On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you think something does or does not happen/change to you when you are born-again?

2 Cor. 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Gal 6:15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

"New creature" in what sense? Has anything changed? If so, what?

Peter says (1Peter 1:23) Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Born again of incorruptible seed. What does this mean about "self"?

PS My understanding is we are born spiritually dead (soul and body). When we are born again of incorruptible seed by the Spirit, we are spirit alive (spirit and soul and body) and, like in the physical, may grow spiritually.

Reactions: sunlover1

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you think something does or does not happen/change to you when you are born-again?

2 Cor. 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Gal 6:15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

Peter says (1Peter 1:23) Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

PS My understanding is we are born spiritually dead (soul and body). When we are born again of incorruptible seed by the Spirit, we are spirit alive (spirit and soul and body) and, like in the physical, may grow spiritually.

No one is innocent!
Veil of virtue hung to hide your method while I smile and laugh, dance and sing your praise and glory while you lie, cheat, and steal. and I tolerate you!!!!!!!!!

Tool- Intolerance with lyrics - YouTube

Upvote 0

New Legacy

Dec 7, 2013
✟2,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Born again was a term taken from a scripture passage to describe a series of theological assertions by evangelical Americans in the 1960s.

The fact that the bible says that must be 'born again' does not mean that one can define 'born again' any way they wish and that description becomes scriptural.

In other words, scripture says to be 'X'.

So another group comes in and says-
X means A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I... etc

Upvote 0

Yoseft

Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
United States
✟11,811.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

I can only share what happened to me as a fact.

After accepting Him as Messiah and the Only Way....

The next few days, as I worked on my car, as I have done many times before
(1964 Nova with a 327) the wrench slipped, and I busted a knuckle, and let out a curse word.

It bothered me, and I knew I should not.

Three days before my born again experience, I would not have thought twice
about letting out a bad word.

When I got in my 64 Nova, and turned on my car stereo, and it played
Led Zeppelin, the music sounded strange, different.

I had this yearning for new music, and rock and roll had to go.

From then on, only Christian music, sounded correct to my ears.

I could go on and on about the changes I noticed.

No one preached to me you should not curse, or the Lord should be
Lord of your music.

I new inner witness came to live inside me.

So yes "something" does happen when you accept Jesus as Lord!!!!:)

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like to use this passage to shed light on the question of what does the term " born again " mean, because it has no previous links with Old Testament topics like justification, circumcision, covenant, etc.

Acts 17
22So Paul stood in the midst of the Areopagus and said, “Men of Athens, I observe that you are very religious in all respects.23“For while I was passing through and examining the objects of your worship, I also found an altar with this inscription, ‘TO AN UNKNOWN GOD.’ Therefore what you worship in ignorance, this I proclaim to you.24“The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands;25nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to allpeople life and breath and all things;26and He made from one[bless and do not curse]man[bless and do not curse]every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined[bless and do not curse]theirappointed times and the boundaries of their habitation,[bless and do not curse]27that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us;[bless and do not curse]28for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, ‘For we also are His children.’[bless and do not cur29“Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man.[bless and do not curse]30“Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all[bless and do not curse]people[bless and do not curse]everywhere should repent,31because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead.”

Paul states that men have previously depended (had faith ) on different gods made of precious stone or metal for food, health, long life, protection, etc. in return for upkeep and sacrifice, and says that those views were wrong. The God who created them was not made of marble or gold, but was Spirit and required that they exhibit justice, mercy and love in their lives. Being all powerful, He did not need to be looked after, or otherwise provided for. He created men and placed them in different situations so that they would learn who He was (the Father who gave them their character) and what He required from them (depend on Him to act righteously, and not depend on their efforts at doing their jobs or running their businesses or getting skills or property to live selfishly, with help from idols) because He would judge them based on how they used the opportunity He gave them to recognise and grow to become children of their true Father, through a Man who gave an example of how this was done, confirming it by raising Him from the dead.

Those who respond to this are said to be born again. They sell everything, give the proceeds to the poor and become a follower of Christ. Or they ask for terms of peace, time to prepare, but make efforts to support those who have become full time followers of Christ.

Those who do not respond remain children of their adopted father, who was a murderer and a liar from the beginning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yoseft

Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
United States
✟11,811.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
"Re Word Keeper" I like to use this passage to shed light on the question of what does the term " born again " mean, because it has no previous links with Old Testament topics like justification, circumcision, covenant, etc.

Great post!

Made me think...

To me, His Shed Blood, His taking my sin, taking the sin of the world,
paved the way for what those in past before Him, could never obtain.

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

From Samson, to Elijah.

The Spirit would come upon them, but not a permanent inner dwelling, that He
paved the way for! Glory!!

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think he just means you must accept Jesus Christ as personal Lord and Savior and say the sinners prayer and your saved.Obviously its what that means. :)

Luther loved the Roman Catholic Church and its teachings. He only wanted the corruption to be rooted out. He never expected to be excommunicated! Post excommunication, he turned to doctrinal issues, resulting in the baby being thrown out with the bath water. Even taking into consideration the normal percentage of misunderstanding of Scripture, a surprisingly high portion of RCC doctrine is comprehensive, logical and consistent.

The Reformation led to loss of some of the well thought out teachings of the old church.

Those who gave up the world to follow Christ DID inherit the Kingdom:

Luke 12
32"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom.

John 3
3Jesus replied, "Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.

Luke 11
20But if I drive out demons by thefinger of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

Lemme see, I appreciate the Eastern Orthodox for their authenticity, the Roman Church for their reasoning and logic: I might as well be hanged for a sheep and say the prosperity gospel is to be appreciated for their zealousness! Some wag said they would rather be part of a live heresy than a dead orthodoxy.

