

Well, here's a definition for conceptual....

Definition of CONCEPTUAL

And for concept...

Definition of CONCEPT

Let me know if there's any more trouble with the word conceptual.

So, it IS physical in the 'sense' that it is a daily state that a person and their relation to other persons, sexually speaking, is "in designation."

It's entirely conceptual. If the word and concept didn't exist ...it's not as if we would have to invent a word. For example, it's not as if we have words for other levels of sexual experience. If someone has only had sex a few times....we just say they've only had sex a few times. If someone has had a lot of sex...we just say they've had a lot of sex. We could completely eliminate the word virgin from our language without missing anything.

Ok. I'll allow you a hearing on this, although I think you know I disagree.

It doesn't really matter if you disagree or not....that's exactly what the word means, it's what the concept is.

We could describe a girl who blasphemes every day...she works on Sunday, she eats shellfish, she makes pacts with demons and says disrespectful things about her parents....

....but if she's never had sex, she's still a virgin. She can watch inappropriate contentography all day, strip for money at night, and wear see-through clothes all the time....but if she's never had sex, she's a virgin .

Words have meaning.

What makes you think they don't?

Because despite your transparent attempt to group them together....there's no actual evidence they share any beliefs.

Why, I'm so glad you asked. To a limited extent, YES, why....YES I do think he'd approve. I guess you haven't seen the various posts I've made on this topic over the last few years. That's ok. It's not your fault if you missed them because they weren't posted in your usual forum hangout spots.

Fair enough.

First off, in saying "this stuff," what are you referring to? The topic of Raunch Culture?

Yes.

As for the application of these concepts, your statement about "this stuff" seems to smack of Pragmatism.

You would do better to just address my posts and not try to apply whatever labels you think describe them.

Why do you think inappropriate contentography (for example) is influencing the way women dress or whether they have sex before marriage?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, here's a definition for conceptual....

Definition of CONCEPTUAL

And for concept...

Definition of CONCEPT

Let me know if there's any more trouble with the word conceptual.
So, you're not willing to modify the definition as needed? I find that troublesome and to be a bit analytically inhibited. Don't necessarily get stuck in other human being's denotations, I always say! :rolleyes:

It's entirely conceptual. If the word and concept didn't exist ...it's not as if we would have to invent a word. For example, it's not as if we have words for other levels of sexual experience. If someone has only had sex a few times....we just say they've only had sex a few times. If someone has had a lot of sex...we just say they've had a lot of sex. We could completely eliminate the word virgin from our language without missing anything.
What kind of silliness is this? People make up words to fit whatever new concepts they think of, time and cultural acceptance permitting.

Words like "virginity" do have significance, that is, historical significance that has its reality in the physical structures of our overall Space-Time Continuum, and just brushing them aside because any one of us doesn't happen to "FEEL" that it may be relevant to our here and now is performing just a bit of unethical hand-waving............................. :mad:

Besides, it's not my fault that the culture in, say, the U.S. has begun to dip southward so much that many are feeling guilty and having neuroses, breakdowns, and who knows what other kinds of mental goings-on, some that have been exemplified in various episodes of Criminal Minds, that everyone feels a compulsion to get rid of that little bug-a-boo of a concept we all call......................virginity.

Anyway, we don't have to focus and harp on virginity, as if its the locus of this whole thread, 'cuz it ain't! NO, the problem is Raunch Culture and how and what we're all going to DO about it!

It doesn't really matter if you disagree or not....that's exactly what the word means, it's what the concept is.
Not exactly; and not by any kind of physical necessity does the word have to mean what we say it means, nor does it have to continue to do so. Words are funny like that, although the actual phenomena in the world to which they reference ........ may not be so funny, like 'rape,' or, 'Raunch,' or 'Infidelity.'

We could describe a girl who blasphemes every day...she works on Sunday, she eats shellfish, she makes pacts with demons and says disrespectful things about her parents....
Ok. Ana is going to describe "a girl who blasphemes every day...she works on Sunday, she eats shellfish, she makes pacts with demons and says disrespectful things about her parents...."

Alright. And?

....but if she's never had sex, she's still a virgin. She can watch inappropriate contentography all day, strip for money at night, and wear see-through clothes all the time....but if she's never had sex, she's a virgin .
Yes, she would be a virgin in body, but like me and a multitude of other folks (which may 'dern near' be just about everyone else as well these days), a fornicator and adulterer in mind. (Duh! Let's give a big applause for the influences upon us of ... Raunch Culture!!! *clap**clap*clap**clap**clap*!)

