Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I posted this in the Traditional theology section, but maybe I should have posted it in this section: What books give a history of the Christian Church in England in the first 6 centuries (before Rome), besides Ven. Bede's? I've tried 3 times very hard and over numerous decades to get into his book without success. I know that British bishops were among those at a few ecumenical councils, even that before Nicea (Arles). That was in 312 AD. There was obviously much in England then.

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
You can also glean fragments from the correspondence between Gregory the Great and Augustine of Canterbury: Gregory I’s Letters About Augustine’s Mission to England

Perhaps the most significant quote in the whole lot is this line: "But of all British bishops we commit the charge to thy Fraternity, that the unlearned may be taught, the weak strengthened by persuasion, the perverse corrected by authority."

This instruction is particularly notable because it is nearly opposite of the instructions he was given in regard to the Gaulic bishops, and particularly the Archbishop of Arles. It implies that the Gaulic bishops were considered to be orthodox but the British bishops were not held in as high esteem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 11, 2019
Texas
✟46,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most of my recommendations focus more on Ireland than England, but thanks to the work of Irish missionaries, there's ties between the two.
  • St. Patrick's Confessio and his Letter to Coroticus are among my favorite works from the early British church and the Hibernian mission. This has already been recommended, but it's a recommendation worth repeating.
  • While not from the time period, Phillip Freeman's St. Patrick: A Biography gives a pretty good look at the early British Isles.
  • How the Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill details the Hibernian mission, which encompassed Scotland, England, and even parts of mainland Europe.

Upvote 0