Not that it has to be either!

PS Everyone's wrong, it's just a matter of how much!!

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus did say that you must be born again to see/enter the kingdom of God.

John 3:3
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. KJV

Being born again is the only way any person can be reconciled to God.

2 Cor 5:18
And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; KJV

The Prophet Ezekiel saw in the spirit what God would do when a person was born again.

Ezek 36:26-27
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. KJV

Ezekiel saw that God gave a person that was born again a new spirit.

Ezekiel also saw that God did something else extraordinary!

Ezekiel saw that God not only gave the person a new spirit.

He saw that God actually put His Spirit within the person.

Jesus said that experience was about to become available.

John 14:16-17

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. KJV

Jesus revealed that the Comforter which is the Holy Spirit would come and abide with the person forever and that the Holy Spirit would be in them.

Any person can be born again by the word of God, which is incorruptible seed.

1 Peter 1:23
Being born again, not of corruptible seed , but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. KJV

The word of God that gets a person born again is this.

Rom 10:9
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
KJV

No person can be born again by works.

It is a gift of God by grace through faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Born again was a term taken from a scripture passage to describe a series of theological assertions by evangelical Americans in the 1960s.

The fact that the bible says that must be 'born again' does not mean that one can define 'born again' any way they wish and that description becomes scriptural.

In current conventional usage this is indeed the case. I think (or hope) that what Standing Up is looking for is what did the Our Lord and the Apostles mean when they spoke of being born again/having new birth and new life.

I think he just means you must accept Jesus Christ as personal Lord and Savior and say the sinners prayer and your saved.Obviously its what that means. :)
Go wash your fingers off with soap right now for typing those bad, bad words, Mister!

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

So, you're thinking this doesn't mean something?

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Re Word Keeper" I like to use this passage to shed light on the question of what does the term " born again " mean, because it has no previous links with Old Testament topics like justification, circumcision, covenant, etc.
Great post!

Made me think...

To me, His Shed Blood, His taking my sin, taking the sin of the world,
paved the way for what those in past before Him, could never obtain.

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

From Samson, to Elijah.

The Spirit would come upon them, but not a permanent inner dwelling, that He
paved the way for! Glory!!

That's interesting; in that sense, Jesus is "poking some fun" at Nicodemus who wouldn't/couldn't know what it meant. The master teaching the "master" who humbles himself to learn.

Do you think John's baptism of repentance has any links to OT topics?

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think something does or does not happen/change to you when you are born-again? Yes.

"New creature" in what sense? Has anything changed? If so, what? When one is born again he is then indwelled with the Holy Spirit. He is born of that Spirit. What John calls 'born of God'.

Born again of incorruptible seed. What does this mean about "self"? "Self" is worthless to God.

PS My understanding is we are born spiritually dead (soul and body). When we are born again of incorruptible seed by the Spirit, we are spirit alive (spirit and soul and body) and, like in the physical, may grow spiritually. I would not be in agreement with that understanding.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi SU,

Well, parts of it are correct. Yes, we are born spiritually dead to God. That is what man has inherited over the ages from Adam. And yes, being born of the Spirit of God will cause spiritual growth, but that is just a consequence of being born again, it is not the event of being born again. There are actual immediate changes that take place in the body of one who is born again. Now, these changes are not things that others can see from the outside and the only one who knows that they are born again is the person themselves.

This is what Jesus meant when speaking of being born again to Nicodemus. He told him, "The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

We cannot see that others are born again, but there are evidences that indicate that someone is. The first being that they know and believe the truth. One of the jobs that Jesus said was that of the Holy Spirit who would come after him, was to lead those who were so born into all truth. Another to convict of sin and righteousness.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Grace, the difference is grace: God's life/Spirit dwelling within.

Do you understand this "dwelling" as a permanent "new creature", as a born-again of incorruptible seed? Or as a temporary dwelling from which the Spirit may move in and out of?

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Do you understand this "dwelling" as a permanent "new creature", as a born-again of incorruptible seed? Or as a temporary dwelling from which the Spirit may move in and out of?
It's us who may receive or reject the Spirit. Adam broke communion with God-and died. Through Christ we're born again, or born from above, but He doesn't force us to remain there-we can turn away again, being rocky ground where the word takes root but later withers and dies.

5“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 John 15:5-7

4You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. Gal 5:4

4 Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at first. 5 Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. 6 But you have this in your favor: You hate the practices of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.

7 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.
Rev 2:4-7

For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world through the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first. For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them. 2 Pet 2:20-21

For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt. Heb 6-4-6

The whole point of our Christian faith is to learn what Adam apparently didn't know: that apart from God we can do nothing; we must enter into communion with God-and remain there.

Upvote 0

New Legacy

Dec 7, 2013
✟2,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So, you're thinking this doesn't mean something?

It refers to a person that has become a Christian.

It does not refer to all that other baggage people give it.

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Either of those quotes could also say "new creation" (and the NASB renders it so in the latter).

I believe they are related to Eph. 4:24 and Col. 3:10, both of which refer to replacing the "old man" with the "new man" who was "created" in the image of God.

I believe they relate to our being "in Christ," who is the "last Adam." In Christ, the curse of the Fall is undone, even though we only experience the first fruits and down payment of that in this life.

I'm not sure. I'm the same person I was before I was born from above, except that I'm not.

I don't believe we are "born dead," but I do believe we all "die" and need to be regenerated, which happens when we believe and receive Jesus.

Upvote 0