Words have meaning.
Yes, and so do actual actions in the on going collective stories of our respective lives, don't they?

Because despite your transparent attempt to group them together....there's no actual evidence they share any beliefs.
Oh................you have time to go through the evidence? I'm guessing you watched the video in the OP for starters, right?

You would do better to just address my posts and not try to apply whatever labels you think describe them.
No, I wouldn't do better. To do so may be to give you authority of pronouncement that neither you nor I may actually have all by our little selves, alone. [... some Foucault cookies, anyone?]

Why do you think inappropriate contentography (for example) is influencing the way women dress or whether they have sex before marriage?
Yes, but that's not the only thing. It's also a cultural attitude ... one that has come about essentially because "Let Freedom Ring" has finally become the catch-all phrase in society [otherwise known as the term "excuse"] and, moreover, some room has now been made for those women who consider themselves to be willing, ready and able on the already existing cultural Playboy Bandwagon, or what has been becoming the Play-people Bandwagon. o_O Of course, some folks just call that the 'hook-up culture.'

I guess you haven't read or listened to any Paula Kamen of late, or other, various feminist voices, like Ariel Levy? (Or you have, but you've made it a point to ignore them, perhaps?)

Just a side note, Ana. Maybe you're wondering why I speak to you in such 'tones.' It could be (and probably is) that I'm trying to provide a wake-up call service to you, for your benefit, one that you're not allowing other Christians who work in your office to provide you. And the best part of it is, my services are free.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So, you're not willing to modify the definition as needed? I find that troublesome and to be a bit analytically inhibited. Don't necessarily get stuck in other human being's denotations, I always say! :rolleyes:

It's important that we understand each other to some degree if we're to have any communication.

What kind of silliness is this? People make up words to fit whatever new concepts they think of, time and cultural acceptance permitting.

Oh good...we agree it's a concept.

Not exactly; and not by any kind of physical necessity does the word have to mean what we say it means, nor does it have to continue to do so. Words are funny like that, although the actual phenomena in the world to which they reference ........ may not be so funny, like 'rape,' or, 'Raunch,' or 'Infidelity.'

Again, if we're going to have any meaningful communication...we have to understand each other.

Ok. Ana is going to describe "a girl who blasphemes every day...she works on Sunday, she eats shellfish, she makes pacts with demons and says disrespectful things about her parents...."

Alright. And?

Yes, she would be a virgin in body, but like me and a multitude of other folks (which may 'dern near' be just about everyone else as well these days), a fornicator and adulterer in mind. (Duh! Let's give a big applause for the influences upon us of ... Raunch Culture!!! *clap**clap*clap**clap**clap*!)

Your problem then isn't simply about controlling the bodies of women but their minds as well?

Yes, and so do actual actions in the on going collective stories of our respective lives, don't they?

Actions, like words, have what meaning we give them.

Oh................you have time to go through the evidence? I'm guessing you watched the video in the OP for starters, right?

I did...and Mr Atheist didn't reference Hefner for any of his beliefs.

No, I wouldn't do better. To do so may be to give you authority of pronouncement that neither you nor I may actually have all by our little selves, alone. [... some Foucault cookies, anyone?]

Alright.

Yes, but that's not the only thing. It's also a cultural attitude ... one that has come about essentially because "Let Freedom Ring" has finally become the catch-all phrase in society [otherwise known as the term "excuse"] and, moreover, some room has now been made for those women who consider themselves to be willing, ready and able on the already existing cultural Playboy Bandwagon, or what has been becoming the Play-people Bandwagon. o_O Of course, some folks just call that the 'hook-up culture.'

Freedom is the problem?

I guess you haven't read or listened to any Paula Kamen of late, or other, various feminist voices, like Ariel Levy? (Or you have, but you've made it a point to ignore them, perhaps?)

No, I haven't. I'm not sure what modern feminism has to offer these days.

Just a side note, Ana. Maybe you're wondering why I speak to you in such 'tones.' It could be (and probably is) that I'm trying to provide a wake-up call service to you, for your benefit, one that you're not allowing other Christians who work in your office to provide you. And the best part of it is, my services are free.

Oh good...I'm really glad you brought this up...

