Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The local newspaper came out with a large section on the border and the wall, or proposed wall, between the US and Mexico. There's a lot of good information if anyone would like to check it out. I found this article especially compelling. It talks about the effects of the border wall on the Tohono O'odham nation. A nation which the border cuts in two.

http://tucson.com/special-section/b...cle_775236c6-39a4-11e6-b708-6789aff41a1e.html

Reactions: Shiloh Raven

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It breaks my heart even more to read stories like this. The Tohono O'odham nation is barely holding on to what scraps of land they have left, not to mention the poverty and the crime they have to deal with on their Rez. It truly saddens me to know that most non-NDN Americans choose to turn a blind eye to this still happening to NDNs today.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It breaks my heart even more to read stories like this. The Tohono O'odham nation is barely holding on to what scraps of land they have left, not to mention the poverty and the crime they have to deal with on their Rez. It truly saddens me to know that most non-NDN Americans choose to turn a blind eye to this still happening to NDNs today.

Like a lot of things we don't like to deal with it's interesting how, as a society, we've managed to keep NDN issues out of our sight and out of our mind. Even living so close to the Tohono O'doham nation, I didn't realize exactly the negative impacts the border has had on it's people.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The fence did similar things too. Something horrifying..when they put up the fence part before they waived laws that protected Native American graves. It's disgusting. And the wall carries on the issues of the fence.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And on that note, it is truly disgusting and incredibly pathetic for the United States of America when there has to be a federal law passed, the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), just to protect Native American burial sites and the remains of our ancestors. It is even more pathetic when that law was not passed until 1990. But even after the law was passed, it is still challenged in the courts and it is often times completely ignored and disregarded by many non-NDNs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Quoting one of NDN Country's most respected and honored leaders and activists, John Trudell, "Historically speaking, we went from Indians to pagans to savages to hostiles to militants to activists to Native Americans. It's 500 years later and they still can't see us. We are still invisible." We are still invisible and we are still marginalized in this country.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Do you mean individually or collectively as a nation and are you only referring to the Tohono O'odham nation or to Native Americans in general?

Individually about these issues. We're all a bit blind to issues that don't involve us, you know? I know more about Jewish issues than anybody here I'd imagine. So I'm happy this was brought to attention. But what can we do to help as individuals?

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Individually about these issues. We're all a bit blind to issues that don't involve us, you know? I know more about Jewish issues than anybody here I'd imagine. So I'm happy this was brought to attention. But what can we do to help as individuals?

My short answer to you, in generalized terms, is put actions to your words. If a non-NDN claims they want to help our people then they need to put actions to their words and follow through. It is not uncommon to hear a non-NDN claim that they want to help NDNs but it is uncommon for most of them to follow through and keep their word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for sharing the link, Tad. I seriously doubt the next president will respect the treaties protecting NDN land. He has given no indication that he even respects Native Americans and their sovereignty rights or that he will honor the treaties.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bumping up Tad's old thread about how a border wall will affect the Tohono O'odham nation and their struggle to protect their land. Please post any links, news or videos related to these issues here. I think these issues deserve a separate thread.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The way the people in Arizona have been treated in the process of this pipeline is very tragic...

The water issue for others in Arizona is also impacted by the wall being built. Something I hope others keep in mind is that the land is not (as many seem to think) "empty" - and in regards to our historical precedent with Native American citizens, we can't even begin discussing a wall being built without seeing where it is discrImination/unjust since we already have Native Americans living on reservations that are on BOTH sides of the Border - in memory of what their tribes already went through for centuries ...so unless we want to go back to Indian Removal policy, we need to pause. Other Native Americans oppose the wall for valid reasons:

1) They are a sovereign nation,
2) They have family (tribal members) living on both sides of the border
3) They lived in this area long before the nation was made and their land was here before the border even existed (as they still live on their ancestral homeland). The T O nation has around 40,000 tribal members as well as the second largest reservation in the US (the size of Connecticut) which straddles the US MEXICAN border in Arizona for 74 miles. There are several other Tribes as well with laws protecting them since they are transnational cultures (https://vimeo.com/78837185 ) - and from their perspective, they've already see the same thing happening that has occurred with Native Americans historically with land.​

If Native Americans haven't gone through enough, it should be evident for any really concerned with Civil Rights - OR MLK - that this is not acceptable to make policy based on fear/isolationism. Studying Tohono O’odham Nation for my Masters, I'm very concerned to see people know little about their situation that has been going on since the U.S/Mexican border was made. Border Patrol agents and a steel-post fence already make it difficult for the O’odham people to freely cross the border to visit relatives and traditional sacred sites in Mexico. But building a border wall would cement that division even further

Essentially, with this wall built, many are ignoring where we have ZERO right to move in/build without consulting the tribes (just as it was with Standing Rock) since they don't care to see things go down as if we're invading another country - no different than interacting with Spain or another country. Nation-to-Nation law comes before discussions on walls...

I am quoting your post from the Standing Rock thread because I would like to further this discussion here in this thread. As I said in my previous post, I think these issues are deserving of a separate thread. I look forward to further discussion.

