• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Books that we should not read?

Discussion in 'Christian Only Teens Common Area' started by loyant, Sep 26, 2009.

1. loyant

loyant Newbie

+1
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Others
    I like reading memiors and stuff. My favorite one is Running with Scissors. So I decided to read his other books. He is gay but I like reading about the lives of other people. I also like reading horror or science fiction stories. Is that wrong also?
    Could bad spirits be sent?

2. catzrfluffy

catzrfluffy i come bearing .gifs

+508
    Christian
    Private
    The bible says that "an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one." (1 Cor. 8:4) so I don't think an object can make you possessed. That demonology-list stuff's just paranoid. But if what's written in a book causes you to sin maybe read something else, but if it doesn't, feel free.
    running with scissors? like so?...
    [​IMG] dangerous, lol.

3. Aino

Aino God's own

+450
    Christian
    Married
    I just quoted this same verse in the previous thread I responded to, but I think it applies here quite well also, so I'll go for it. It's 1. Cor. 10:23-33, you should read it.

When it comes to bad spirits, I don't think you'll get those from reading books... The danger in some secular books is that you might find yourself imitating the way they live and do stuff without even noticing it. So be careful, don't make them idols, and remember to read you Bible as well to make sure you remember who'se your actual hero and you'll be fine. :) God bless!

4. tpk

tpk The Preacher's Kid

+205
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    IMO, it all comes down to how something affects you. If doing a certain thing changes your behavior for the worse or causes you to make bad decisions, then you should not partake in such actions. But if you are unaffected by it and your faith in God is unaffected by it, then IMO, it's OK as long as it's not a sin or something.

5. abbiestract

abbiestract Guest

+0
    just make sure if you read books like harry potter that you dont get sucked into the witchcraft & stuffs

6. liesje

liesje Singing in the rain

+26
    Christian
    Private
    This, but be careful, because sometimes things can change your thinking in subtle ways. I think it's probably best to steer clear of things that glorify something you know to be wrong. I don't have a problem with science fiction or fantasy so long as it's not glorifying something that goes against what's right. If that makes sense.

7. loyant

loyant Newbie

+1
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Others
    Thanks!
    The answers cleared things up :)

8. tpk

tpk The Preacher's Kid

+205
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    You're welcome. Feel free to ask any more questions might have as well or participate in any other discussions around here. :)

9. Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree Veteran

+71
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    *facepalm*

10. HisHouse

HisHouse New Member

+1
    Christian
    Married
    there is no harm in reading just do not get too addicted or do not believe all the things you read such as witchcraft. inspirational books for teens is one of the best kinds of books we should read like chicken soup for the soul

11. Sir Francis

Sir Francis Newbie

+2
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I've had experience with some friends that read books like these. I wouldn't say that they were "possessed" however they acted much differently after reading these books. Some of the books that brought about this change did not even appear aesthetically evil until I noticed their effects. Ever since then I've avoided most books at all costs except of course the Bible. It seems to have been doing me some good because I have not been taken over by evil spirits yet.

12. Tallerthanatree

Tallerthanatree Veteran

+71
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    And I've read many things other than the Bible, and have yet to be taken over by evil spirits. Imagine that.

13. Tarvarno

Tarvarno Newbie

+5
    Christian
    Private
    US-Constitution
    While reading about such things as demonology might not be able to directly harm you, your interest in the topic (or others like it) could be dangerous. I don't understand very well how the spirit world works, but it just bring to mind something from The Screwtape Letters:
    "There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them. They themselves are equally pleased by both errors and hail a materialist or a magician with the same delight."

14. Wyatt1992

Wyatt1992 New Member

+1
    Christian
    Single
    I don't think it's right for people to be told what they can read I read the entire Harry Potter series and as far as I know I'm demon-free. I don't see how reading a book can change you, and I very much doubt JK Rowling who has stated she believes in God and not magic would write books which encourage witchcraft.

I don't think any good author would set out to convert people into different beliefs.

I wiki'd Running with Scissors and although it seems like a very upsetting book I doubt you'll get any demons from it.

15. Skeptic90

Skeptic90 Epic Member

+23
    Atheist
    Single
    edit: oops my bad can't post here.

16. superdog

superdog This was a Triumph

+305
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    You know man. You should shut up. (Above post)

Well i think all books are fine when it's not about satanic things.