You know I've been here a long time, I remember your posting style from long ago. You've always had a tendency to be "wordy" and had a tendency towards overly broad topics that don't necessarily lend themselves to online forums.

Recently though, I've noticed that your tone has taken a more frantic, rambling, perhaps even paranoid tone to it. It comes off very mocking, condescending, and maybe....as if you're entertaining notions of grandiosity.

I'm curious if anyone in your personal life has mentioned that they've noticed a change in you...or your behavior? There's actually a lot of things that could be causing this, some more serious than others, but all of them are going to be treated more effectively the sooner you seek help. It can be difficult for you to see the difference....because it's going to seem like a more natural transition for you....but do you feel "different" in any way? Like different from how you felt a year ago?

I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing this up myself...but you did bring up the tone of your posts, so I don't think it's inappropriate for me to comment on this.

• Friendly
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's important that we understand each other to some degree if we're to have any communication.
Of course, but it appears that despite all of the rigors of various Theories of Communication we could pull out and apply, you and I, on some level, just don't agree about the Zeitgeist. And that, my dear friend, affects "All."

So, we can pick probably just about any topic, and rather than high-5 each other with mutual understand, we'll end up with a severe head-butt, even if accidentally. :cool:

Oh good...we agree it's a concept.
But is that enough to say this, because one concept is not by any necessity the same in nature as any other odd-ball concept we can pick out and toss around. So, trying to "reduce" things conceptually with the claim that 'such-and-such' is a mere concept is a bit dubious, maybe even presumptuous, maybe even, at times, dishonest.

Again, if we're going to have any meaningful communication...we have to understand each other.
Sometimes, understanding each other requires that we both do much, much more than merely use the same grammar and syntax.

Your problem then isn't simply about controlling the bodies of women but their minds as well?
CONTROL? The only "control" that is being inserted here, or should be inserted into this conversation, is self-control. That is, up and against those social forces that would like to insist that we can do away with sexual self-control, and not only insist that we do, but approve of such and to aggrandize such looseness as a "cultural norm." Are we understanding each other?

Actions, like words, have what meaning we give them.
Not necessarily. Again, more disagreement.

I did...and Mr Atheist didn't reference Hefner for any of his beliefs.
And I never said he did. I didn't say that this kind of conversation should merely be an exercise in on providing a BA for Mr. Atheist, but rather it might require us to go outside of Mr. Atheist's 'text,' and find further bits of the reality from outside.

Yes, it most definitely is Alright.

Freedom is the problem?
It can be. But freedom is a malleable concept isn't it? It might not be that it is freedom that is the problem, but the kind of freedom that is installed within society as "the Norm," wouldn't you say?

No, I haven't. I'm not sure what modern feminism has to offer these days.
Granted, it is a mixed-bag, but that doesn't alleviate the responsibility that we men (and I assume you're a fellow man) have to listen to the feelings, needs and expressed capacities of women. Wouldn't you agree?

Oh good...I'm really glad you brought this up...

You know I've been here a long time, I remember your posting style from long ago. You've always had a tendency to be "wordy" and had a tendency towards overly broad topics that don't necessarily lend themselves to online forums.

Recently though, I've noticed that your tone has taken a more frantic, rambling, perhaps even paranoid tone to it. It comes off very mocking, condescending, and maybe....as if you're entertaining notions of grandiosity.

I'm curious if anyone in your personal life has mentioned that they've noticed a change in you...or your behavior? There's actually a lot of things that could be causing this, some more serious than others, but all of them are going to be treated more effectively the sooner you seek help. It can be difficult for you to see the difference....because it's going to seem like a more natural transition for you....but do you feel "different" in any way? Like different from how you felt a year ago?

I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing this up myself...but you did bring up the tone of your posts, so I don't think it's inappropriate for me to comment on this.

ImpureThirdBillygoat-size_restricted.gif

:zap::zap::zap:

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Of course, but it appears that despite all of the rigors of various Theories of Communication we could pull out and apply, you and I, on some level, just don't agree about the Zeitgeist. And that, my dear friend, affects "All."

So, we can pick probably just about any topic, and rather than high-5 each other with mutual understand, we'll end up with a severe head-butt, even if accidentally. :cool:

Well I can agree that we disagree about the Zeitgeist. You're sitting there complaining about Hugh Hefner and Playboy, they aren't really relevant anymore. Girls nowadays sell nude photos and explicit videos online through apps like Snapchat right through their phones. It's not really even considered taboo amongst anyone under 30.