• Agree
Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Tohono are one of the groups which I did studies on for my Masters with Dr. Jim Piecuch (with the Journal of the American Revolution), as they came to my mind and light of the people saying they would like to have a wall built since many do not have any awareness of the Native American tribes Living On the Border who have been given permission legally by their treaties to cross on both sides of it.

And yet they have been disrespected by border patrol....

Tohono O’odham and other groups (like the Kickapoo or the Apache) have been present for a long time - noting how much they need others to truly respect what they feel with Borders not just being lines or walls.
They have lives here that NEED to respected - and as one of the key things to be focused on in the first 100 days of office is to build a Wall (Here Is What Donald Trump Wants To Do In His First 100 Days ), I do hope there is serious consideration to the folks living there who have been speaking for a LONG time.

As a point to remember, their tribal land runs 75 miles along the Arizona/Mexico border and they have been VERY direct in saying why it is a major concern seeing their Treaty Land Rights not considered at all if focusing on building a border wall on their tribal land...and they’re not alone in this endeavor, as they have the support of powerful members of Congress not making it truly possible to even build wall - meaning there will be a 75-mile-wide gap in Trump’s border wall, should he get the opportunity to build it. BUT The tribes have long noted their ancestral rights - and if more of the same will continue in violating what they were promised, it is not going to be a small issue (Border Fence Must Skirt Objections From Arizona Tribe ) - Vice Chairman Verlon Jose was on record saying "Over my dead body will anyone build a wall there. I will personally do whatever is necessary to make sure a wall is not built there," as he noted the tribe's position against the wall. There are a lot of issue the local Tribes already face when it comes to multiple issues...profiling from police figures due to concerns about drug smugglers, crime and terrorism - and others who lack birth certificates (As they have different ways of identification as Indigenous People on their own Reservation) have had to deal with not being considered American citizens even though they were born on the Arizona portion of the reservation.

Prayers do go to Jose, who was among a small group of tribal leaders who met with Trump in June of this year. President Elect Trump announced a Native American Coalition, although he has not offered any Indian policy specifics, including whether he would build the wall without the consent of the Tohono O'odham Nation (Leaders of three tribes meet Donald Trump during Arizona stop ).
As my friend Aaron Carapella said best, time to stand in solidarity.

And for more info:

-"Imaginary Borders, Real Obstructions" (
)
-"walking_the_line Tonoho border" (
)
-"Tohono O'odham and U S Border Patrol" (
)
-"THE BORDER: The Tohono O'odham Nation" (
)
-"Living on US-Mexico Border, Native Americans Face Daily Struggles" ( Living on US-Mexico Border, Native Americans Face Daily Struggles )
-"Connecting Communities: Tohono O’odham Nation" ( walking_the_line Tonoho border )
-"Another Side of the Border" ("Another Side of the Border": A screening of the UA student-produced documentary | University of Arizona Libraries )
-"Documentary: “Another Side of the Border”" ( Documentary: “Another Side of the Border” )​

Also, For more reference, one can go to "Tohono O'odham Nation – Living through the border | U.S. - Mexico Borderlands" ( Tohono O’odham Nation – Living through the border )

For another awesome review, I would recommend others investigate the ways that Tohono live their lives...more here in "A Voice in the Desert" (( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjlG7P3NDWU )- "This film details the story of the Tohono O'odham whose traditional lands are bisected by the US-Mexico border fence built in 2008. The fence and the subsequent militarization greatly impact the O'odham way of life.

And for things to remember, I am thankful others are keeping this in mind (Beyond The Wall: Border fence cuts Tohono O'odham Nation in half )

Other tribes on the U.S. Canadian border have had the same exact battles and have noted these things since the Jay Treaty...so it makes a difference doing historical review on the matter before going into things based on fear. The bottom line reality is that our leaders, just as with the previous president, must be held accountable - and this is one of the starting points to become prepared for.

Treaties are massive issues for Native Peoples and part of greatness means learning to honor your word to the people who are HOSTS of the Land - and remembering how seriously God took it when boundaries were violated that ancestors took time to set up....

"Do not move your neighbor's boundary stone set up by your predecessors in the inheritance you receive in the land the LORD your God is giving you to possess." (Deuteronomy 19:14)

"Cursed is anyone who moves their neighbor's boundary stone." Then all the people shall say, "Amen!" (Deuteronomy 27:17)
"Do not move the ancient landmark that your fathers have set." (Proverbs 22:28)

Pulpit Commentary says of the prohibition against moving boundaries:

"In a country where property was defined by landmarks - stones or some such objects - nothing was easier than to remove these altogether, or to alter their position. That this was a common form of fraud and oppression we gather from the stringency of the enactments against the offence (see Deuteronomy 19:14; Deuteronomy 27:17; and comp. Job 24:2; Proverbs 22:28)."
If we did not learn from the past with violating Sovereign Nations in their territory, it will show in how we treat the Native People from here on out - and not letting nationalism keep us from honoring. Period. It was already enough of a problem with #StandingRock, #NDP #StandingRock! #NoDAPL! - BUT if trying to make a nation "Great" means VIOLATING in great ways, that is not something we need to see as a leap forward.....and as believers, we HAVE to hold the line.

You provide such excellent and concise resources, my friend. Thank you for your commitment and contributions here.

• Agree
Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0