Inside the world of selling nudes online

But is that enough to say this, because one concept is not by any necessity the same in nature as any other odd-ball concept we can pick out and toss around. So, trying to "reduce" things conceptually with the claim that 'such-and-such' is a mere concept is a bit dubious, maybe even presumptuous, maybe even, at times, dishonest.

Sure but this concept doesn't exist as anything other than a concept. It's a holdover from when daughters were traded away as wives like cattle.

Sometimes, understanding each other requires that we both do much, much more than merely use the same grammar and syntax.

Sure....but we need to understand grammar and syntax first.

CONTROL? The only "control" that is being inserted here, or should be inserted into this conversation, is self-control. That is, up and against those social forces that would like to insist that we can do away with sexual self-control, and not only insist that we do, but approve of such and to aggrandize such looseness as a "cultural norm." Are we understanding each other?

I don't know what social forces insist on sexual promiscuity ....I will say that society is certainly less judgmental in general.

How can you tell the difference between the two? Insistence and tolerance?

Not necessarily. Again, more disagreement.

What other meaning are you thinking of?

And I never said he did.

Oh good, we agree again.

It can be. But freedom is a malleable concept isn't it? It might not be that it is freedom that is the problem, but the kind of freedom that is installed within society as "the Norm," wouldn't you say?

Freedom includes freedom to make choices Philo personally disagrees with.

Granted, it is a mixed-bag, but that doesn't alleviate the responsibility that we men (and I assume you're a fellow man) have to listen to the feelings, needs and expressed capacities of women. Wouldn't you agree?

Seems like women feel like showing their goods on Snapchat....for 10$ a pop. Personally, I feel bad for the young guys today....I used to get nudes for free.

If you feel like talking, I'm here.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well I can agree that we disagree about the Zeitgeist. You're sitting there complaining about Hugh Hefner and Playboy, they aren't really relevant anymore.
That's the silliest notion I've heard in a long time. That's like saying that the bottom layer of bricks that run across the base of a wall aren't relevant to the bricks above it, with the past being envisions as the the lower most bricks.

No, I'm call to have to rely on some Philosophy of History as it contributes to some metaphysics of our Reality, even Social Reality, and call "Horse Hockey" on your evaluation here. Let's get something straight, Hefner and his competitive ilk, imitators and successors, like Bob Guccione, Larry Flynnt, and Paul Raymond, and who knows after them, have influenced world culture with their raunchy junk.

Girls nowadays sell nude photos and explicit videos online through apps like Snapchat right through their phones. It's not really even considered taboo amongst anyone under 30.

Inside the world of selling nudes online
And is this supposed to be an improvement that somehow illustrates that things are ............. "better"? I mean, what is this supposed to even tell us? That it's somehow 'ok' because it's being normalized in our culture now? (And I can't access your link. You may have to offer a quick summary of it.)

Sure but this concept doesn't exist as anything other than a concept. It's a holdover from when daughters were traded away as wives like cattle.
Says you. There's a lot of metaphysical posturing and assumption that hides behind this statement of yours. Of course, you're "free" to see it from that angle alone and not have to assess any other angle with philosophical measure, but this doesn't make your statement 'true.'

Sure....but we need to understand grammar and syntax first.
And semantics.

I don't know what social forces insist on sexual promiscuity ....I will say that society is certainly less judgmental in general.
And the jury is still out as to whether or not being less judgmental is a "good" thing, Axiologically speaking of course.

How can you tell the difference between the two? Insistence and tolerance?
The difference will first have to be evaluated by stating which denotation of "tolerance" you think IS at play and which one you think SHOULD be at play in society, because my notion of tolerance might not be your notion ...

In my view, there is compatability for both insistence and tolerance, at the same time.

What other meaning are you thinking of?
One doesn't have to be told that some action is not only painful but beyond the norms of usual human interaction. Otherwise, sociopathy and psychopathy wouldn't be really separate domains of moral and psychological status, just as they have for the most part always been, even if under different languages and conceptualizations in various cultures.

So, let's at LEAST say that not ALL actions ONLY have the meaning we give them. No, some of our qualitative attributions come not by mere observations, but because----if we're normal psychologically---we'll feel something between pain and pleasure, even right and wrong. But in cultures that decay, well, those feelings get a little bit pasted over and ignored, sometimes while even supposedly extolling the virtues of some other replacement concept such as "consent," but when actually observed, it's double-talk for "capitulation" to social dysfunction.

Oh good, we agree again.
Not really. That's a minor point; the major point is that for folks who are lazy, it's easy enough to pull info up on Hefner's Playboy Philosophy and compare his thoughts with the random thoughts on the same subject matter as we find here in Mr. Atheist's video (which again, I'm sure you watched thoroughly so as to be 'in' an actual discussion with me in a relevant way, right?)

Freedom includes freedom to make choices Philo personally disagrees with.
You might keep in mind that what you may perceive from me as being 'Political Rhetoric' isn't aimed as overturning any lack of foresight in Legislation and Obscenity that have been put [unwisely] in place to loosen these things up over the past 50 years (or so). No, I'm just offering a free public service on a Christian Forum. [And how dare a Christian do that on what is primarily a Christian forum, anyways? Am I right, or am I right?]

Seems like women feel like showing their goods on Snapchat....for 10$ a pop. Personally, I feel bad for the young guys today....I used to get nudes for free.
I'd almost find this funny if it weren't for the fact that this isn't really funny.

If you feel like talking, I'm here.
About what? My "paranoia"? My "grandiosity"? My "frantic rambling"? Your attempt to seemingly "profile" me because I'm outspoken and have awakened to what I think are larger spiritual truths and ramifications that the population of the world today doesn't seem to get (and probably won't if the Bible really does have anything to say about it all?) :dontcare:

But seriously, if we're going to talk, let's keep this focused on the contents of the OP video.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's the silliest notion I've heard in a long time. That's like saying that the bottom layer of bricks that run across the base of a wall aren't relevant to the bricks above it, with the past being envisions as the the lower most bricks.

No, I'm call to have to rely on some Philosophy of History as it contributes to some metaphysics of our Reality, even Social Reality, and call "Horse Hockey" on your evaluation here. Let's get something straight, Hefner and his competitive ilk, imitators and successors, like Bob Guccione, Larry Flynnt, and Paul Raymond, and who knows after them, have influenced world culture with their raunchy junk.

Ok....how? There's really no Hefner imitators, magazines aren't really relevant because nobody really reads them. As a brand, Playboy is almost gone....most young women today probably have no idea who Hugh Hefner is.

It's just the way things are going ...

The summary is that men and women do things with each other and nobody really cares.

Says you. There's a lot of metaphysical posturing and assumption that hides behind this statement of yours. Of course, you're "free" to see it from that angle alone and not have to assess any other angle with philosophical measure, but this doesn't make your statement 'true.'

You can pretend that it means something more all you like....but at the end of the day, you can't really prove any of that stuff is real.

And semantics.

Sure.

And the jury is still out as to whether or not being less judgmental is a "good" thing, Axiologically speaking of course.

I suppose that all depends on how much shame you think people should feel for being people.

The difference will first have to be evaluated by stating which denotation of "tolerance" you think IS at play and which one you think SHOULD be at play in society, because my notion of tolerance might not be your notion ...

I don't care about "should". The tolerance at play is normal human behavior under a legal framework. If they aren't breaking any laws...people have learned to tolerate it...sort of.

In my view, there is compatability for both insistence and tolerance, at the same time.

Well you're wrong then...you can insist on a behavior or you can tolerate it.

One doesn't have to be told that some action is not only painful but beyond the norms of usual human interaction. Otherwise, sociopathy and psychopathy wouldn't be really separate domains of moral and psychological status, just as they have for the most part always been, even if under different languages and conceptualizations in various cultures.

So, let's at LEAST say that not ALL actions ONLY have the meaning we give them. No, some of our qualitative attributions come not by mere observations, but because----if we're normal psychologically---we'll feel something between pain and pleasure, even right and wrong. But in cultures that decay, well, those feelings get a little bit pasted over and ignored, sometimes while even supposedly extolling the virtues of some other replacement concept such as "consent," but when actually observed, it's double-talk for "capitulation" to social dysfunction.

Not sure if you're arguing that because psychology has terms like psychopathology to describe certain clusters of traits....virginity must have some deeper meaning....but that's obviously wrong. Maybe you're arguing that because you feel very strongly about it....it must have some deeper meaning...also not true

Not really. That's a minor point; the major point is that for folks who are lazy, it's easy enough to pull info up on Hefner's Playboy Philosophy and compare his thoughts with the random thoughts on the same subject matter as we find here in Mr. Atheist's video (which again, I'm sure you watched thoroughly so as to be 'in' an actual discussion with me in a relevant way, right?)

I literally watched it so you wouldn't ask me every other post if I watched it....and apparently that's going to happen either way.

Stop asking questions I've already answered.

You might keep in mind that what you may perceive from me as being 'Political Rhetoric' isn't aimed as overturning any lack of foresight in Legislation and Obscenity that have been put [unwisely] in place to loosen these things up over the past 50 years (or so). No, I'm just offering a free public service on a Christian Forum. [And how dare a Christian do that on what is primarily a Christian forum, anyways? Am I right, or am I right?]

Right....you're complaining.

I'd almost find this funny if it weren't for the fact that this isn't really funny.

I'm not sure what to tell you....you're part of a dying belief system. People don't have much use for it...and it lacks the influence it once had. Times change.

About what? My "paranoia"? My "grandiosity"? My "frantic rambling"? Your attempt to seemingly "profile" me because I'm outspoken and have awakened to what I think are larger spiritual truths and ramifications that the population of the world today doesn't seem to get (and probably won't if the Bible really does have anything to say about it all?) :dontcare:

But seriously, if we're going to talk, let's keep this focused on the contents of the OP video.

Well you turned the discussion into "you". If you want to avoid this....stop talking about yourself and your motives. There is a certain rambling nonsense to your posts that looks like you're coming apart. I won't talk about your motives if you don't .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't care about "should". The tolerance at play is normal human behavior under a legal framework. If they aren't breaking any laws...people have learned to tolerate it...sort of.

Thank you. That's what I wanted to hear you confess. Now I know what mindset I'm clearly dealing with when I'm talking with you from now on.

Feel free to begin to "educate" me as to how you think I "should" think under the ever changing law.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. That's what I wanted to hear you confess. Now I know what mindset I'm clearly dealing with when I'm talking with you from now on.

Feel free to begin to "educate" me as to how you think I "should" think under the ever changing law.

We can debate the truth of ideas...but the morality of human behavior is an endless debate with no truth to be found.

Reminds me of a quote from Machiavelli....

"How we live is so different from how we ought to live that he who studies what ought to be done rather than what is done will learn the way to his downfall rather than to his preservation."

Have a nice day Philo.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We can debate the truth of ideas...but the morality of human behavior is an endless debate with no truth to be found.
I agree with you that many issues dealing with human morality are open to debate, but that doesn't mean there isn't at least the possibility of arriving at some modicum of truth, even if that truth is often a matter of waiting to being hit squarely in the face by Reality.

But then, I know, someone will ask, "what is Truth?" How Troublesome.

Reminds me of a quote from Machiavelli....

"How we live is so different from how we ought to live that he who studies what ought to be done rather than what is done will learn the way to his downfall rather than to his preservation."

Have a nice day Philo.
From what I understand, one needs to be cautious when handling Machiavelli; one could gain the suspicion that he's had the habit of telling people what they want to hear.

And likewise, have a great day, Ana!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We might be a little overly saturated, at least in the sense that making something taboo and injecting guilt can help spice things up.

Might explain why I see in secular circles where they pride themselves in being sexually liberated, that there is often still a tone that what they're talking about and doing is still "naughty". A remennt of our Christian culture.

For many sex without guilt and shame just isn't.. sexy.. lol.

Humans do seem to have a tendency to be masochists when it comes to demonizing things that are enjoyable, lol. Or why those who seem the most puritanically about sex often seem to have hidden sleazy sex lives.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you that many issues dealing with human morality are open to debate, but that doesn't mean there isn't at least the possibility of arriving at some modicum of truth, even if that truth is often a matter of waiting to being hit squarely in the face by Reality.

How? How would you arrive at a moral truth?

I'm sure you believe it true that it's morally good to wait until marriage before having sex. How would you propose to demonstrate/prove the truth of that?

From what I understand, one needs to be cautious when handling Machiavelli; one could gain the suspicion that he's had the habit of telling people what they want to hear.

And likewise, have a great day, Ana!

Awww...all the philosophy you've read and you never delved into The Prince?? It's a singular work....there's nothing like it.

Upvote 0